Button Types

Andy Power

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 23.15.25.png Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 23.25.55.png Wonder if someone could clear this up for me on Button types.
I have a button to page up through the Axe III Presets and one to page down. by selecting Page Up and Page down for the two buttons in the button type window
However, I now get two buttons on my screen? do I just ignore the one (on the right) as I'm not using it (which I have), what is the second button there for? if I set it to A1 I cant set the button to Page up / down... why 2 buttons showing on the screen?
Can I set them both to do different things on the one button, How could that work?

Thanks

Last edited:
IA Mode is the the feature you're looking at.

There are two categories of buttons: IA buttons and everything else. Any button that's not an IA still has IA settings. The IA Settings, IA Actions and IA Mode sections of the button edit screen are IA specific settings. These settings have no effect on Preset, Bank, Page, etc. buttons. However, if you assign an IA Mode button somewhere on your GT, pressing it will change all of those Preset, Bank, Page buttons to IA buttons. In your example above, the Preset 1 button will change to a button that controls Compressor 1 on your Axe-Fx.

You can simulate this in the editor by checking the IA Mode checkbox in the Buttons tab.

The concept of IA Mode (also called IA Reveal on some other controllers, including Fractal's MFC-101) is that you would use your bank and preset buttons to get to a preset button, then press IA Mode to get rid of those preset selection buttons and instead have a virtual pedalboard that's all individual effect on/off buttons. Then you could switch the preset and bank buttons back on and change presets when needed.

IA Mode is getting less and less useful as button pages are getting more powerful. It's a feature that's confusing to many, as well. I'd get rid of it, but I know that that would be pretty upsetting to long time users of the feature.

IA Mode is the the feature you're looking at.

There are two categories of buttons: IA buttons and everything else. Any button that's not an IA still has IA settings. The IA Settings, IA Actions and IA Mode sections of the button edit screen are IA specific settings. These settings have no effect on Preset, Bank, Page, etc. buttons. However, if you assign an IA Mode button somewhere on your GT, pressing it will change all of those Preset, Bank, Page buttons to IA buttons. In your example above, the Preset 1 button will change to a button that controls Compressor 1 on your Axe-Fx.

You can simulate this in the editor by checking the IA Mode checkbox in the Buttons tab.

The concept of IA Mode (also called IA Reveal on some other controllers, including Fractal's MFC-101) is that you would use your bank and preset buttons to get to a preset button, then press IA Mode to get rid of those preset selection buttons and instead have a virtual pedalboard that's all individual effect on/off buttons. Then you could switch the preset and bank buttons back on and change presets when needed.

IA Mode is getting less and less useful as button pages are getting more powerful. It's a feature that's confusing to many, as well. I'd get rid of it, but I know that that would be pretty upsetting to long time users of the feature.

thanks for the detailed reply, unfortunately I didn’t understand anything... I love my Gt-16 though I find programming it really confusing and not having a manual for the software doesn’t help. I managed to program my pedal through sheer luck and persistence though I didn’t really know what I was doing... but got there in the end... I would love to know more about what the pedal can do and what I can do with it. You said that the Preset Button can double up To control the compressor, but how would I change from one to the other (and back)...
It would be great if there was some ‘templates’ that could be downloaded of different settings techniques (Along with a layman’s explanation) so that One could see the possibility’s and gain more understanding... I know my GT-16 can do a lot more for me but I just don’t know what and how.

Have you looked at the online editor manual? It's admittedly not great, but it does explain a lot:

http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=V4:GT/PBC_Editor_Manual

To switch between the two functions of the button, you need to change one of the other buttons on the controller to the "IA Mode" type. Pressing an IA Mode button will toggle all buttons between their main function (preset, bank, etc.) and IA.

hi, I honestly didn’t know there was any documentation on the software...I’m sure this will help. Your explanation of the switches didn’t make any sense to me...I’m not Overly technically Minded but I find programming GT really confusing... templates and even better idea would be YouTube examples - so we can see the results etc..would be invaluable..and surly would increase sales as more folk could see the potential of this amazing control unit. I just get frustrated because I know it can do so much more but do know how..
I’ll check out the software documentation though - that’s a start

mmm, that wasn't a great read, I’m no more clued up with the pedal...
A shame because I know it can do more for me,,, if only I knew how...
Could not find any YouTube tutorials either - that would be really useful...any chance?

