External Tap Tempo - Something that flashes?

ralphonz

Hi Guys,

Just got my GT16, really enjoying it! I hooked up an old footswitch and I'm using it as tap tempo for the axe fx - Using a really long jack cable I can give it to the drummer to tap! Excellent.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an external switch that can be made to flash in time with the tempo just like the GT does? It would provide an awesome visual cue for the drummer.

The LED on my Mission SP1-RJM goes on and off so I at least know this must be possible to implement!

Yes, the external foot switches we sell in our web store can do that, and the manual has info on how they're made (it's quite easy). Others have made or had people make footswitches that are compatible.

I'm planning to build myself a dual footswitch in a small enclosure. I typically just use fairly standard LEDs that I stock in my parts bin, which are 5000mcd Forward Voltage (V) : 3.2 ~ 3.8 Reverse Current (uA) : <=30. Will those be suitable for the Mastermind GT as noted in the manual?

I'm planning to build myself a dual footswitch in a small enclosure. I typically just use fairly standard LEDs that I stock in my parts bin, which are 5000mcd Forward Voltage (V) : 3.2 ~ 3.8 Reverse Current (uA) : <=30. Will those be suitable for the Mastermind GT as noted in the manual?

Hey Sleestak,

I would be eternally grateful if you could document/share your build when you get it done!

Hey Sleestak,

I would be eternally grateful if you could document/share your build when you get it done!
Ralphonz,
I will be happy to do that. Aside from the specifics on the LEDs, the rest is straight-forward. When I do the build, I'll take photos and provide a parts list.

I also have Red LEDs in my parts bin, which have a lower forward voltage. The spec on them is 5000mcd Forward Voltage (V) : 1.8 ~ 2.2 Reverse Current (uA) : <=30. Based on what I see in the manual, it appears the lower forward voltage is preferable. Also, will I need to include a resistor inline for the LED, or will it function properly without the resistor?

An LED with a forward voltage over 3V isn't going to work, but 1.8 to 2.2 is fine. Don't include a resistor - that'll stop it from working as well. Just an LED in parallel with a normally open momentary switch is all that's needed.

An LED with a forward voltage over 3V isn't going to work, but 1.8 to 2.2 is fine. Don't include a resistor - that'll stop it from working as well. Just an LED in parallel with a normally open momentary switch is all that's needed.
Perfect! Thank you. I'll start making solder fumes as soon as I'm back home from this run of shows.

Back