Bi-directional midi via USB?

matt-phaeleh

Hello all, new to the forum and the world of RJM.

Loving my GT16 since I’ve had it for the last few weeks. It’s mainly being used to send info to a computer, but is also doing some stuff to a couple of Strymon pedals and a Pigtronix Infinity Looper.

I’m using the GT16, alongside a Livid CNTRL:R (midi controller) and an on screen GUI made in Max/MSP to control Ableton Live. I’m controlling the same parameters in Ableton from all 3 input devices, as I’ll be using a different device depending on where I’ll be on stage and what instruments I’m playing at the time.

One thing that’s quite cool with the GUI and my midi controller is that if I change a parameter in Ableton, regardless of the input device, the other controllers will change their appearance/state to reflect what’s happening in Live. I was just wondering if it was possible to use bi-directional midi via the usb in this way, or if it would be easier to control the GT16s button states via the remote in function on the standard midi input?

Also, not sure where suggestions go, but had a couple for the editor, so hope it’s cool to drop them in here. (Feel free to move this bit if it's in the wrong place)

1 - Individual button upload - I quite often fire open the editor to make changes to one button. Was wondering if it would be possible to add some way of just right-clicking and uploading just that button at all?

2 - Preset colours - I may have missed this, but was wondering if it would be possible to define a colour for ‘presets’, just so if you’re using the ‘preset’ button it might make things easier to organise, as I have quite a lot of different destinations for the midi info, and I’ve found the colour options really useful for organising my patches, and thought it might be cool to have that option for presets too.

Anyway, excuse the long first post, and thanks for making such an amazing bit of kit which seems to keep turning heads! :)

We don't have any support for updating button states from Ableton and the like yet, although it's something that I'd like to do in the future.

There's isn't a way to upload individual buttons yet, but if you select Write Changes to Device, it will only write things that have changed since the last time you sent settings to the device.

Currently, there's no way to assign colors to presets, but it's a good idea!

Back