EXPRESSION PEDALS

I should also mention - be sure to run the calibration procedure! From the main setup menu, select "Exp Pedals", select the number of the pedal you wish to calibrate, and then select "Calibrate". Move the pedal through its full range - top to bottom - then press the Done button under the screen.

I have a M-Audio EX-P expression pedal and it works great with the GT. It has a switch underneath that I'm pretty sure is a polarity reversal - it needs to be set to 'other'.

It cost about $60, all plastic construction, and it doesn't feel very nice to use - too easy to rock back and forth. Not recommended, but just thought I'd throw it out there that it works if you're looking for a stop gap until you can get something better like a Mission.

Also, just in case anyone might be considering it, I use a Mission Expressionator (with a Mission EP-1) which works perfectly with the GT if you set it for reverse polarity.

Clearly you don't need to use the Expressionator to switch between the expression pedals going via the GT (because the GT can be programmed to use an attached expression pedal to perform different tasks in each preset), however I also use my expression pedal to control a couple of non-midi devices in my rack (eg. an EHX Ring Thing), so the Expressionator works as a 'splitter' for the expression pedal - ie. connecting it both to the GT as a midi expressional pedal and to the non-midi FX siting in my rack.

Works like a charm.

Another ask - I'm pretty sure this isn't possible at present, but if it is apologies for being dim ...

I'd like to control two MIDI devices from one expression pedal (in my case, for a bunch of reasons, I'd like to be able to control both an Eventide ModFactor and a Line 6 FilterPro from Expression Pedal 2).

I've tried simply adding the relevant CC controller for the second device as an additional action, but you can only choose a CC toggle, so effectively you end up with the pedal sweeping on=127 & off=0 because it doesn't send a continuous controller message.

So, assuming I'm not being daft, could this be a possible extra functionality for expression pedals ...?

Thanks.

Adding a second CC output for each pedal is something we'll add in a future release.

Just thought I would let you know that my Roland EV-5 expression pedals work are working fine with the MMGT. Just plug and play. Calibration worked like a charm.

Would it be possible to show on the main display the value that the expression pedal is at while moving it? Maybe like a vertical progress bar type visual with value and expression pedal number that times out after a couple seconds? This would be really helpful to me as my pedal is really hard to guage anything in between the on and off states.

Hi All,

UPDATE: Unfortunately, this product is no longer for sale. We stopped making them in April 2016, and ran out of stock (and parts) a couple of months later. It was a 'tweener' product that never really reached the point of being able to mass-produce them, and the demand has been falling off for several years.

I don't know anywhere else to get this kind of adapter: in 13 years of making them, there was never a single competitor's product. (Again, points to the small demand.) I'm leaving this post here because the info about 'who does what to whom' is still useful.

-BW

I'm new to this forum. I'm a keyboard player and guitarist who owns a small company called Ashby Solutions. We've been making an adapter called the 'FC7X-II' that swaps the tip and ring for more than 10 years. The main purpose is to adapt Yamaha expression pedals to Roland/M-Audio/Fatar keyboards (and vice versa), but it looks like the adapter will also work to attach an older Mission SP-1 or EP-1 (or a Roland pedal) to the Mastermind GT. If anyone is interested, they are available at --

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.htm

Generally speaking, the keyboard world follows the 'Roland standard,' which sends the wiper of the pot to the Tip. However, Yamaha sends the wiper to the Ring, and for whatever reason(s) has kept this standard since they released their DX7 synth (1982 or '83).

Newer Korg pedals like the XVP-10 follow the Yamaha standard ('cuz Yamaha used to own a piece of Korg), while the Boss/Roland stuff follows the Roland standard (natch). So, if the XVP-10 is on the Mastermind's approved list, yet the EV-5 works after calibration, it's likely more of a 'happy accident' than intentional. Mis-wired pedals will often work, but the useful travel will be bunched up against one end of the throw; sometimes, calibration can smooth this out. Pedals that follow the Yamaha standard (that I know of) are the Yamaha FC7 (including the Korg-logo one that shipped with their organs), the Yamaha FC9 in FC7 mode, the XVP-10, and the Korg EXP-2. Everything else follows the Roland standard -- except most Jim Dunlop pedals, which have a *third* wiring scheme. :roll:

Regards,

-Bruce Wahler
Ashby Solutions

Last edited:
Is the reverse polarity requirement for Mission pedals so that heel and toe positions are swapped? If so, i'm assuming i can just get a regular EP1 and mod one of the trs jacks on the cable? Or can the values in the GT be reversed to suit the EP1?

Reverse polarity doesn't reverse the direction of the pedal - instead it swaps the tip and ring conductor of the TRS jack. You can mod the EP1 pretty easily - just exchange the tip & ring wires inside. Modding the GT itself would be very difficult!

joshkim81 said:
Would it be possible to show on the main display the value that the expression pedal is at while moving it? Maybe like a vertical progress bar type visual with value and expression pedal number that times out after a couple seconds? This would be really helpful to me as my pedal is really hard to guage anything in between the on and off states.
GREAT IDEA! ~ No other controller I know of does this! :cool:

The Gordius can sho the value while moving or when the perdal stops moving.
With the Gordius, there's also no need to reverse the polarity on some pedals as you can select the type of pedal in the menu.

I just got my hands on a Mission RJM expression pedal. It's incredibly responsive! The toe switch is perfect for a real Wah feel!
When the Wah is switched off it turns into a volume pedal :eek: Just perfect

Some others pedals that I have tested are:

Korg EXP-2 use TRS-TRS cable. very good

Boss FV-500H use a TRS-TRS cable. In the exp input or seems more responsive set up with a "Y" insert cable like its a volume pedal
a little jumpy in calibration but doesn't seem to have a problem controlling effects

AMT EX-50 use a TRS-TRS cable. It dosn't seem to go all the way to the toe position in calibration, but just a fraction off. It's pretty cool for micro...

Ernie Ball VP jr. 6180 use the "Y" cable 2 TS (mono) to 1 TRS (stereo) seems good a little jumpy in the middle

If purching I'd recommend the Mission RJM or the Korg.

The others work and I had them already so I'm going to use them.
I don't know if I'd recommend purching them for this use? Inless you can find them used for a good price
hope this helps.

I just bought a GT10 that I will be using with a Kemper. I know Mission makes a pedal specifically the KPA, and one for use with the MMGT. I would prefer to use the pedal made for the MMGT, as it has more functionality and can be used with other devices.

If I buy the SP-1 MMGT, do I need to calibrate it before I use it to control the KPA? Or is the calibration built into the KPA's database information?

Also, I have a really old Polytone expression pedal. No way to know its polarity. Is there any danger in trying it with the MMGT? If polarity is wrong, will it just reverse the effect's parameter?

You can use the SP1-RJM pedal with the KPA. Make sure to set the polarity setting to "Type 2" in the KPA. You should calibrate the pedal on both the GT and Kemper for best results.

The pedal needs to be wired with reverse polarity to get the correct sweep. It's pretty easy to fix in a Mission pedal if you're ok at soldering, otherwise you can use a TRS cable that swaps the tip and ring at one end. Best-tronics would be able to build that for you, among others.

Back