Flat numbering

Neill00

I read about this in the manual and just had a few clarifying questions. If I understood the manual correctly it means I don’t need to use banks to send the PC. So my guess is that if I use flat numbering, the MMGT will calculate the bank and preset number for me. So if for expample I entered 412 it would calculate bank 3 PC 27. Or or perhaps the numbering system starts at 0 and not 1 which would be an easy enough adjustment, maybe as simple as changing the “PC offset” to 1. In this case do I need to adjust the “Max PC” and “# of Presets” parameters? The other question is will it read the same flat numbering from another device that has the ability to send flat numbering midi? And if so is it set on the same page or maybe just automatic?

Unfortunately, there's a lot of variance in the way pedals handle banks, so you do need to set Max PC and # of presets to accommodate that. For example, Strymon pedals have 3 MIDI banks, but they only support 100 presets in each bank instead of the typical 128. In that case, Max PC would be 99 (for presets 0-99) and # of presets would be 300 (3 banks of 100). If you let me know what you're working with, I can probably figure out the parameters for it.

I'm not sure what you mean in the last 2 questions. The setting is independent from device to device. The Flat Numbering feature is a feature of the Mastermind, there's nothing required of the pedal. It can be used with any pedal that supports MIDI banks (and, it's not needed on pedals that don't support MIDI banks)

I don’t use any devices that aren’t standard 128 so I didn’t realize the main purpose for those was for pedals that weren’t standard. Now I have a better understanding of what they do. So I would basically have those settings set the same as if I was entering bank and pc numbers becuase it’s exactly what is happening the only difference is that the MMGT is doing the bank and PC calculations based on the flat number.

So that has to do with the MMGT sending PC using flat numbering. The last two questions had to do with the MMGT receiving flat numbering. The Bandhelper app on my ipad seems to offer the option to send bank and PC to a device or what it calls “Midi Song Number”. Now that I have read your response and given it a little more reflection, I realize it has nothing to do with any given device reading flat numbering, because any device that sends it is doing the conversion. So in this case if Bandhelper‘s “Midi Song Number” is the equivalent to MMGT “Flat Numbering” it will do the conversion and send the appropriate bank and PC info based on the number.

I now have enough understanding, to play around with this and see how it works. Thanks

Back