Folding Stereo back to Mono

JeffMarshMusic

Hi Ron,

I was thinking of connecting my last 4 pedals (CE-2 chorus, H9, Timeline, and BigSky) in Stereo for the ZERO times I will perform live using stereo. Will the PBC convert back to mono if I only use Amp A? Perhaps a button setting in the back? I don't believe Strymon will collapse to mono if only using the Left Output on the last pedal.

Thanks,
jm

The PBC/10 can be modified so that the Mono Output button, when pressed, mixes down the left and right sides of the stereo signal. But, a stock unit doesn't do that.

You could also add a box that does that externally, like the Goodwood Interfacer.

K
Hi Ron,

I was thinking of connecting my last 4 pedals (CE-2 chorus, H9, Timeline, and BigSky) in Stereo for the ZERO times I will perform live using stereo. Will the PBC convert back to mono if I only use Amp A? Perhaps a button setting in the back? I don't believe Strymon will collapse to mono if only using the Left Output on the last pedal.

Thanks,
jm
Keep in mind that summing stereo effect down to mono doesn't always sound as good as just running mono or running stereo. There are often nuances lost due to phasing or whatever. I've tested this quite a bit. It's convenient if you switch between mono and stereo often. However, it can probably sound better if you just go one of the other.

I have a Goodwood Interfacer. It's a solid solution and one seriously tidy box. Sensei is right that the summed mono signal doesn't technically sound identical to the stereo signal, but the difference is only slight in my opinion. The only meaningful difference I find is that the modulation on my stereo effects like the Timeline's wet signal is kinda less potent. However, I regularlly perform in mono and I'm satisfied with the results. Stereo is obviously better though.

Back