Bigger MIDI controller? Chime in here!

rjmmusic said:
Okay, so about 5 million people have now asked us to do a bigger MIDI controller. So, if we were to do such a thing, what features would it have to have? The feature set is not defined yet, but there are a few things that I'm pretty sure it will have:

- 12 IA buttons
- 5 or 6 preset buttons
- Expander capability
- More than a few expression/switch inputs
- PC/Mac editor

Aside from that, it's all up in the air, so let me know if you have any suggestions!
PLEASE include 6 preset buttons! Currently I use the Ground Control Pro which has 4, and you don't know how many times I wish there were six. I never seem to need five. :D

12 is a good number for IA buttons.

My other must-have is the ability to group IA buttons together for amp channel switching (momentary switching). The GCP doesn't do that, and that makes it pretty much useless with my Bogner. I have to use presets to switch channels, which is very inconvenient when not playing set songs.

My perfect Midi Footcontroller.

Large multi-line illuminated LCD: active bank, active preset, active IA's, set, song, part.
10 physical IA switches arranged in 2 rows of 5, each with their own LED. Support for IA switch names.
5 preset switches arranged in 1 row of 5 each with their own 2-color LED. Support for preset switch names.
Dedicated preset bank Up and down buttons off to 1 side.
1 button to toggle the 5 preset switches into 5 more IA switches.
1 or 2 passive expression pedal inputs.
7-pin midi out to receive phantom power.
12" x 8" x wedge shaped height.
PC/MAC software editor supporting set and song lists, and where presets & IAs can be configured to send multiple PC & CC midi messages on multiple channels.

I already posted this in teh GT section but I see there is a specific suggestion thread here so kinda reposting ..

my 2 yen....
make it expandable for those that like each and every effect available via instant access like a 2 column expansion unit giving 8 more instant access switches. like the old axess units used to have.
4 expression pedal jacks.
USB port / software that you can control set up the controller... even better (now Im kinda going out to left field..) if the software could not only set up the foot controller but discover other midi items on the chain and you can set up other devices like the rg-16, effects gizmo with stuff like the CC ranges. basically manage all your RJM stuff with one software app.

I love the new big controller idea. I have been a long time supporter of your products and promote them everywhere. PLEASE- (this is the problem everywhere) PLEASE give us the option to have less ia switches and at least 10 patch switches. The reason why i love your products and sold all of my Bradshaw stuff is that yours are simple and make sense to a real guitarist that plays real shows on real stages, etc. If I wanted Instant access to ALL my pedals, I would put them on the floor. If you make it I will buy! And I will promote your stuff without an endorsement deal until the end. LONG LIVE RJM!!

Sincerely,

Jonnykingv

Back