Controlling Scenes on Axe FX II w/Mastermind (not GT) Help!

Hi everyone, I am having trouble controlling Axe FX II scenes with my Mastermind foot controller. I've seen a lot of info on this for the Mastermind GT, but I'm using the original. Is it possible to control scenes on my Axe FX II with this foot controller. Would someone give me a run down on how to do it?

I'm not the most literate when it comes to this stuff. I've used my Mastermind for years but only in conjunction with an RG16 or Rack Gizmo, and I was simply using it to turn pedals on and off. Changing scenes within a preset on my Axe befuddles me.

Any help appreciated!

JB

Re: Controlling Scenes on Axe FX II w/Mastermind (not GT) He

I figured it out. I needed to adjust my global setup before I could adjust the presets the way I wanted. I assigned Scene Mode to CC2 on my Axe FX in the I/O section, then programmed the Mastermind to CC2 globally, and then in preset mode I was able to select CC 2 and choice the continuous controller that corresponded with the scene I wanted selected.

An alternate way to do it is using the "Program Change to Scene Mapping" feature on the Axe-Fx - with it, you can program the Axe-Fx to remap incoming program change messages to call up specific scenes within a preset. This is described in the Axe-Fx II manual.

Ron, the method you suggested is actually much more effective. I initially tried that but couldn't figure out how to custom program the changes. I was getting gaps on every single scene change when using the CC to switch. Now that I've set up the Axe Fx to do Program Changes it's working perfectly. No gaps, seamless transitions from scene to scene.

For anyone who might stumble upon this wondering how to program your Mastermind for Axe Fx scene mode, here are some directions that I think would have helped me.

-On your Axe Fx II click the I/O button and go to the MIDI tab.
-Select Midi Channel 2 (this will be your PC number on your Mastermind. You can also use 3 or 4 if you want.)
-Make sure "PROG CHANGE" is set to ON
-Make sure "IGNORE REDUNDANT PC" is set to ON
-Turn MAPPING MODE to CUSTOM
-MAP FROM PRESET will the number you select on the Mastermind once you've selected PC2
-MAP TO PRESET will be the preset number on your Axe FX that you want to use for different scenes
-MAP TO SCENE is the scene number you want to select from your Axe Fx preset

Then on your Mastermind:
-Select the button you want to program
-Press buttons 1 and 3 at the same time to enter Setup Mode
-Press Button 1 (Function Select) to change to PC2
-Press Button 2 (Program/CC Number) repeatedly until you get to the number you used in the MAP FROM PRESET field on your Axe FX for the corresponding Preset/Scene you are programming to that button.

For example, If I put in...
MAP FROM PRESET: 4
MAP TO PRESET: 1
MAP TO SCENE: 7
...then I would set PC2 on my Mastermind to 004 to call up Preset 1, Scene 7 on my Axe Fx.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I'm sure they'll help others.

Back