H9 Tuner Issues

Andrealoud

Hi,

Recently bought an RJM Two Button External Switch and am trying to set it up to turn my H9 tuner on and off. It works great when I press the switch the first time, button lights up and H9 shows Tuner. 2nd press of the button does nothing except turn off the light. H9 still shows Tuner. Do I need to add a 2nd action to the Button Setting in order to have it turn off? Or do I just set an 2nd action to have the switch change to a different preset? Actually tried both of those methods but they don't seem to work either.

Basically I want to engage the Tuner on 1st press and then turn it off on the 2nd press. Happy to have everything to go back to it's previous sate on 2nd press, just can't make it happen.

Thanks in advance,
a

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 10.04.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 10.04.41 AM.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 10.05.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 10.05.46 AM.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 2
The settings seem correct. You may have to ask Eventide about this, or if you have a computer you could use to send CC 65 to the pedal you could test and verify to see if it's the LT or H9 that's causing the problem.

Working now for RJM Mastermind LT.

Ext Func switch set to Global

PC Number (Off): Prev

PC Number (On): 124

Midi signal flow light just went on for me.

Thanks!

Interesting... So when you turn off the tuner the Prev value forces it to send the last PC again to reload the preset. Good idea! I have to wonder if there's a bug in the H9 where turning the tuner off doesn't work, and sending a PC is the only way to dismiss it.

Eventide suggested it to me. I wasn't sure how to persuade the LT to program a "switch that sends a high value when pressed and a low value when released."

Full response below:

"This is a common problem. The H9 expects a CC value greater than 63 to enable the tuner, but then expects it to go to a low value before it is triggered again. In effect it expects a switch that sends a high value when pressed and a low value when released.

You may be able to persuade your RJM to do this.

But, if not, use Program Change. One send can enable the Tuner, the next can take you back to where you were before. Or, somewhere else."

Ok, what they're asking for is what we would call a momentary button. Turn on Momentary and the button will send the On value when pressed and the Off value when released.

The way you're doing it is better, though. A function controlled by a momentary button has a problem in that it can't specify whether something turns on or turns off, each button press will change from on to off or off to on, depending on what state it was in the first place.

Hello revisting an old thread here..

I was able to add the H9 in my tuning preset but the H9 wants two button taps to enable and de-enable the the tuner. Can I make it respond to a single tap for enable and de-enable? I'm setting up this additional action on the preset button FYI. MM LT unit that I love!

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 3.25.53 PM.png

It should only need one CC message. Which function in the H9 have you assigned CC#19 to?

Thanks so much for responding and the great products and support too. CC#19 is set to Toggle Tuning on the H9 mapping.

If you keep selecting the same preset, does the tuner keep toggling on and off? Or does it stay in one state?

Thanks for responding. Yes the H9 will toggle tuning on and off but it takes two button clicks for each consecutive state. I think this is a H9 flaw because others are are reporting like results when using midi to control their H9s. I'm wondering because of your deep midi saavy, that you might have a workaround?

The H9 also won't allow high and low speed rotary selections after you enable "Tap Tempo" I can still tap tempo directly on the H9 app, but as soon as I enable the midi CC for Tap Tempo on the H9, the rotary high and low speed controls via midi stop functioning. I would only use tap tempo for delays and not rotary efx. I have midi clock "off" on the H9 but I suspect this is some kind of midi clock snag. Per your sage instruction manual advice, I have also deselected "send redundant PC messages" as these nick the H9 outputs recalling like PCs.

If I can suss the primal early Sysex for my lovely TC 2290, I can then get tap tempo delays out of that device instead. But that's, as they say, another story!

These are all minor issues to work out if possible. But I REALLY like the LT! This forum is yet another reason why I do.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. Yes the H9 will toggle tuning on and off but it takes two button clicks for each consecutive state. I think this is a H9 flaw because others are are reporting like results when using midi to control their H9s. I'm wondering because of your deep midi saavy, that you might have a workaround?

