Button issue

tandrewnichols

I opened my mastermind recently to try to update the bootloader, and when I went to try it out later, the first button (preset 1) didn't work at all, and the second button (preset 2) was behaving strangely (I assigned it "device pc -" and when I pressed it, it would basically lock on and cycle presets downward forever). I don't know if these buttons were like this before opening it. Questions: are these issues that can occur when opening it and not putting it back correctly or is this sonething more significant? And if it's a real issue, is it something that can be repaired?

I'm not sure what could have caused that, but I recommend taking off the bottom and looking at the switches from the side to see if they're operating properly - does the spring appear to be moving correctly and pressing the actual button on the circuit board?

In any cause, I'm sure it can be fixed, I just don't know what the problem is, and probably won't until I see it.

I actually just got done fixing it. I opened it up and the collars (don't know the right term) on the inside of the buttons were all loose. The ones that weren't working were almost completely off. Just got it put back together. Haven't tried it yet, but I know that was the problem so I'm expecting it to be fine now.

Sidebar: while I had it open I tried to update the bootloader again and the device still couldn't be recognized. Ah well. I do have a flash drive I can use.

I'm happy to hear you found the problem. Not sure why the bootloader isn't working for you, Ive never run into that kind of trouble with it. If you have access to a different PC, it might be worth trying again.

I don't have immediate access, but I might be able to get ahold of one. It probably is a computer issue. My wife's computer has tons of issues and crashes a lot.

There's no way to do that on a Mac right? Mac is what I use normally. I'm a programmer, so I'm not afraid to use the terminal if that makes a difference (for example, I know homebrew has a dfu-utils bin).

There's no way to do that on a Mac right? Mac is what I use normally. I'm a programmer, so I'm not afraid to use the terminal if that makes a difference (for example, I know homebrew has a dfu-utils bin).
Ok, if you know dfu-utils, then it's worth a try. I have had mixed results with it, it seems to work better on an old Mac that's running High Sierra than the one I use that has an up to date OS.

You still need to connect the wire jumper as you power up the unit. Then, connect to the Mac.

"dfu-util -l" should show a device with ID "0483:df11"

Then, erase with
dfu-util -a 0 -d 0483:df11 -s 0:unprotect:force -D path-to-dfu-file

(not sure why a filename is necessary to erase the unit, but it is)

Wait a good 20 seconds or so, and try dfu-util-l again to make sure the unit is back. If not, wait a while longer and try again. If that doesn't work, then unplug, power up with tie jumper connected and try again.

Once you've got it back up and running, program it:

dfu-util -a 0 -d 0483:df11 -D path-to-dfu-file

How do I know if it worked? I think it did (but there isn't a new version of the firmware to test with). Here's the output from the final command.

Screen Shot 7.png

Looks good to me. If you hold 1 & 3 as you power it up, it should say Mastermind Bootloader 2.0 at the top. It was 1.0 or 1.1 previously.

You could also try running the update with the same firmware version. It won't try to stop you, and it won't cause any problems if you do it.

Awesome, it does say 2.0 when I power up holding those buttons. Thanks!

For what it's worth, one thing that confused me when I was trying to connect it this time is that it wasn't powering up (the screen wasn't coming on) while I had the wire in (whereas when I was trying to do it on Windows, the screen always lit up). Finally I just tried dfu-utils -l even though it didn't look like it was on and the device was there. So now I'm wondering if I didn't actually have that wire placed correctly when I was trying to do it on Windows since the power kept coming on.

Yes, I should ahve mentioned that. When it's in the DFU mode, there's no sign of life at all - except over the USB connection. If anything was lighting up or you could read anything on the screen, the wire wasn't making contact.

Back