Device Support for Boss VE-500

I can't find much information about that pedal's MIDI implementation online (Boss is notoriously bad about that). Does this pedal accept any other messages aside from PC messages? If it's just PC messages, setting it up as a generic device is quite easy.

Last edited:
Responses like this are why I love RJM stuff. Love the support you provide for your devices. And ya, welcome to BOSS right?

The manual is available here: https://www.boss.info/us/support/by...manuals/d4ccbc3f-4a58-40a0-94cd-1cc5646d35ef/
Here's the 'parameter guide':

The Manual says the following about MIDI:

"MIDI messages that can be
transmitted and received
Patch change
Bank select (CC#0, #32) and program change

Synchronization data
Tempo clock (F8)
Patch data
System Exclusive messages

Other messages
Note (receiving only)
Control changes

Control change transmission and reception are
specified by the ASSIGN settings. In addition to
receiving control changes, the VE-500 can also
transmit them when you operate a switch or the
EXP pedal."

^ I'll do some trial and error, but does that mean I can either just send a PC with the number of the preset I want OR send CC action where I send CC#0 with value 0 or 127? (or 32? not understanding that)?

While the VE-500 apparently has all kinds of midi note control (for its vocoder or harmonies etc) and other midi shit apparently, I'm using this on my pedalboard for vocal effects while playing guitar - I'm not going to run a keyboard through my pedalboard live. So I would really just be satisfied being able to change preset numbers (and, cherry on top, using the expression pedal I have connected to the Mastermind to send expression over midi so I could ramp up/down a vocal effect) by the PBC6x so that when I switch a patch for a song with my guitar, I can also switch the vocal preset i'm using on the VE-500.

Thanks so much.

Update:
Saw this on a third party forum about all "BOSS 500 pedals" - not sure it applies:

MIDI PC/Program Change#: Sent for Program/Patch Change in order to change patches in Banks on any 500 Series BOSS pedal, all that is needed is to match the PC# from the transmitting device to the 500 series pedal.

PC#'s are aligned in order from 001-128.

PC maps for all BOSS 500 Series Pedals the MIDI PC RX/RECEIVE Map, can be found inside the device itself, under EDIT > ARROW DOWN > MIDI PC MAP.
Preset numbers can be changed to determine which patch is linked to which PC#.
The MIDI PC MAP can also be found in any of the 500 Series Editor Software under the tab PC MAP.

CC# ON/OFF Status Directions

BOSS 500 Series Pedals - require two different CC# values for ON and OFF, CC# with Value: 127 for ON and the same CC# with Value: 0 for OFF​

Last edited:
You should be able to just send PCs. That will give you the first 128 presets on the device. You can use CC#0 and CC#32 to access more than 128 presets. I can give details on that if needed.

Managed to solve this. Wondering if it had to do with the type of midi cord I used or what, but regardless in case this ever helps anyone: I got it working without switching midi cords, but I had to turn on Midi TX and RX, put them on the same channel, turn on Midi Thru (even though it's the last device in the midi chain), set the device ID to 1 (on the ve-500), and turn bank out to MSB on the device. No MSB:LSB etc settings in the RJM. PC changes alone change the patch.

Thanks for all the help.

Back