Doing videos that cover the controller top to bottom would be great, but it would take months, even if I could spend most of my time working on them...

Are there specific things that you're getting hung up on?

I could also create a configuration for you, but I would need to know what your goals are. What do you need it to do? Maybe start by letting me know what's lacking in the default configuration we have for the Axe-Fx.

hi.
It's more like 'tips and tricks' with the pedal....
for example, I have a button set up for Tap-Tempo and would love to have the same button set to the Tuner with a Long Press, no idea what to do to enable that to happen though, I select Hold from the button mode and the writing in the button display goes small...I select the 'Hold Functions' but then don't really know what to do next? do I select IA mode, what should the IA settings be?
What's the difference between IA and IA Mode? etc.
It's an amazing piece of gear but incredibly user-unfriendly for the non-technical minded... I do understand that making videos would be time-consuming. The 'fly-out' hints help in the software but mostly does not go into detail or really explain. And, as for the sections Songs, Setlists, Sysex and Macros I don't even know what they are or do, these are absolutely meaningless are the Songs and setlists to do with auto change via MIDI? something that I have recently looked at to change scenes.

Andy.

Ok, the quick answer is:

After selecting Hold Function:
Set button mode to IA
Turn off all checkboxes except Update on Preset Change, which should be turned on
At the bottom of the page, click New Action. Set Type to System, Subtype to Tuner
At the bottom of the page, click Add CC Action. Select Axe-Fx III on the left, and Tuner on the right
Name the button as you wish. This name will show up in the lower line of text on the button

I recommend avoiding IA Mode altogether, it's just going to make things more complicated at this point.

I've been thinking about this all night and all morning. There's no question that we need better documentation. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it feasible to start doing some videos. I think a lot of problems could be avoided if I can show people the design philosophy behind the Masterminds. Showing individual tips is fine (and I'm sure I'll do that as well), but getting people to understand how it works under the hood really should be the goal. If I keep the topics small and the video length short, it should make it easier for me to find time to do them, and would probably easier on the viewers as well.

Fantastic, thank you for the quick reply.. Good support goes a long way, and makes a good product even better, and this really is a good product, dare I say the best.. Short vids would go a long way...
maybe some of you users who fully understand the board could help out here.

thanks for the help and support...I’m always a little apprehensive to ask for help, but if one doesn't ask one doesn’t learn..I guess.

I've been thinking about this all night and all morning. There's no question that we need better documentation. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it feasible to start doing some videos. I think a lot of problems could be avoided if I can show people the design philosophy behind the Masterminds. Showing individual tips is fine (and I'm sure I'll do that as well), but getting people to understand how it works under the hood really should be the goal. If I keep the topics small and the video length short, it should make it easier for me to find time to do them, and would probably easier on the viewers as well.

Your documentation is fine for me. Comprehensive, logical, understandable. I don't speak English at all, I have to use the Google translator for everything, but despite this handicap, I revived the MMGT 22 and AX FX 2 without any major problems, followed by AX FX 3.
The videos would be nice, but the documentation is sufficient. No worries.
Of course, the help and willingness of RJM and also experienced users (Yek, etc.) is a bonus for everyone

I'm of course very happy to have power users on board, especially when they can help other users out. Also, they tend to generate a lot of suggestions that evenutally make their way into the firmware.

That said, I also want to make sure that anyone can get up and running regardless of experience level. I want to make sure that people get their money's worth out of the products. There's only so much our tiny company can do, but I'm developing what I think is a workable plan.

Fabulous, great first video giving an overview....look forward to more :)
I really appreciate this. Thanks.

Back