GT22 Phantom Power with Egnator SS4

Coalface

Hi Guys,

Probably been asked before, but here goes. In the GT22 manual, it's stated that phantom juice across MIDI pins 6-7 can be either 12vdc or 9vac at enough current (assuming possibly requiring more than 2amps at 9vac). Is it possible to put 9vac on the main power input and power the GT?

But I'm more interested in the phantom power option mainly, as I have an Egnator SS4 Headswitcher, which has a Phantom power option. The user has to supply the SS4 phantom power jack independent of the SS4's 9vac power supply (so I can tap the Masterminds 12vdc through to it no problem) which can be routed across DIN pins 6-7.

But I have a real aversion to SMP's in my rigs (such as the comes with the Mastermind). So if I could go the iron from a 9vac to power the GT22, I'd prefer that to needing to build an iron-based 12vdc supply, which would probably mean a 40-50va winding, and a bunch of annoying parts.

This all a bit embarrassing considering I have an early production run GT22 in the shiny gloss black powder-coat, but am actually going to put it into a permanently fixed rig after buying it new eons ago.

Cheers

Chris.

Wow, yeah, there were only 25 GTs with the glossier paint.

Yes, the GT can handle 9VAC. It has a rectifier and does all of the needed voltage regulation internally. Just make sure that your supply can provide enough current. 9VAC / 2A is enough for the GT, as long as you use a good MIDI cable. We use two wires on each phantom power pin to make sure that there's not too much voltage drop down the length of the cable. More voltage drop = the GT draws more current to compensate.

Thankyou Ron.

So 9vac is fine via phantom down the MIDI cable, or via the main power jack?

Cheers

Chris.

P.S Sorry about the slow reply.

Hi Ron,

Dredging this old one up. Just received a 6-to-6pin XLR cable from you guys for my second 22. I have another cable in the older Grey format. Will it still have the doubled-up cores on the phantom power pins? It's the same grey cable that come with the Amp Gizmo adaptors.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Ron,

Dredging this old one up. Just received a 6-to-6pin XLR cable from you guys for my second 22. I have another cable in the older Grey format. Will it still have the doubled-up cores on the phantom power pins? It's the same grey cable that come with the Amp Gizmo adaptors.

Cheers

Chris

I'm not sure. If the cable is less than 25 feet, it doesn't need to be doubled up (and we don't build them that way). But, if it's old enough to use the gray cable, it might be single conductors even if it's more than 25 feet. You could have a look inside the connectors if you're curious. The back screws off of the rest of the connector.

Back