Function Switch and Mesa Head-Track

cgscotto

I am using the function switch on the LT to select an amp using the Mesa Head Track. I have things working the way I want, but it does not make sense. Plus I am not clear on the programming in presets because I also have an IA button assigned to the Function 1 switch and programming the switching does not work the way I thought it would.

The HT has a remote jack for switching with a latching foot switch. Here is how the HT selects between A and B according to the manual:

Mesa Head-Track
Amp A selected = contact closure open
Amp B selected = contact closure closed

The manual for the LT editor says the following for inverted and non-inverted modes:

LT Invert (Normally Closed)
Function Switch on = relay open
Function Switch off = relay closed

LT Non-Invert (Normally Open)
Function Switch on = relay closed
Function Switch off = relay open

First, I made the decision that when I turn Function Switch 1 on, it should select amp A and when off it selects amp B. With the Function Switch 1 on selecting amp A and off selecting amp B, I thought I should select Invert mode for the function switches on the Global page. However, when I did nothing switched the way I thought it would.

Currently, I have the LT function switches in the non-inverted normally open mode, and everything works the way I want it to but it seems opposite of the description in the manual. For example, if I want a preset to select amp B, I click the override button for Function Switch 1 and set the state to OFF, which does select amp B when the preset is selected. If I want a preset to select amp A, I click the override button for Function Switch 1 and set the state to ON, which selects amp A when the preset is selected. The way this is working seems like I should have Invert selected to put the function switches in Normally Closed mode. What am I missing?

Also, as I said, I have an IA button assigned to the Function 1 switch. It works perfectly as a stand alone switch. However, if I try to program a preset to select amp A, for example, by activating the IA button when programming the preset, it does seems to send the message to switch. I have "Update on Preset Change" and "Send CC on Preset Change" selected. I still need to set the function switch state using the override button to make the preset select the correct amp, and my programming of the IA switch is simply to match the state of the function switch in the preset.

Any insights would be much apprecitated.

The function switch settings (the ones in the bottom left of the preset tab) have precedence over anything that's programmed on IA buttons. As long as you do your programming using those settings, it'll work fine. As long as IA Link is turned on on your Function Switch button, the button's LED state should stay in sync with the actual function switch state.

Regarding inversion, the only explanation I can suggest (however unlikely) is maybe Mesa has their description backwards? If you set the switch to inverted, does it work the way you want it to? If so, I'd set it and not worry about it. If you're curious, you could just plug a 1/4-inch cable into the Head Track's switching input with the other end of the cable unconnnected, then see if it's on A or B. If it's on A, then the documentation is right and something else is going on. If it's on B, then the switch works the opposite of what Mesa says.

Mesa's documentation must be wrong. I can't completely check the plug connection on the HT because plugging in a cable to the remote jack defeats the footswitch. However, with the cable plugged in, the switch defaults to amp B being selected, which according to Mesa should be contact closure closed, but it is open.

I checked the switching coming out of the LT, and it is as it should be for the non-inverted mode: switch on-relay closed; switch off-relay open. And since the HT pedal indicated that with amp B selected the contact closure was open (not closed as indicated by Mesa), I have to concluded they got it backwards in the manual. Knowing this could have saved me a couple of hours of messing around.

Thanks for the explanation of the programming the function switches in the presets. I have IA link selected, and it performs as you say. As always, you have the best customer support and products.

The function switch settings (the ones in the bottom left of the preset tab) have precedence over anything that's programmed on IA buttons. As long as you do your programming using those settings, it'll work fine. As long as IA Link is turned on on your Function Switch button, the button's LED state should stay in sync with the actual function switch state.

Regarding inversion, the only explanation I can suggest (however unlikely) is maybe Mesa has their description backwards? If you set the switch to inverted, does it work the way you want it to? If so, I'd set it and not worry about it. If you're curious, you could just plug a 1/4-inch cable into the Head Track's switching input with the other end of the cable unconnnected, then see if it's on A or B. If it's on A, then the documentation is right and something else is going on. If it's on B, then the switch works the opposite of what Mesa says.

Thanks for letting us know! Knowing this might save someone else's sanity in the future...

Back