Beating the Buzzer on a Mark V

Micah

So I am finally putting together all of the equipment that I have been amassing for the past year and have come across a slight problem.

I have a Mesa mark five going into a rack gizmo which feeds into effects gizmo, all of which is controlled by a mastermind GT 22. The rack and effects gizmos are controlling two shelves of pedals so the set up is really quite simple.

Everything seems to be going fine with the exception of a buzzer type sound that appears to be coming from the Mark five when I try and switch from the green channel to the yellow channel while using the mastermind GT. The amp appears to try and switch to the other channel but stays on the green channel, it will only switch to the other channel when I push the preset button again. This does not occur in the reverse when going from red channel to yellow.

I have tried using the included Mesa foot switch and directly pressing the function switches on the rack gizmo and the only time I can reproduce the problem is when I am using the amp control cable running from the mesa to the rack gizmo.

Any thoughts what this is or how to fix it? I am crossposting to the rack gizmo thread because I'm not entirely sure but the problem lies with the interface cable. Thanks in advance,

Micah

This happens for a number of reasons. It could be a bad cable. Also, if more than one channel switch is turned on in the Rack Gizmo, that will cause it. Make sure the Rack Gizmo is set up so that pressing one channel switch turns off the other channel switches. To do this, power up the Rack Gizmo holding the Function Switch 4 button. The lights should flash briefly.

See if that helps, and if not, we'll take the next step.

Hi Ron,

Apparently that solution was short lived. The problem has come back despite my checking the connections, adding channels 1-3 to a group so their status is updated accurately, and repeating the suggestion you have above. Not sure the issue.

While not the subject of this thread, I did want to throw another one that I am sure is amateur hour to you. I have read every thread on how to set up a button for tap tempo. My basic understanding is this button will send that tempo to any MIDI capable device and they will synchronize to the master tempo set by the MMGT. If I am wrong on this please let me know.

I have one pedal that takes midi and can take a tap tempo, which is the Korg SDD-3000. I am able to do program changes and scroll through the banks, but cannot get the pedal to take a tempo. Aside from the number four LED being out on the FX Gizmo, this rig is about ready for prime time. Any thoughts on what I am missing? I fully admit that I am a newbie and this is my first time out of the gate with MIDI. I am uploading my current programing file and the implementation chart for the Korg in hopes that it is something simple that I have overlooked.

Thanks!

Attachments

• mmgt.rjs
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • SDD3000PEDAL_MIDIimp.txt
    32.3 KB · Views: 5
When and were did you buy the cable? It might be the source of the problem.

Your settings look correctly, except that you should remove the CC action from the button. There are two types of tap tempo, MIDI Clock, which does not use CC messages, and tap tempo CCs, which of course does use CC messages. You don't want to use both at the same time.

Setting MIDI clock to Master (which you've done) enables MIDI clock. That, plus turning on "Flash w/tempo" on your tap tempo button should be all that you need to do on the GT. Also, check your SDD-3000 - you might need to turn on a setting that tells it to receive MIDI clock.

I, uh, I bought the cable from the fine folks at RJM music earlier this year. I would assume that makes it perfect and bullet proof. I will check in with Korg on the other thing. I have gone through their manual three times and of not seen a setting that would enable MIDI clock receive, so I just assumed that it was already on.

Ok, please contact me through our support email on our website and we'll look into getting you a replacement.

Ok, on the SDD 3000, Korg wrote me that it does not sync to MIDI clock signals. I assume that means I need to use CC messages to do that. Is that something you can explain? It seems by your comment I was inadvertently on the way there. It looks to me that the MIDI chart says 17 or 18 is the correct CC, depending on if I want ms or bpm. If this does not work I am chucking it and getting a strymon or something. I love the tone but it has to play nice with others. Thanks and thanks for the quick shipment too!

Micah

As far as I can tell, the SDD-3000 doesn't accept any form of MIDI tap tempo or clock. I looked at their MIDI spec, and it tells how to edit and upload new programs (including the BPM parameters you saw), but there's no way to send it a new tempo by tapping. You probably should ask Korg to be sure about that, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Problem solved and rig is switching like a dream. Thanks so much for the help sorting the issue. Old cable should be there shortly. And now to sort out this delay pedal issue...

Sorry guys, this is the only place it will let me post my question, it says I have insufficient credit lol. My dilemma is I have a triple rec but a mini amp gizmo with a mark v cord. I'm just curious if anyone knows what the numbers operate. I figured out 1,2,3 and 6 lol

Back