EVH 515OIII 5Ow 4-Cable-Method with MM LT & MEGX

EVHGuy1111

Hello,
I’m new to the RJM family. I’ve recently purchased a Mini Effect Gizmo X and a Mastermind LT to control it with my EVH 515OIII 5Ow amp.

I am looking for information to:

•Run 4 Cable Method, so I can run loops 1,2,7,8 (split mono) in front of the amp, loop 3 for the fx loop routing (split mono), and loops 4,5,6,9,10,11,12 in the fx loop of the amp.
•Be able to assign amp channel changes in button presets with effects added so one button will change the assigned effect(s) and amp channel with one click.

I understand I won’t be able to get the amp channel changing right now because I have to purchase a 4out MIDI thru box (to send MMLT commands to the MEGX and 515OIII simultaneously)…

But for the routing I can at least start to experiment to assign effects presets to buttons…

…but when I follow the MEGX 4 cable method routing diagram my amp loses all volume, gain and channel controls… just outputs a loud clean tone that can’t be controlled from the amp, only from the guitar. And every channel (red, blue, green) output the same clean tone that cants be adjusted on gain or volume. I literally have the volume and gain knobs for every channel set to zero and all channels output the same volume and clean sound. I suspect the routing I’ve used is bypassing the preamp but I’m not sure. Just know it’s not what I want of course.

What have I done wrong?

Where do I need to read up on achieving the rig and routing I’m looking to build?

Please, any advice to this MIDI switching noob is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The only thing you're missing is that the loop that's connected to the amp (input and send) needs to be turned on at all times. Otherwise, you're bypassing the amp's preamp.

The only thing you're missing is that the loop that's connected to the amp (input and send) needs to be turned on at all times. Otherwise, you're bypassing the amp's preamp.
Right on.

I will turn that loop on at all times. I believe I was advised this can be changed in the MEGX Editor's Audio tab?

Also (as I am new to switchers and midi), what is the best documentation to learn the MEGX and MMLT in an out? Just the manuals? Or does RJM have tutorials/videos?

I'm a tad confused on the programming process. Do I just use the Mac/PC Editor Softwares to set parameters for the MEGX/MMLT hardware respectively? Or can I also program loop presets through these editors as well?

Or is programming only done via manual hardware programming?

Side note: I'm getting a MIDI thru box to send MIDI commands to the EVH 515OIII... I am getting a 4 output MIDI Thru box because I plan to build a wet dry down the road... but for now, do I need the MIDI Thru box? Or can I send MIDI commands from the LT to the MEGx and then out the MEGX to the EHV 515OIII?

Thank you for all help and advice!

There's a Global Defaults menu item in the MEGX editor - turn the loop on, and click the lock icon next to it to keep it on.

We don't have a specific video for using the MMLT and MEGX together, unfortunately. There's more than one way to get them working together, but the first question is: do you want to have a mode where you can turn individual MEGX loops on and off using LT buttons, or are you only going to be setting up and recalling presets, where each preset has a different set of loops turned on?

only going to be setting up and recalling presets, where each preset has a different set of loops turned on?

That's my plan. I don't need to stompbox... I prefer to work with presets.

In my mind's eye: I would set up every concievable combination of AMP-CHANNEL/EFFECT for my pedals and have them in preset banks...

Then in playlist mode mix and match those presets so the 4 LT buttons always correspond to "Intro", "Verse", "Chorus", "Bridge/Outro" and have them color coded as such so when I'm in playlist mode if I see "green" I'll always know that I'm on the chorus of the song and will be able to quickly guage where the corresponding song part presets are even in low lighting situations.

Side note: I'm getting a MIDI thru box to send MIDI commands to the EVH 515OIII... I am getting a 4 output MIDI Thru box because I plan to build a wet dry down the road... but for now, do I need the MIDI Thru box? Or can I send MIDI commands from the LT to the MEGX and then out the MEGX to the EHV 515OIII?

Ok, then the easiest thing to do is set up your MEGX presets using either the MEG's front panel buttons or the MEGX editor. You won't need to do much on the LT itself, it should already be set up to select presets on the MEGX.

You can connect the MEGX's MIDI output to the 5150, it's effectively a MIDI thru.

Ok, then the easiest thing to do is set up your MEGX presets using either the MEG's front panel buttons or the MEGX editor. You won't need to do much on the LT itself, it should already be set up to select presets on the MEGX.

Right on.

You can connect the MEGX's MIDI output to the 5150, it's effectively a MIDI thru.

So in a single amp setup I will will be able to just plug the MIDI OUT of the MEGX into the EVH and add amp channel changes to LT presets?

Do I need to add the EVH as a MIDI device in the MMLT editor or the MEGX editor?

Right on.

So in a single amp setup I will will be able to just plug the MIDI OUT of the MEGX into the EVH and add amp channel changes to LT presets?

Do I need to add the EVH as a MIDI device in the MMLT editor or the MEGX editor?

Yes, MIDI Out of MEGX to 5150 MIDI In

The 5150 should be added as a Generic device in the LT editor.

Yes, MIDI Out of MEGX to 5150 MIDI In

The 5150 should be added as a Generic device in the LT editor.
I set the 3rd Channel effects Loop routing to "locked - always on" in the MEGX editor. I have signall now!

