EXPRESSION PEDALS

Ok, I found the issue, but not 100% on the cause.

I have tested with multiple cables and pedals, and have eliminated them as a cause. I didn't find this initially because the pedal will calibrate normally at least some of the time before it goes wild unexpectedly. I attached a short movie (sorry, you'll have to rotate it left to be upright) showing what I see when I go back to the calibrate screen for External Pedal 1. This pedal previously calibrated to full scale, and worked momentarily before it again turned on the wah and I couldn't make it go off. Throughout this video, the wah is untouched and completely toe down, my normal off position. As my Axe FX has the wah set to auto-engage at 95%, you can see why it wouldn't go off.

I have been able to reproduce this behavior with multiple pedals and cables, but only on External 1. I moved to External 2, recalibrated and it has been working correctly for a while now, so I think it is stable. When I go back to the Calibrate screen, the pedal is toe down and the bar remains completely to the right of the scale, as it should. I will continue testing prior to next gig this weekend.

The cable connector for External 1 seems to operate perfectly, it is tight with no discernible slop and engages the TRS connector securely.

@rjmmusic have you seen anything like this before? I am 90% sure it is something isolated to the External 1 circuit, maybe even just the connector, but wanted to pick your brain on it. If everything works as is, I am fine. I only use one expression pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.MOV.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@rjmmusic have you seen anything like this before? I am 90% sure it is something isolated to the External 1 circuit, maybe even just the connector, but wanted to pick your brain on it. If everything works as is, I am fine. I only use one expression pedal.

Yeah, it looks like the Exp Pedal 1 input needs a bit of work. We can repair it for you, or you can use one of the other inputs.

Yeah, it looks like the Exp Pedal 1 input needs a bit of work. We can repair it for you, or you can use one of the other inputs.
Great, Ron, and thanks for replying quickly. Yes, I have been running it for several hours, 100% stable here so I am going to call that done. I am good to go... still have two spares. Considering the location and how close to the stage front my setup is at times, I'm guessing it got banged and knocked something out of whack just enough to not make consistent contact on that port. If we get a break in the schedule I'll send it your way for a repair. Any idea on what the turnaround would be on something like that?

Great, Ron, and thanks for replying quickly. Yes, I have been running it for several hours, 100% stable here so I am going to call that done. I am good to go... still have two spares. Considering the location and how close to the stage front my setup is at times, I'm guessing it got banged and knocked something out of whack just enough to not make consistent contact on that port. If we get a break in the schedule I'll send it your way for a repair. Any idea on what the turnaround would be on something like that?

Typically we can turn a repair around in 2 business days.

Hello,
A question from a newly here.
I connect my Fractal exp pedal to the GT22, did all the this right cc number calibrate, the standard setting for a wah-wah's or Volume so it worked but .....
The sweep is not even linear, whiten a few mm (metric system) it goes from little to the max.
So I changed it for a Mission EP1 the same thing.

When I connect these pedal to a KPA there work just fine.

Any suggestions ???

Hello,
A question from a newly here.
I connect my Fractal exp pedal to the GT22, did all the this right cc number calibrate, the standard setting for a wah-wah's or Volume so it worked but .....
The sweep is not even linear, whiten a few mm (metric system) it goes from little to the max.
So I changed it for a Mission EP1 the same thing.

When I connect these pedal to a KPA there work just fine.

Any suggestions ???

You need a cable to reverse the pedal's polarity, then it should start working correctly. You can find more information here:
https://rjmmusic.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/232886-my-expression-pedal-is-acting-strangely-

General question about expression pedals:

I just bought a MMGT10 and a KPA. I am trying to decide between a SP1-RJM or a EP1-KPA.

First, Which is a better expression pedal for this setup? What are the pros and cons for each?

Second, I run a volume and wah in front of the Kemper. I read some conflicting info about using the SP1-RJM as both a wah and volume. Is it possible when the wah is clicked off that it can se set up to become a volume pedal?

thanks for any input!

