GT 16 issue? Lights barely visible and no text.

matt-phaeleh

Hi Ron,

I hope you're well, it's been a while!

Sadly I'm having a problem with my GT16.

It mostly sits in a flightcase these days and gets used once or twice a year, for specific things I'm doing. I powered it up this evening, and all was well and functioning fine. I turned away for a moment, and when I looked back the lights were barely visible. There is clearly something going on (as you can see in the video), but there's no text and despite trying a few different power adapters I'm having no joy. In the video I'm plugging the power in and out, and hopefully you can see something is happening, but obviously not what's it's supposed to be doing.

Any thoughts on what the issue is? Is there any kind of hardware reset option using the unit itself? My usb connection is a bit flakey these days, so I mostly just edit on the hardware.

Thanks

Matt

What are you using to power it? There could be an internal problem, but it also could be the result of an insufficient power supply.

Hey Ron, thanks for the fast reply!

I'll have a check tomorrow when I'm in the studio, but off the top of my head it's a 2A 12V adaptor, with the IEC connector coming from a Furman PL-PRO DMC. I did try it with a couple of other similarly rated power supplies, and whilst they worked with other synths with the same power requirements, the lights wouldn't power up properly on the GT with any of them.

I have used the same power supply since I got the GT16 in 2015 without any issues, which is why it took me a bit by surprise, as it's been totally reliable up to now.

Will let you know when I've double checked the info on the power supply!

Hi Ron,

Just following up on this. Can confirm the specs above are correct. I checked with a couple more power supplies again and still nothing.

I did try something else though, when I have something plugged into the DC outlets of the GT, they power up absolutely fine, which suggests the power supply is ok.

Would it be worth opening up the unit to see if any connectors have come loose?

It's pretty unlikely that any connectors would come loose, but it's worth a try. While you're in there, it would be helpful to power it up with the lowest circuit board disconnected from the gray ribbon cable and see if the GT powers up. Then, power it up again with the lower 2 circuit boards disconnected. Finally, power it up with the ribbon cable completely disconnected. If any of those tests results in the GT powering up, then we've found the culprit. If not, then it's in the main CPU board or the top row of displays.

Awesome, thanks so much Ron, you're a star!

I'll give this a proper go in the next day or two and let you know how I get on.

Hope you're well. :)

Hey Ron,

Sadly no joy with the above, so I'll start a new support ticket to see what options there might be in terms of saving the GT.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Back