Buffers kill dry signal?

middle_pickup

can I use the three PBC buffers with parallel stereo effects? For some reason engaging them kills my signal. Can't figure this out.

I'm also having an issue with my Deluxe Memory Man loop. Activating that loop jumps my signal up a lot. It's like there's a hidden boost in the loop or something.

Here's my rig.

Signal Path Order
  • 9v - Goodwood Audio Interfacer
    • Active/Passive IO
    • Tuner out - Polytune
    • Mono - Send to board
  • Boss volume
  • Mastermind PBC
    1. Mono - 9v - Walrus Audio Deep Six compressor
    2. Mono - 9v - Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
    3. Mono - 9v - MXR Phase 90
    4. Mono - 9v - Walrus Audio Voyager
      • External Insert
        • Out 1-4, In 5-6
        • Good for MONO compressors, drives, chorus, flange, phasers
    5. Mono - 9v - Proco 85’ Whiteface Rat RI
    6. Mono - 9v - EHX Deluxe Memory Man 550 tap tempo
      • Auto Tap from Mastermind
      • External Insert
        • Out 5-6, In 7-10
        • Good for MONO Delays
    7. Stereo - 9v - Strymon Deco
      • Mastermind Function Switching for Favorite
    8. Stereo - 9v - Strymon Timeline
      • Midi data input from Mastermind
        • VIA Midi solutions quadra thru
    9. Mk1 - Empty Loop!
    10. Stereo - 9v - Strymon Flint
      • Mastermind Function Switching for Favorite
      • Kill dry signal in Mastermind mixer
  • Goodwood Audio Interfacer
    • Stereo - Receive from board
    • Output mixer to amp(s)

It might be most helpful to upload your .rjs file that you edit your PBC with on here. Ron got to the bottom of my volume boost issue straight away after looking at my file.

It might be most helpful to upload your .rjs file that you edit your PBC with on here. Ron got to the bottom of my volume boost issue straight away after looking at my file.
I started over from the top with the Mastermind editor. All seems fine now. I think I was doing something dumb. If I have any more problems, I will do that.

Hope it’s OK if I jump in this tread as it seems to apply to me

I am having a problem ( maybe it’s just the way it works ) with a significant volume boost with loops 7,8,9,10…. My set up is

Loop 1 – CE2 Compressor

Loop 2 Nova Drive

Loop 3 BB Preamp

Loop 4 OCD

Loop 5 Shur Riot

Loop 6 EP Booster

Loop 7 Eventide H9 PARALLEL

Loop 8 Strymon Timeline PARALLEL

Loop 9 Strymon BigSky PARALLEL

Output A into Hot Rod Deluxe front end. Output B into front end of Kasha Robot ( ie both straight in not in effects loops )

7,8,9 are set to parallel and the effects are all in KILL DRY mode. Both buttons on back are OUT. ( the iso button is in ).

If I engage loop 7, 8, 9 ( or even 10 with nothing in it ) I get a MAJOR volume boost.

It does not matter what effects are on or off before # 7 … the effect is the same. If I unplug all of the effects in 7,8,9, and 10 the same thing still happens… major volume boost when I engage any of the loops?

Not sure what I am doing wrong or is this is an expected behavior? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am having a problem ( maybe it’s just the way it works ) with a significant volume boost with loops 7,8,9,10…. My set up is

Loop 1 – CE2 Compressor

Loop 2 Nova Drive

Loop 3 BB Preamp

Loop 4 OCD

Loop 5 Shur Riot

Loop 6 EP Booster

Output A into Hot Rod Deluxe front end. Output B into front end of Kasha Robot ( ie both straight in not in effects loops )

7,8,9 are set to parallel and the effects are all in KILL DRY mode. Both buttons on back are OUT. ( the iso button is in ).

If I engage loop 7, 8, 9 ( or even 10 with nothing in it ) I get a MAJOR volume boost.

It does not matter what effects are on or off before # 7 … the effect is the same. If I unplug all of the effects in 7,8,9, and 10 the same thing still happens… major volume boost when I engage any of the loops?

Not sure what I am doing wrong or is this is an expected behavior? Thanks in advance for any help.

Is loop 10 set parallel? I think my issue may have been that I had loop 9 set to series? I'm not sure.

Is loop 10 set parallel? I think my issue may have been that I had loop 9 set to series? I'm not sure.
Yes they are all set to Parallel... I have a few patches where loop 7 is set to normal and the H9 is not in Kill Dry ( you are able to set this per preset with the H9 but not the Strymon pedals ) but most of the patches have all of the loops parallel.