If you just want to switch between wah and volume, you could use either the EP1-KP plugged into the Kemper or the SP1-RJM plugged into the GT, Both will do the same job, once they've been set up. Plugging it into the GT would give you more flexibility if you're ever planning to add other MIDI devices in addition to the KPA.

So I had my first gig in a while the other night and While my MMGT22 and Axe III have been working fine at home but when I set up at the gig none of my three expression pedals were working. The MMGT22 would change presets and my external momentary switches were working but none of the expression pedals, which are two Nektars and a Dunlop DVP3, were doing anything. I could see them working in calibration mode but nothing was happening on the Axe. I ended up just turning up the mix on some effects on the Axe and toggling them on/off. The Nektars are the same thing as the M-Audio pedal and are placeholders until a couple of Boss EV30s arrive. The only change I can think of is that the pedalboard was sitting in it's case bottom but the connections all looked fine. Anybody have any thoughts?

If they calibrate, the hardware is working fine. I would recommend using a computer to monitor the MIDI output of the GT to make sure it's still sending. Also, review your settings in the Axe-Fx, make sure that the External Control CCs are set starting with Ext Control 1 as 11, Ext Control as 12, etc.

I'm setting up a couple of Boss EV-30 pedals and they are using all their "expression travel" at the very low end of the pedal. I'm sure I can fix this with the taper setting but I'm not seeing any documentation on this. Is it in the manual somewhere and I'm missing it?

That pedal needs a polarity reversing cable to operate correctly:

Ok but it has a reverse switch on it. I just want to verify before I break the pedals open and start soldering. It's weird that pedal was listed as compatible before. So I should just reverse the tip and ring correct?

Ok but it has a reverse switch on it. I just want to verify before I break the pedals open and start soldering. It's weird that pedal was listed as compatible before. So I should just reverse the tip and ring correct?

The problem is that Boss kinda tricked us with that one. Their reverse switch doesn't reverse tip and ring, it reverses the 2nd output so that when one output goes up in value, the other one goes down.

Reversing tip and ring, via cable or modifying the pedal, will fix the polarity issue.

I'm experiencing an issue with expression pedals connected to inputs 2 and 4. When using a pedal through those inputs, it's as if the MMGT isn't keeping up with the pedal movements, like choppy sampling or something. When moving the pedals slowly they will move throughout their range, but anything approaching "normal" pedal movement (e.g. wah, volume swells, etc) and it can't keep up. These same pedals and cables work flawlessly on inputs 1 and 3. Any ideas? Suspecting it's a hardware issue of some sort.

I'm experiencing an issue with expression pedals connected to inputs 2 and 4. When using a pedal through those inputs, it's as if the MMGT isn't keeping up with the pedal movements, like choppy sampling or something. When moving the pedals slowly they will move throughout their range, but anything approaching "normal" pedal movement (e.g. wah, volume swells, etc) and it can't keep up. These same pedals and cables work flawlessly on inputs 1 and 3. Any ideas? Suspecting it's a hardware issue of some sort.
Wow, never heard of that happening... When you test on different inputs, do you use the same settings?

Wow, never heard of that happening... When you test on different inputs, do you use the same settings?
Figured it out, whoo hoo!

So the difference between the pedals that worked and the pedals that didn't was in fact due to the settings. The flaky pedals had a None device in their Continuous Controllers config, but the CC number was set to something other than None. (In both cases the None device was the second one, in case that matters.)

My MMGT ended up in this state as I had changed up my guitar rig and removed a device that the pedals were configured for. When I removed that device from the MMGT Devices list, the device ended up getting set to None in the pedal settings -- but the CC setting remained. As soon as I set the CC values to None for those secondary devices, the pedals started responding as expected.

Ah, thanks for finding that! The lag is because it''s sending (or trying to send) twice as many CC messages. If device is set to None, it shouldn't try to send to that device. I'll look into the issue.

Back