GT22 acts funny when USB is plugged in

Mr.E

Now it jumps 127 preset further when selecting a reset.
I have to unplug the USB-cable and power cycle it to get it to work normally again.
This and the other problems I'm having when the USB-cable is plugged in is driving me nuts.

Do you have any MIDI related apps running on the computer when this is happening?

I'm not sure.
The problem is it only happens after a while. Not right away.
I could be having both editors open and everything works fine and all of a sudden weird things start to happen.
Sometimes I leave the Axe-Fx and GT22 on all day opening an editor when I want to make changes.
If I want to change something in the RJM editor I open AxeEdit as well to see how the preset is configured.
I don't always close it after editing.
So it's hard to tell.
I'll try to keep the units on for a long time without opening AxeEdit and see what happens.
What I did notice though was something strange when setting up an external control on AxeEdit.
When I transfer settings to the GT22 and I have the modifier screen open on AE, the line in the modifier graph switches from diagonal to flat.
Closing and opening the screen resets it.
So there's definitely something affecting both units or editors.

Today I had it on for about 8 hours - no glitches.
I turned on AxeEdit and after a while, the GT22 wouldn't switch presets when I switched presets on AE.
Closing AE and power cycling didn't help.
Only removing the USB cable and power cycling made the GT22 switch presets with the AxeFx again.

I'll try setting it up here and let it run and see what happens. I'll take your last posted settings, unless you have some newer changes you want me to try.

I don't think it matters since it started before I did the whole factory reset.
Next I'll try to run RJM editor on another PC and see what happens.

I have been having a similar problem too when I leave it on for a longer time but I don’t have the USB plugged in when it happens. Some of the preset switches get funky and skip way up when I hit them. It clears up when I pull the power for awhile so thought it may be midi cable or switch related to my unit until I saw this.

I was going to test some further because this morning it happened without the USB cable plugged in.
I did have AxeEdit open.

Do either of you have a setup where you could monitor the MIDI messages generated when the problem is happening? The easiest way would be to see what's coming out of the Axe's MIDI Thru. This would only show us with the GT is sending, but it would probably tell us if the GT or the Axe-Fx is at fault.

Just an update - I have been running a GT/22 and Axe-Fx III together with Mr.E's settings (on the GT) for 5 days straight now. I'm also running Axe-Edit at the same time. When I walk by it, I change presets a few times and change scenes a few times using the GT. So far, I haven't seen any issues with incorrect preset numbers.

I looked at the previous posts again, and I noticed the number 127. Is it possible that it's actually 128? That's the size of a MIDI bank. If CC#32 is sent to the GT, or CC#0 is sent to the Axe-Fx, that would shift the bank number. For example, if you send CC#0, value 1 to the Axe-Fx, then all PC messages sent after that will access presets 128-255 instead of 0-127. The only way to get it back to presets 0-127 is to send CC#0, value 0.

The GT does this automatically to allow access to all 768 presets, but maybe something else sent a CC to shift the bank? Is that possible in your setup?

Could be, I'm not sure.
I tried running MidiOx to capture the Midi data but the stream of data is too big to find the data I'm looking for.
Probably because of the clock data and so.
And I don't want to turn anything off because that would change the parameters.
I'm convinced it has something to do with the USB connection on cause the last time it happened, I tried power cycling both the GT and the AeFx but nothing worked until I pulled the USB cable from the GT

Last edited:
There was an interesting development in another thread - the customer discovered that similar problems (weird PC offsets) happened only when using the phantom power box. Connecting to both the MIDI In and Out of the GT instead of just the MIDI Out made the problem go away. I'll be looking into this, but if you are using a one-cable connection I recommend trying a two cable connection to see if anything changes.

Thanks for the update Ron.
I had been thinking abut this but I find it strange this only started happening after a long time of working flawlessly.
Unless cable deterioration is the cause.

Thanks Ron- I haven’t had a chance to troubleshoot this yet but could be using #35. I will say that on only run one 7-pin midi cable to power mine with nothing to the midi in side. I did read the other thread and the trouble that I have is usually with presets next to each other too.

Back