Axe Fx III: Tuner on expression pedal heel down?

Megahertzz

I'm using the toe switch on my Mission EP1-RJM to switch between engaging and controlling volume or wah, and i want to have the tuner engaged when the pedal is used to control the volume (LED off), and in heel down position.
Is there any way of making this happen?

Are you using a System / Exp Pedal action to switch the expression pedal's functions? If so, just edit the Position Switch Actions to do nothing in the expression pedal settings for the wah, and add a System / Tuner and CC Toggle / Axe-Fx III Tuner action to the expression pedal settings for the volume pedal.

Are you using a System / Exp Pedal action to switch the expression pedal's functions?

I am not. The switch between volume and wah is set up per preset in the Axe Fx. I like to be able to use the toe switch for other effects when i'm not using wah in the preset. But the pedal always controls volume when the toe switch LED is off.
Is there a way to tell the GT to turn on the tuner IF the toe switch is OFF, AND the pedal is in heel down?

btw, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to MIDI.

Edit the "Exp Pedal 0" settings block in global settings. Make it have the same settings as your main expression pedal settings, but add a System / Tuner action to the Position Switch Actions at the bottom of the page. Also, check the Invert Position Switch checkbox.

In the external switch settings, add a this action: System / Exp Pedal #1 off:0 on:Global. This will select the expression pedal settings that allow the tuner to turn on when the switch is off, and will select the expression pedal settings that don't activate the tuner when the switch is on.

After you send these settings to the GT, go into settings mode on the GT itself, and go to Exp Pedals / Exp Pedal 1. Then, put the expression pedal in the position where you want the tuner to activate (when it goes below that position), and press Set Switch Position on the GT. Read the settings back into the editor and save them.

Edit the "Exp Pedal 0" settings block in global settings. Make it have the same settings as your main expression pedal settings, but add a System / Tuner action to the Position Switch Actions at the bottom of the page. Also, check the Invert Position Switch checkbox.

In the external switch settings, add a this action: System / Exp Pedal #1 off:0 on:Global. This will select the expression pedal settings that allow the tuner to turn on when the switch is off, and will select the expression pedal settings that don't activate the tuner when the switch is on.

After you send these settings to the GT, go into settings mode on the GT itself, and go to Exp Pedals / Exp Pedal 1. Then, put the expression pedal in the position where you want the tuner to activate (when it goes below that position), and press Set Switch Position on the GT. Read the settings back into the editor and save them.

Thank you so much. I'll try this.

There does appear to be something going on with the position switch - it's not registering like it should. I'll need some time to investigate.

Found it, it will be fixed in 4.3.1, probably coming out next week.
Has the issues with the position switch been worked out, is it possible to program the GT to turn on the tuner on volume pedal heel down now? I'm still very much in the dark about advanced midi programming, so any help would be appreciated.

Has the issues with the position switch been worked out, is it possible to program the GT to turn on the tuner on volume pedal heel down now? I'm still very much in the dark about advanced midi programming, so any help would be appreciated.

I did fix an expression pedal position issue in the last release. You may need to set your pedal position again, but that should be all that's required to make it work.

I did fix an expression pedal position issue in the last release. You may need to set your pedal position again, but that should be all that's required to make it work.
I updated the firmware and followed the instructions above. I think i'm a little closer now, The tuner activates on the MMGT but not on the Axe Fx. The display on the GT shows a big question mark, which I would guess is because the tuner isn't engaging on the Axe FX. Am I not supposed to use CC toggle action to engage the tuner on the Axe Fx in here somewhere?

I got the tuner working by adding a CC toggle #35 (tuner) in the Exp pedal 0 settings, but it engages regardless if toe switch is on or not. I'm guessing there should be something programmed into the settings of the toe switch (Ext. sw 1) to ignore the tuner when the switch is on?

You'll need to use expression pedal settings blocks. Edit the Exp Pedal 0 block in Globals. Make it the same as your existing expression pedal settings, except remove the tuner actions. Then, on the external switch, add an action like this:

System / ExpPedal: off:Global on:0

When the switch is on, it will use the settings with no tuner, and when the switch is off, it will use the global settings that include the tuner.

You'll need to use expression pedal settings blocks. Edit the Exp Pedal 0 block in Globals. Make it the same as your existing expression pedal settings, except remove the tuner actions. Then, on the external switch, add an action like this:

System / ExpPedal: off:Global on:0

When the switch is on, it will use the settings with no tuner, and when the switch is off, it will use the global settings that include the tuner.
It worked! Thanks!
But I have another issue now, there's a latency issue when using the pedal. Even slow movement makes the modifier on the Axe FX jump back and forth to keep up with the movement of the pedal, instead of getting a smooth swell.

GT setup file and Axe FX preset example below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78467pe26a4na38/Basic setup.rjs?dl=0

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7607

It's not a CPU issue on the Axe FX, it happens even if I have a preset with just a volume or wah block and nothing else.

there's a latency issue when using the pedal. Even slow movement makes the modifier on the Axe FX jump back and forth to keep up with the movement of the pedal, instead of getting a smooth swell.

It's not latency, it's the tuner that somehow interferes with the modifier the pedal is controlling. Instead of a smooth volume swell from completely silent, it jumps directly to not-so silent and tracks from there.

Back