Best Practices Using PBC Mixer on 6-10 Loops

sjgam

New to the PBC and have modulation pedals on loop 7,8 & 9 (chorus, phaser & flanger) and delay on loop 10.

My observation with PBC mixer is that in general parallel allows more of the original signal to come through and in series effect is thicker.

So for lead tones that have a mod and/or delay I use parallel so source tone comes through and for pure mod chain, I use series to make it thick as intended.

My delay is a Chase Bliss Tonal Recall RKM and has Mix dial and midi controllable presets so I can use Series and lower mix by preset and keep it in series if I want.

None of my mod pedals have mix or preset ability so I use the parallel and series at PBC preset level for them.

What are you guys doing with the mixer on PBC for series and parallel?

Last edited:
I do my modulation in series to get the full effect, and delay and reverb I do in parallel (with kill dry enabled on those effects).

I do my modulation in series to get the full effect, and delay and reverb I do in parallel (with kill dry enabled on those effects).

This is EXACTLY what I do as well. Mobius in loop 8 in series, Timeline and BigSky in 9 & 10 in parallel.

My observation with PBC mixer is that in general parallel allows more of the original signal to come through and in series effect is thicker.

I was using my Timeline in parallel since I got my PBC10 and always felt like I'm losing some tone, namely lower mids and bass. This remained even when all loops were off (dry always on) and it was most notable when doing low ambient swells. Turning off the 3rd buffer helped a bit, but it was still a bit thin sounding, especially with single coils.
Played like this for roughly a year and just recently went to all series (dry off). I often play guitar direct into amp at home and now my pedalboard sounds very close to that!
I first thought there might be something wrong with my PBC mixer, but your description explains the same thing.

I miss being able to play in parallel, as the original signal sits nicely on top of your mix like this. But I'm happier with the regained fullness of my sound.

To be fair: your sound guy will likely cut a lot of that "lost" frequencies anyways... Still I prefer doing that on purpose ;-)

I was using my Timeline in parallel since I got my PBC10 and always felt like I'm losing some tone, namely lower mids and bass. This remained even when all loops were off (dry always on) and it was most notable when doing low ambient swells. Turning off the 3rd buffer helped a bit, but it was still a bit thin sounding, especially with single coils.
Played like this for roughly a year and just recently went to all series (dry off). I often play guitar direct into amp at home and now my pedalboard sounds very close to that!
I first thought there might be something wrong with my PBC mixer, but your description explains the same thing.

I miss being able to play in parallel, as the original signal sits nicely on top of your mix like this. But I'm happier with the regained fullness of my sound.

To be fair: your sound guy will likely cut a lot of that "lost" frequencies anyways... Still I prefer doing that on purpose ;-)

Does the Mix dial on timeline (I have Tonal Recall Delay) help with balance of dry and delayed signal when you go in Series?

Does the Mix dial on timeline (I have Tonal Recall Delay) help with balance of dry and delayed signal when you go in Series?
The Timeline can do a dry kill, which I used when it was in parallel. Then you can set your Mix where ever you like it.
This doesn't work for the Chase Bliss pedals. You can only go full volume (Mix full CW) to achieve a 100% wet, which is in most cases too loud (but works well for ambient swells).
Now I just use the Mix on my Timeline for blending dry and wet like when using the pedal without a looper

Back