Bank Up/Down via MIDI Controller

PianoMan

It would be nice to be able to send a basic Bank Up/Down command (to switch between songs in a setlist) via a MIDI source external to the PBC.

I would use this too! I'm planning on adding a Disaster Area midi baby 3 to my next board update, and I would love to be able to offload banking to its footswitches.

Yep, it was added! I have an MC6 on my board mainly to control my PBC and this is one of the things it does.
Awesome DB (PianoMan) thanks for getting back to me. I guess I would need a Midi Y cable was thinking of going from Disaster Area Midi Baby 3 to PBC6X then PBC6x from y midi cable to HX Stomp. I could also use an additional 2 button footswitch on RJM and an additional 2 button on Midi Baby 3. Does this sound good or should i just get a MC6mkII or Pro?

Recomendation on Midi Y cable?

Thanks man for hitting me back.

Lou

Awesome DB (PianoMan) thanks for getting back to me. I guess I would need a Midi Y cable was thinking of going from Disaster Area Midi Baby 3 to PBC6X then PBC6x from y midi cable to HX Stomp. I could also use an additional 2 button footswitch on RJM and an additional 2 button on Midi Baby 3. Does this sound good or should i just get a MC6mkII or Pro?

Recomendation on Midi Y cable?

Thanks man for hitting me back.

Lou
Personally I'm not a fan of MIDI Y cables for stuff like this, as changes to your board can make it useless if it's too short. If you have a soldering iron and a drill, then I recommend building a MIDI splitter box. You can get all the parts shipped to you for about $20, and you just have to make sure and run a full 5-pin MIDI cable from the PBC to it. Wiring is in the PBC 6/x manual.

As to which controllers to use...totally depends on what you want to do and how you want your rig to function. I personally have created a fully custom and in-depth user interface for my PBC rig that requires the use of something like an MC6 (it's fairly out of date, but here's a video that more or less explains what I do), but in my experience most people don't want to dive into MIDI world as far as I have.

Personally I'm not a fan of MIDI Y cables for stuff like this, as changes to your board can make it useless if it's too short. If you have a soldering iron and a drill, then I recommend building a MIDI splitter box. You can get all the parts shipped to you for about $20, and you just have to make sure and run a full 5-pin MIDI cable from the PBC to it. Wiring is in the PBC 6/x manual.

As to which controllers to use...totally depends on what you want to do and how you want your rig to function. I personally have created a fully custom and in-depth user interface for my PBC rig that requires the use of something like an MC6 (it's fairly out of date, but here's a video that more or less explains what I do), but in my experience most people don't want to dive into MIDI world as far as I have.
Cool, i build amps plexi replicas so yeah soldering is not an issue. Im a tech nerd too so midi is great and easy for me. Will check out your vid. Where can i find plans for a midi splitter. Oh sorry i just re read your message its in the manual. Thanks agian.

I suspected that would be the case given you have your amp company name in your signature. :)

Also, I'm a nerd who keeps the manual in his dropbox for easy reference, so here's the wiring for you:

1684160436125.png

I suspected that would be the case given you have your amp company name in your signature. :)

Also, I'm a nerd who keeps the manual in his dropbox for easy reference, so here's the wiring for you:

View attachment 2810

Hey mate, checked out your Instagram and you’ve got some fine builds. Really top quality and if I ever need anyone to build a board you’d be the first I’d call. Love the way you have merged the Morningstar with the 6/x, really clever.

Regarding the MIDI diagram you posted above, wouldn’t the MULTIBOX take care of converting the 6x MIDI port into an In/Out? Or have I missed something about it’s function. I’m thinking of doing something similar to your Morningstar/PBC combo but with a different controller since Morningstar is perpetually out of stock. I ran across and new device called MIDI Captain that should be able to do similar functions as your combo.

Hey mate, checked out your Instagram and you’ve got some fine builds. Really top quality and if I ever need anyone to build a board you’d be the first I’d call. Love the way you have merged the Morningstar with the 6/x, really clever.

Regarding the MIDI diagram you posted above, wouldn’t the MULTIBOX take care of converting the 6x MIDI port into an In/Out? Or have I missed something about it’s function. I’m thinking of doing something similar to your Morningstar/PBC combo but with a different controller since Morningstar is perpetually out of stock. I ran across and new device called MIDI Captain that should be able to do similar functions as your combo.
Appreciate the kind words!

It does look like the Multibox would do the job for you. The pins appear to match up with the diagram (pin 2 isn't shown on the multibox, but it's the ground connection, so I would assume it's covered).

Regarding the Morningstar stuff, I've read that they have a waitlist available if you email them. I don't know what wait times are for most products, but I've read on Facebook that the MC6 Pro wait times are just a couple of weeks. Might be worth looking into.

Appreciate the kind words!

It does look like the Multibox would do the job for you. The pins appear to match up with the diagram (pin 2 isn't shown on the multibox, but it's the ground connection, so I would assume it's covered).

Regarding the Morningstar stuff, I've read that they have a waitlist available if you email them. I don't know what wait times are for most products, but I've read on Facebook that the MC6 Pro wait times are just a couple of weeks. Might be worth looking into.

If the wait time is only a couple weeks that seems reasonable. I thought it would be much longer. The new MC6 Pro looks very tasty, do you think the lack of the extra buttons of the 8 would compromise it’s use much? I guess my natural thought is more buttons the better but who knows? I’m new to this world and committed to diving in hard. I’m exhausted from the tap dancing and determined to change that. I’ve got both the PBC 6/x and 10 but would try the Morningstar with the 6/x first. Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers…

If the wait time is only a couple weeks that seems reasonable. I thought it would be much longer. The new MC6 Pro looks very tasty, do you think the lack of the extra buttons of the 8 would compromise it’s use much? I guess my natural thought is more buttons the better but who knows? I’m new to this world and committed to diving in hard. I’m exhausted from the tap dancing and determined to change that. I’ve got both the PBC 6/x and 10 but would try the Morningstar with the 6/x first. Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers…

It all depends on what you want to do. I had the MC8 and swapped back to the MC6 purely because the extra size didn't provide enough benefit for my particular needs. With so many ways to access different functions on their controllers with a single button (tap, long tap, double tap, etc), I realized I could fit everything I needed on six buttons easily and make room for other pedals.

The Pro is really another kind of beast, and whether or not the extra functionality that comes with the color screens will be useful to anyone really depends on what they want to do. I personally don't need it to flip between pages on my PBC, so I likely won't ever get one, but there are plenty of use cases where it could be incredibly handy.

It all depends on what you want to do. I had the MC8 and swapped back to the MC6 purely because the extra size didn't provide enough benefit for my particular needs. With so many ways to access different functions on their controllers with a single button (tap, long tap, double tap, etc), I realized I could fit everything I needed on six buttons easily and make room for other pedals.

The Pro is really another kind of beast, and whether or not the extra functionality that comes with the color screens will be useful to anyone really depends on what they want to do. I personally don't need it to flip between pages on my PBC, so I likely won't ever get one, but there are plenty of use cases where it could be incredibly handy.

Yes it seems a tad overkill but if I can get 2-3 button presses for all, or most all, of my needs like you do in that video it would be a gigantic relief from my current situation. Maybe the 6 would be just fine but I kinda like new toys so I’ll probably get the 6 Pro anyway even if I won’t fully utilize all its functionality. Combined with the PBC it would seem like a very powerful combination.

Back