External Switch Question

ekkomouse

I had a switch built to the specs listed in the manual. I had him add two led's, one for each switch and follow the schematic. I have gotten the pedal and one switch is working but no leds light. This may be mis wiring on his part or damage in transit, but I wanted to check to see if there was anything I needed to do in the menu system of the PBC?

You do need to set the external switch's button type to something other than "Off". Set it to "IA" and that should be enough to allow the LED to turn on.

Ok, I have troubleshot the pedal and am able to get the LED to light on the one side by changing the pbc led color to red and the button to IA. Do you know of a way to test the pbc or the pedal to tell if the PBC is sending the signal for the other button, or the pedal to tell if its receiving it? Just trying to figure out which is the culprit. Thanks!

If you have a multimeter with a diode testing setting, you could connect red lead to the tip and black lead to the sleeve of the cable coming out of the pedal. One LED should light up. Then connect the red lead to the ring and the black lead to the sleeve. The other LED should light up.

Which makes me think of something - are you using a TRS cable to connect the switch?

Another test if you have a voltmeter. Disconnect the TRS cable from the pedal, leaving it plugged into the PBC. Measure DC voltage from tip to ground, then measure from ring to ground. Do this right after restarting the PBC, you want to make sure the PBC thinks that both switches are turned off. The voltages in each case should measure similarly, around 1 volt.

OK I got my hands on a multimeter, I was able to verify that both LEDs light up on the pedal using the test above, so I'm guessing that means the pedal is OK. I tried the other test and as I'm not as familiar with using a multimeter I did get readings around 1V for the tip but it also fluctuated and I'm not sure exactly when it's supposed to change. The ring appears to be lower than 1 volt but fluctuates also.

From the editor, the switch that doesnt work is the top switch when looking at the editor screen so Im not sure if that one is linked to the tip or ring. Any ideas for me to test or do you think I have an issue with my PBC?

Heres a video of both tests.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5nhfxnzo9hzm1p/IMG_0091.MOV?dl=0

I am having a similar issue to this Ron. The boys at Goodwood audio made me an external controller and I did all the above tests and both passed the tests but will not turn on LED wise when connected to the PBC.

ekko - I was unable to download the video - can you send it again?

Cody - can you send me your settings so I can check them?

Cody - in your case you're using the buttons to switch pages. Those work best when set to momentary (which they are). Buttons set to Momentary never light up, because they don't stay on when released.

You could try turning Momentary off, but the problem is that if you use the button once, the light will turn on and stay on. Even if you leave the current page, it will stay on until you press it again. Pressing it a second time would return you to page 2, but then the light would turn off. What needs to be done is allow IA Link to work with the current page, similar to how a button with a Preset action will highlight when that preset is selected. I will add that to the todo list.

I’m having the same issue. When I test the pbc with my multimeter a TRS cable connected it seems to not see the tip only reads the ring.

I set both buttons the same something easy like turning function switch 1 on and off but I only get one LED on my two button analog endevers auxrjm switch to work. I’ve replace the TRS cable and check it but no dice. Any ideas

Last edited:
I’m having the same issue. When I test the pbc with my multimeter a TRS cable connected it seems to not see the tip only reads the ring.

I set both buttons the same something easy like turning function switch 1 on and off but I only get one LED on my two button analog endevers auxrjm switch to work. I’ve replace the TRS cable and check it but no dice. Any ideas

If you've checked the cable, then we'd probably need to have a look at the PBC.

Please email us at support AT rjmmusic DOT com and we can start the RMA process. Send us a copy of your receipt and your return address and we'll send you an RMA number. Repairs are typically turned around in 2-3 business days.

Back