Expression pedal with Mastermind

ShaunBennett

Hi,

I just bought a Volcano by Sound Sculpture. This allows you to control you volume via midi. I've connected my expression pedal to my Mastermind and I can't seem to get it to work properly with my Volcano. Has anyone here used this setup before?

Shaun

I have, once, in a rig I built for someone. The Volcano is just about the most confusing piece of gear I've ever worked with. Great bit of kit, but it sure takes some getting used to. From what I recall you have to send both PC and CC messages to it? My advice is to read the manual, over and over again, and make sure the internal (I think) switches are set how you want them to work.

You are correct in that it's the most confusing piece of gear. I've spoken to Ken at Sound Sculpture and he wasn't much help w this issues. He actually doesn't advise using an expression pedal through a foot controller. I've read both the Mastermind and Volcano manuals a million times and I'm still lost.

I'll keep researching to see if I can correct this issues. Right now, I'm just stuck w a expensive piece of non working gear. Thanks for your reply Martin.

The Volcano is harder to use via MIDI than I'd like. I've never used one personally, but have walked people through the setup in the past. I know we've gone part way through this process via email, but I'll repeat it here for posterity.

First, you probably should change the MIDI channel on the Volcano to an unused MIDI channel. The Volcano has switches on it that allow you to do this. We'll say that we're setting it to channel 3.

Next, set up the expression pedal port to send the correct CC messages. This parameter is set for each preset, so you select the desired preset, enter setup mode (hold 1, press 3), and then press the 1 button until you get to "Pdl". Press the 2 button until you get to controller 0 (cc000). Press the 5 button until you get to channel 3 (CH03). This needs to be set for every preset that you intend to use the Volcano. You can use the Bank up and down buttons to change which preset you're editing without exiting setup mode.

Next, the Volcano needs a PC message to activate it. You need to set up another device in the global setup. If you're not in setup already, hold 1, press 3. Press the Function button until you get to PC2 (program change device #2). (If PC2 is already taken, use PC3 or PC4). Press the 5 button to select CH03 (channel 3).

Now, you need to set whether or not the Volcano is active for each preset. Select the preset, hold 1, press 3 to enter Setup mode. Press the 1 button until you get to PC2. Press the 2 button until you get to =054 (program change 54). This only needs to be set on one preset, but it's probably best to set it on most or all presets - the Volcano won't work until this message is sent to it.

Give this a try and please let us know how it works for you...

I am interested in the Volcano, though not sure if it's still too difficult to use with a Mastermind GT 22. I'd like the ability to have it always on as a volume pedal, while also setting the toe down level per preset (i.e. certain presets will have toe down 0db, others +2, +3db, -1db, etc.). So as a "master volume" for each preset at toe down, while also consistently working as a vol pedal. Is this possible?

Back