Yes they are all set to Parallel... I have a few patches where loop 7 is set to normal and the H9 is not in Kill Dry ( you are able to set this per preset with the H9 but not the Strymon pedals ) but most of the patches have all of the loops parallel.

Interesting! I didn't know that about the H9. I've asked Strymon to add that feature, but I'm told it's not high on their to-do list.

As for your problem, I'm out of suggestions. Sorry!

Loop 1 – CE2 Compressor

Loop 2 Nova Drive

Loop 3 BB Preamp

Loop 4 OCD

Loop 5 Shur Riot

Loop 6 EP Booster

The Full Nelsons can you post your .rjs file? I had a similar issue due to the new Audio options in the latest Firmware releases

Any time there's a volume jump in a parallel loop, it's almost certainly because the pedal isn't set to kill dry.

I checked and rechecked that as it was my first thought. The units say Kill Dry and if I turn off the Dry signal with the PCB switch I only hear the effect ( ie just the reverb) The strange thing is it happens even if there is NO effect plugged into the loop. I will grab the .rjs file and maybe make a quick video tonight at rehearsal. I have probably screwed something up somewhere.

Actually, it's expected that putting an empty loop in parallel will cause a volume boost. You get two dry signal paths - one through the loop and one through the dry signal in the mixer, and those get summed in the mixer, resulting in a 2x level boost.

I don't know why it's doing what it's doing - the test you did where you turned off the dry signal is what I would have recommended to do next.

What happens if you plug a cable into a loop return, don't connect anything to the loop send, then turn on that loop in parallel?

Figured it out... exactly as Ron had suggested. My new Strymon BigSky is defective and when first powered up the Kill Dry feature does not engage even thought it says in global menu that it is active... If I wiggle the mix knob back and forth it finally drops out the dry signal and then it works properly until fired up again. I have contact Strymon support and am waiting to hear back. Had my first big show on the weekend with the PBC and it worked perfectly. Sound guy who always does our sound thought things sounded great!

Here is the reply from Strymon

Matt Alegrete
(Strymon)

Dec 12, 16:38 AKST

Hello David,
Sorry to hear about the trouble with your BigSky.

We have uncovered a bug with the Nixie beta firmware where your BigSky (and TimeLine) will always think Spillover (and KillDry, as it happens) is set to OFF, no matter what it is actually set to. This is fixed by going into the KillDry menu, setting it actually to OFF, then back ON. KillDry will then work as it is supposed to until you disconnect power. Every power cycle you will have to go through this procedure again.

If this is too much of an inconvenience, I can provide you with the previous firmware file and instructions on how to install it on your pedal. However, you will lose Nixie functionality as it will need this latest version to communicate with your BigSky.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Matt Alegrete
Customer Support
Strymon Engineering

Here is the reply from Strymon

Matt Alegrete
(Strymon)

Dec 12, 16:38 AKST

Hello David,
Sorry to hear about the trouble with your BigSky.

We have uncovered a bug with the Nixie beta firmware where your BigSky (and TimeLine) will always think Spillover (and KillDry, as it happens) is set to OFF, no matter what it is actually set to. This is fixed by going into the KillDry menu, setting it actually to OFF, then back ON. KillDry will then work as it is supposed to until you disconnect power. Every power cycle you will have to go through this procedure again.

If this is too much of an inconvenience, I can provide you with the previous firmware file and instructions on how to install it on your pedal. However, you will lose Nixie functionality as it will need this latest version to communicate with your BigSky.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Matt Alegrete
Customer Support
Strymon Engineering
That's weird! I'm running the Nixie firmware and I don't have these bugs. I have the incorrect tempo onscreen bug, but my spillover and kill dry seem to be working fine. I think.

Interesting! I didn't know that about the H9. I've asked Strymon to add that feature, but I'm told it's not high on their to-do list.

I asked Strymon the same thing a few months back and got the same answer. Maybe we everyone on the forum should ask them and it might move up the to-do list. It shouldn't be hard to add.

More from Matt at Strymon

Matt Alegrete
(Strymon)

Dec 13, 10:50 AKST

Hello David,

No problem! Hopefully we should have a new version of Nixie in a few months, but I am not sure how soon we can get everything ironed out. I am attaching both firmware files into this email.

To load them, connect your pedals one at a time to Nixie, and drag and drop the appropriate firmware file over the pedal while it is displayed in Nixie. This will load up the old firmware. Once is it finished, Nixie will ask you to update again to the Nixie firmware, but just press cancel and it will remain on this older firmware.

Let me know if you run into any problems

Back