Boss EV-30 - Taper Settings?

mrbesty

Hello all,

Apologies if this has already been covered...I had a search around and couldn't find anything specific.

I have a Boss EV-30 that I'm trying to get to work with the PBC-6X and I can't seem to get the taper sorted. It goes from min to max in the first 30-40% of the travel. It's in the list of approved exp pedals (although switching it to inverted mode just inverts it but doesn't fix the taper...). I tried calibrating on the PBC and I tried adjusting the Taper X & Taper Y values a bunch but it just made it worse haha..

Please help! Is anyone using this exp pedal?

I'm using one and i don't have any issue, one side goes to PBC to remote Line 6 HX Stomp reverb and delay and the other to a vibe machine ( dry bell)
The only issue for me with this pedal is that we can't separate action on the two output, they are working together, it would be interesting to choose one or the other

I used a Boss EV-30, and whether I set the polarity to reverse or not, it was always doing what mrbesty described. Pretty sure I tried both outputs with regular and reverse polarity.

I had a Rocktron Hex lying around that was more linear than the EV-30, but did similar non-linear stuff near the ends of travel. Better than the EV-30, but not as usable as I wanted for setting values.

I ended up with a Dunlop DVP4 that works perfectly linearly (as far as I can tell) after flipping one of the internal switches. The form factor is smaller than the EV-30, too. The only thing I had to do is use a pedal booster on my Pedaltrain so it sits flat to the ground. Otherwise it's hell trying to get it all the way back with the additional board angle.

The only thing missing now is being able to spit out the 0-127 values being sent in real time. :)

The EV30 is on the list as it has a polarity invert switch. This just inverts the direction of the sweep but doesn't seem to fix the taper issue...

The EV30 is on the list as it has a polarity invert switch. This just inverts the direction of the sweep but doesn't seem to fix the taper issue...

Thanks for pointing this out, I've corrected this to show the EV-30 as a pedal that needs a polarity reversing cable.

I'm surprised that the Hex didn't work, it's the pedal I used when developing all of our Masterminds - I have to wonder if your pedal was modified to use Boss polarity.

The only thing missing now is being able to spit out the 0-127 values being sent in real time. :)

I'm not sure what you mean?

I'm not sure what you mean?
Oh, being able to see the actual value(s) that the expression is sending as you sweep.

I know we have the bar (Show Exp Pedal Pos), and that you guys are tight on resolution on the screen, but it would still be nice to be able to get a temporary pop up since certain MIDI features on pedals lie within specific value ranges. For example, some of the Chase Bliss pedals have one knob with different behaviors assigned to different ranges within one 0-127 sweep.

This guy, in particular, has a LOT of specific functionality crammed into one knob, and the tolerances are pretty tight.

Being able to name and see ranges as the pop up would be amazing... but even seeing the simple value being sent would help a bit, I think.

1wCgrvh.png

Just an update to this, finally got around to soldering up a polarity reverse cable and it works great. Thanks Ron!

Back