H9 Preset: I think something is missing

George

If there is one thing I know, its that learning MIDI and its intricacies is a humbling experience. I have been studying the Mastermind Series videos and I'm stumped. Following Rons instructions from "Basic Preset Editing | Episode 5" I set up exactly how he had set up the "Clean" preset for the H9 and damned if I can't get the Preset to "talk" to my H9...is there something I'm not including that wasn't covered in the video but needs to be included in order to load that H9 #5 preset?, like a preset or button action...I have 5 presets in my H9 so instead of 7 as he chose I used 5 and I set the global to reload a button after pressing.

George/Keoki

Looking at the settings, it looks like switching between presets 1 and 3 on the Mastermind should switch between presets 5 and 1 on the H9. Sounds like it's not doing that.

I don't see any issues with the Mastermind configuration, so the problem is likely outside of it, Make sure the H9 is set to MIDI channel 2 (can be configured using H9 Control). If the Timeline is in between the PBC and H9 in the MIDI chain, make sure that MIDITH is set to Merge in the Timeline's settings, otherwise it won't pass MIDI commands.

The H9 is getting the direct DIN feed from the Mastermind, the other two Devices are "fictitious" . Went through H9 prior to exporting file, looked okay. I'll check. Couple of ideas

Looking at the settings, it looks like switching between presets 1 and 3 on the Mastermind should switch between presets 5 and 1 on the H9. Sounds like it's not doing that.

I don't see any issues with the Mastermind configuration, so the problem is likely outside of it, Make sure the H9 is set to MIDI channel 2 (can be configured using H9 Control). If the Timeline is in between the PBC and H9 in the MIDI chain, make sure that MIDITH is set to Merge in the Timeline's settings, otherwise it won't pass MIDI commands.

Hallelujah!!!

Ron, sometimes it's the simplest things. I've been working on programming the H9 and the PBC/6X simultaneously via separate USB cords linked to my Mac and PowerBook through a powered 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub. Out of the blue I decided to disconnect the USB Mini B cord from the H9...Et Voila!! PBC/6X is running the H9 hot and true!!

I will say that Eventide cautioned people about USB and Bluetooth interfering with one another but I guess the H9 simply doesn't behave when the USB cord is attached; by behave I mean the H9 MIDI IN channel wont allow communications from the PBC/6X. I'll have to drop a line to Joe Cozzi over at Eventide and see if thats something they know about. It's certainly nothing they have in print.

OFFICIAL RETRACTION: They do indeed know about this and it IS in print, see my response below…Doh!

Okay then, on with the exploration!!
Keoki/George

Last edited:
I ran into this with my H9. I believe it can receive MIDI over USB or 5-pin MIDI cable, but having USB plugged in causes it to ignore the 5-pin MIDI input. So I believe it’s a known issue at Eventide, but I’m curious to know if you hear differently from them.

I ran into this with my H9. I believe it can receive MIDI over USB or 5-pin MIDI cable, but having USB plugged in causes it to ignore the 5-pin MIDI input. So I believe it’s a known issue at Eventide, but I’m curious to know if you hear differently from them.
Josh, My favorite person over their is Joe Cozzi, a tremendous help and asset for all things (of mine) Eventide…as Joe pointed out to me…(circled in red no less) 1638130416693.jpeg

Back