Connectivity problem between GT/22 & AxeFxIII

Chuk

After a 10 month lay-off due to Covid 19, I have recently setup my stage gear to prepare for an NYE gig.
I have been using the AxeFXIII throughout the lay-off in my studio without the GT/22.
Upon reconnecting the GT/22 (which has been in storage since my last gig in February) I've noticed that the expression pedals no longer respond. However they do work if I connect them direct to the AxeFXIII.
T
However the pedals are recognised by the GT/22 because I can calibrate them without issue.
Somehow the expression pedal data is not being relayed to the AxeFXIII. All the other GT/22 buttons are working as expected.

The other issue I've encountered is that the GT/22 is not responding to data sent back from the AxeFXIII: Tap Tempo, Tuner, and button status updates are not working.
I have swapped midi leads around. I have updated the GT/22 firmware to the latest 4.51.
The AxeFXIII is using firmware 14.04

Any help would be gratefully received.

Yes Ron.
Everything seems to be working as normal except for the Expression pedals and the data returning from the AxeFXIII (Tuner, Tap Tempo, Button status updates)

Expression pedals need to be set up on the Axe-Fx as well as on the GT. If you have new presets on the Axe-Fx, they probably need to have their external controllers set up.

iareseee has a good point about Send Realtime Sysex, this needs to be on for tuner and tap tempo to work.

Not sure about status updates. Make sure that MIDI Receive Channel is set to None on the GT, and make sure you don't have any devices defined in the GT that are on the same channel as the Axe-Fx.

Expression pedals need to be set up on the Axe-Fx as well as on the GT. If you have new presets on the Axe-Fx, they probably need to have their external controllers set up.

iareseee has a good point about Send Realtime Sysex, this needs to be on for tuner and tap tempo to work.

Not sure about status updates. Make sure that MIDI Receive Channel is set to None on the GT, and make sure you don't have any devices defined in the GT that are on the same channel as the Axe-Fx.
SEND REALTIME SYSEX was indeed set to OFF so I've turned it ON.
(I don't know how or why that happened as it was all working when stored away months ago and I never use the front panel of the AxeFX to make edits.)
Happily, that has SOLVED my Tuner/Tap Tempo/Status issues. Thank you.

Midi Receive Channel is/was set to NONE on the GT.

Unfortunately Expression pedals are still not responding.

Regarding setting up AxeFX presets; yes presets have all been/were all setup properly on the AxeFX.
The thing that troubles me most is that everything was working when I locked it away.
I presumed the problem must've arisen from the AxeFXIII firmware which has been updated since the two units were last connected. So I presumed lots of users would be experiencing the same issues.

It's likely that the Axe-Fx firmware update also reset your expression pedal settings. You're probably going to need to set them up again. Here's some info:

I followed your link.
When I enter 'Set default pedals' the GT responds "pedals assigned".
I went to the AxeFXIII and noticed all the CC#s are set to NONE on both the Bypass page, Channels page and the External page.
I assigned ExtCtrl 1-4 to the CC #11-14 as instructed but still no response from the expression pedals.
I then went to the Bypass Page and went down to WAH. I pressed 'learn' and it came up with CC #33.
I then went to the External Page and assigned External Control 1 to CC #33 and suddenly the Wah works.
I then did the same for Rotary and assigned External Control 2 to CC#17 because of the 'learn' function. Now the Rotary turns on/off with the expression pedal but the rate does not change. I guess it is functioning purely as a switch not a pedal.

You'll need to follow the process in the second to last paragraph of the article I linked to, where you select the Speed knob for the rotary effect and assign an external controller to it.

Hi Ron, i have the same problem with Tuner & Tap Tempo, it doesn't work. Yes I have "Send Realtime Sysex ON.

But I recently got the RJM phantom midi adapter and connected it to my GT22 (icm with Axe 3 mk2) .

Before this setup I was just using the normal power adapter on my GT22, and just 2 midi cables to communicate with my Axe FX.
Tuner and Tap Tempo worked just fine.

But now it doesn't do nothing.
Midi receive channel on GT is turned to NONE.

I have every midi device on a different channel.

Can you help? thanks

Hi Ron, i have the same problem with Tuner & Tap Tempo, it doesn't work. Yes I have "Send Realtime Sysex ON. But I recently got the RJM phantom midi adapter and connected it to my GT22 (icm with Axe 3 mk2) . Before this setup I was just using the normal power adapter on my GT22, and just 2 midi cables to communicate with my Axe FX. Tuner and Tap Tempo worked just fine. But now it doesn't do nothing. Midi receive channel on GT is turned to NONE. I have every midi device on a different channel. Can you help? thanks

I think it was the XLR-6 cable... I have to check it once again. keep you posted.

Also make sure that Bidirectional MIDI is turned on in the GT's MIDI settings when using the phantom power box.

Also make sure that Bidirectional MIDI is turned on in the GT's MIDI settings when using the phantom power box.
thank you, it was the bidirectional midi thing..
everything works fine now, they both communicate with each other..

Last edited:
Back