Having some humming issues... perhaps might be crummy power in my building or an issue wit hthe amp that needs to be fixed. I am trouble shooting this week. And I also have to futz around with the 515O as a device in the MIDI menu. But it seems I'm getting on my way to getting all this to work.

I am puzzled though. I plan on splitting 5 of the 6 channels (possibly all 6 to 12 loops if I can figure out the best way to split the Effects Loop routing). I understand programming need to be done on the computer since there are only 6 loop buttons on the MEGX. If this is true, where is best to readup on that process? If not true, what's the best place to read up on creating and saving presets for split mono loops?

Thanks again!

These videos should help:

The latter shows the Mastermind PBC/6X, but most of it applies to the LT because the PBC and LT are very similar (except that the PBC has its own audio loops).

These videos should help:

The latter shows the Mastermind PBC/6X, but most of it applies to the LT because the PBC and LT are very similar (except that the PBC has its own audio loops).
I've been plucking away at learning this system and setting it up.

When it comes to amp channel changing via MIDI I can't find much.

I've encluded a document that describes how to MIDI program my amp... but how do I send a PC Message to the amp from the MMLT to map to one of the 515OIII's 3 channels so I can see the PC messages in the editor on the computer and build amp channel changes into my preset buttons? I don't see anything in the MMLT manual about PC Messages and haven't found anything in any videos yet.

Attachments

• MIDI Programming EVH® 5150III 50W Series.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Every preset can send PC messages to all connected devices. In the editor's Presets tab, it has a PC Messages section, and that's where you specify where which PC is sent to each device. For something like the 5150III, it's easiest to have a different PC number sent by each preset, then follow the instructions in the 5150III manual, selecting a preset on the Mastermind when you need to send a PC.

Every preset can send PC messages to all connected devices. In the editor's Presets tab, it has a PC Messages section, and that's where you specify where which PC is sent to each device. For something like the 5150III, it's easiest to have a different PC number sent by each preset, then follow the instructions in the 5150III manual, selecting a preset on the Mastermind when you need to send a PC.
I get that…

In the EVH manual I’ve read how to map the amp to pc messages per channel… my question is: how do I send that message out when I’m mapping to the EVH?

Example: to map to channel 3 I have to press a sequence of buttons and get lights to blink a certain sequence. Then have the midi controller send a pc message to the EVH. Then hit another button or two on the EVH to store the mapped channel. Then boom, it’s supposed to be mapped to a specific pc message for that particular channel…

But where or what panel/button in the LT (on the desktop software or on the unit itself) do I use to send the pc message as an
Instance when the EVH is expecting to receive so it can map to the channel to that pc message?

Apologizes if that sounded confusing. I’m learning.

Selecting a preset on the LT will send a PC message.
So if I select a preset and write those changes to the LT it is "always sending" that signal and when I initiate mapping on the EVH it will receive the PC message because it's "always sending"?

I'm not sure what you mean by always sending. Every time you press a preset button on the LT, it sends a specific PC. So, in that sense, it's always sending, I guess.

I did a bunch of videos explaining our controllers, they give a lot of background information that may be helpful. Episode 3 explains how presets and PCs work, among other things:

I'm not sure what you mean by always sending. Every time you press a preset button on the LT, it sends a specific PC. So, in that sense, it's always sending, I guess.

I did a bunch of videos explaining our controllers, they give a lot of background information that may be helpful. Episode 3 explains how presets and PCs work, among other things:

Oh, I understand all of that. And I'v ewatched many videos. I'm happy to watch more. There's just very little EVH documentation on mapping so I'm trying to figure this all out to add amp channel changes to presets in the LT.

My issue is mapping the EVH channels to PC messages so each channel has it's own PC number. Bellow is an exerpt from the EVH MIDI Programming document I posted in this thread:

"Follow the instructions below EXACTLY. NO VARIATIONS!! You will be programming
CH3, CH2 and CH1. This order is not required, but it makes the process clearer.
· Connect your MIDI Controller to the MIDI Input on the EVH Head.
· Put the amp into CH3 by pressing the CH3 Select button once. The CH3 red
LED should be on.
· CH3 Programming - Enter programming mode by pressing both CH1/2 and CH3
Select buttons momentarily. The CH3 RED LED should now be blinking. Send a
single Program Change Message you want to map to CH3 from your MIDI
Controller.
The amp will switch back to CH1 with the GREEN LED blinking. This is
because the default programming stored is all PC messages to CH1. Press the
CH3 Select button once. All of the channel LEDs will flash momentarily and the
CH3 RED LED will start blinking again. It is difficult to see the ‘flash’ as the
programmed LED starts to blink immediately after the flash. You have now
programmed CH3. The CH3 RED LED will still be blinking."

If I read this correctly, I need to send a single PC Message to the amp. So I guess it means I create a preset sending just to the amp device in the LT Editor (say PC message 5 for example) then I assign that preset to a button on the LT. I connect up the EVH and follow the instructions, then when I need to "send PC Message" I hit the button I assigned that single PC message to. Then that channel on the EVH should be mapped to that PC Message so anytime I create a new preset in the LT Editor it will call up that message for the EVH Device.

This is how I read the step by step process. So, I can only map channels using the hardware... I can't hit a button in the LT software to send the Pc message when mapping. Mapping can only be done via hardware but one the EVH has each channe mapped to PC messages I can call up and add those PC Messages to presets on the software anytime I please? Correct?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Back