The H9 also won't allow high and low speed rotary selections after you enable "Tap Tempo" I can still tap tempo directly on the H9 app, but as soon as I enable the midi CC for Tap Tempo on the H9, the rotary high and low speed controls via midi stop functioning. I would only use tap tempo for delays and not rotary efx. I have midi clock "off" on the H9 but I suspect this is some kind of midi clock snag. Per your sage instruction manual advice, I have also deselected "send redundant PC messages" as these nick the H9 outputs recalling like PCs.

If I can suss the primal early Sysex for my lovely TC 2290, I can then get tap tempo delays out of that device instead. But that's, as they say, another story!

These are all minor issues to work out if possible. But I REALLY like the LT! This forum is yet another reason why I do.
Ok, I see what they're doing, and it's unfortunate that they have it set up the way they do. You can turn on the Momentary switch on the button that controls the tuner. This will make the button turn on when you press it and turn off when you release it.

The H9 question I'm going to have to refer to Eventide, that seems like an internal H9 issue.

So based on helpful input and the H9 limitations, I've reworked my tuning setup. Rather than placing my TUNE/CLEAN sound toggle on the first Bank button with an Alternate preset, I have instead put the TUNE function on the first IA button and now both my TC-2290 and the H9 are playing nice together. I even finessed the Off button settings to Prev so when I escape the tuning mode, I'm back to where I was. This works a treat and I can TUNE from anywhere in my Banks!

However, I still have to tap the Function button on the LT to see the Bank I'm actually returned to. I tried setting up and additional action for System but I'm not seeing Bank page control there but only Page. That only includes UP, Down and Prev.

Can I work up some type of added action that when I escape TUNE, I not only return to the previous PC, but would also deselect the Function button too? And save that extra button tap? I'd be in Pig Heaven then!

Last edited:
So based on helpful input and the H9 limitations, I've reworked my tuning setup. Rather than placing my TUNE/CLEAN sound toggle on the first Bank button with an Alternate preset, I have instead put the TUNE function on the first IA button and now both my TC-2290 and the H9 are playing nice together. I even finessed the Off button settings to Prev so when I escape the tuning mode, I'm back to where I was. This works a treat and I can TUNE from anywhere in my Banks!

However, I still have to tap the Function button on the LT to see the Bank I'm actually returned to. I tried setting up and additional action for System but I'm not seeing Bank page control there but only Page. That only includes UP, Down and Prev.

Can I work up some type of added action that when I escape TUNE, I not only return to the previous PC, but would also deselect the Function button too? And save that extra button tap? I'd be in Pig Heaven then!
How is your IA button programmed? If you just have a System / Tuner action on it, it shouldn't affect the currently selected preset and bank, so you should automatically return to where you were. If your tuner button is on a different page, you could add a System / Page action to have it switch back to the bank/preset page when the tuner button is deselected.

Thanks again for all your help! When I exit the TUNE IA, I'm back to my previous preset but the display on the LT is still in Page 2 IA/FN until I tap Function again. Can I add a action to replace that last Function tap in order to see the Bank I was on before I hit the Function/Tune (IA 1) routine?

Here's my screenshot of that Tune IAScreen Shot 2023-03-03 at 3.43.55 PM.png

Ok, this should work:

Edit a Macro in the macros tab. It needs to have one action: System / Page page:1. Turn on the "Force State to:" checkbox and set the value to "On". Let's say you do this for the first macro, macro #0.

Now, on your TUNE button, add this action to the button, at the end of the list: System / Macro off:0 on:None. This will trigger the macro to change pages back to page 1 when you turn off the TUNE button.

This works great!! Super elegant tuning regime now. Thank you!

I must say that you take such pride in your amazing products and support. You are one the things right in our world today. I can't speak highly enough about your fine efforts. Somebody taught you very well my friend.

I will continue to reccommend RJM to my peers!

Back