Browne Amplification: Protein Dual Overdrive - TRS Interpretation

George

My Protein Dual OD showed up the other day, a very nice Overdrive box. It came with instructions which made mention of using of a TRS plug which I only glanced at. Subsequently while watching some review and demonstration vids (Andertons Music on Youtube was did an overview of about 4 OD pedals) one of the hosts made mention of the Protein's TRS feature but said "you can use an insert cable...and blah blah blah..." Didn't seem to me that the instruction card made any mention of an insert cable...so I went back and this is what it said...

Protein Dual Overdrive
“To use with a loop switcher like the RJM Mastermind etc. - The TRS plug on the input is going to act as the loop for the Green side. The TRS plug on the output is going to act as the loop for the Blue side. Tip is the input/send from your loop. Ring is the output/return to your loop. There are two DIP switches inside the pedal that need to be flipped down to the “split” position to use it this way. Remove the four access screws from the back panel and flip the switches to the down position.”

That seems to say that a TRS cable plugged into what I assume is one of the stereo capable inputs of the PBC/6X from each of the two pedal connections sides can have its own loop...Are they talking about an Insert cable? I'm baffled, any clarification much appreciated.

Keoki

Last edited:
First, an important note: I've never used a Protein Drive, so this is all what I gather from reading up on it.

The Protein Drive, as far as I can tell, allows you to split the pedal so that it acts like two individual pedals in one box. It uses TRS plugs to do this. One TRS is the input and output of one half of the pedal, the other TRS is the other half. So, you could use an insert cable to connect one half of the pedal to one loop on the PBC, and another insert cable to connect the other half to another loop and have it work like two independent pedals.

There's a more complicated arrangement where you can use the "split mono" feature of the PBC/6X's stereo loops to connect two pedals to one loop. This is trickier because the PBC wires its TRS jacks differently than the Protein does. You would need a special set of custom cables to connect the two. The advantage is that you would only use one loop on the PBC to switch two pedals.

My Protein Dual OD showed up the other day, a very nice Overdrive box. It came with instructions which made mention of using of a TRS plug which I only glanced at. Subsequently while watching some review and demonstration vids (Andertons Music on Youtube was did an overview of about 4 OD pedals) one of the hosts made mention of the Protein's TRS feature but said "you can use an insert cable...and blah blah blah..." Didn't seem to me that the instruction card made any mention of an insert cable...so I went back and this is what it said...

That seems to say that a TRS cable plugged into what I assume is one of the stereo capable inputs of the PBC/6X from each of the two pedal connections sides can have its own loop...Are they talking about an Insert cable? I'm baffled, any clarification much appreciated.

Keoki

Like Ron said, putting the Protein into a stereo loop split to Mono will require some pretty complex cabling (it's been done before - if you do a search, one guy actually posted both pictures and a wiring diagram). Definitely a lot of work. I'd recommend putting each side into two of the 6/X's mono loops. Doing that, you can use a standard TRS to dual TS cable, with the tip TS side going to the input, and the ring TS side going to output on each loop.

Note: I'm confident what I've said is correct, but I haven't actually put my Protein on my board yet. Give me a month or two (have to finish a massive build for a client first), and I can report back if there is still interest.

I'd recommend putting each side into two of the 6/X's mono loops. Doing that, you can use a standard TRS to dual TS cable, with the tip TS side going to the input, and the ring TS side going to output on each loop.
Had James from Browne Amplification written it as clearly as that I could have been doing something else with my time…like actually building the cables and putting my Protein to bed. I’ve been back over their instructions a few times now and the more I hear from Ron, Jim, and yourself it’s pretty obvious that’s what they’re talking about. Thank you guys!

First, an important note: I've never used a Protein Drive, so this is all what I gather from reading up on it.

The Protein Drive, as far as I can tell, allows you to split the pedal so that it acts like two individual pedals in one box. It uses TRS plugs to do this. One TRS is the input and output of one half of the pedal, the other TRS is the other half. So, you could use an insert cable to connect one half of the pedal to one loop on the PBC, and another insert cable to connect the other half to another loop and have it work like two independent pedals.

There's a more complicated arrangement where you can use the "split mono" feature of the PBC/6X's stereo loops to connect two pedals to one loop. This is trickier because the PBC wires its TRS jacks differently than the Protein does. You would need a special set of custom cables to connect the two. The advantage is that you would only use one loop on the PBC to switch two pedals.
How can I attach two drive pedals to one of the stereo loops in the PBC6x? I have the protein split into loop 1 & 2 and want to use loop 4 for my kilt and superbolt.

Back