Do PBC/10 sends require returns?

Having seriously considered a PBC/6X and some other loop switchers for a wet/dry/wet rig, I concluded that I could forego loop reordering, but not the PBC/10's parallel mixer. A PBC/10 is on the way!

The main A/B outputs are going to be used for the L/R wet part of the rig. I need a send before stereo effects loops 7-10 for my dry amp, but want to split the path before the dry amp's preamp, not after (I'm going to use one of the stereo loops to insert a Helix for preamp/cab sims).

Question 1: Do the mono loops require a return for the signal to continue on to the next loop?

Question 2: Similarly, do the out 1-4 and out 5-6 sends require in 5-6 and in 7-10 returns respectively?

tl;dr Do PBC/10 loops and send/return points act like the splitting loops in the PBC/6X or do I need to get a splitter? No biggie as a splitter with isolation and phase flip is probably a good idea. And if I do need one, any recommendations?

Thanks!

If you don't plug anything into a loop return, the loop's incoming signal (from the previous loop) will always continue on to the next loop. So yes, the loop will act like a splitter in that case.

Out 1-4/In 5-6 are full normalled, so plugging into Out 1-4 will break the internal connection to In 5-6. The Out 5-6 / In 7-10 is half normalled, where you can plug into Out 5-6 and still have signal continuing on to In 7-10. No, I don't remember why we did it this way...

My PBC/10 has arrived and I've encountered an oddity. With no effects plugged into loops 7-10, I don't get anything out of the A/B outputs unless I patch from Out 5-6 to In 7-10. This doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

My PBC/10 has arrived and I've encountered an oddity. With no effects plugged into loops 7-10, I don't get anything out of the A/B outputs unless I patch from Out 5-6 to In 7-10. This doesn't seem right. Any ideas?
It sounds like the internal cable that connects the upper row of jacks to the lower row isn't connected. Is this a new unit? In any case, if you don't mind opening it up, it would be pretty easy to see if it's disconnected.

No, it’s a pre-owned unit, albeit one in apparently perfect condition. Everything seems to be working fine apart from the issue I’ve described.

I’ll open it up and see if there’s anything obvious. Will post pictures here if I can’t figure it out.

Thx.

Back