Help Choosing a Midi Interface

Hey everyone, I need to buy a Midi Interface so I can install firmware updates on my Mastermind and my G-Major 2. I don't need anything fancy. Just something affordable that works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

JB

NOT an M-Audio Uno. I have had some trouble with them when sending a lot of data (like a firmware update).

(I use an Emu 2x2 for updates now)

I have an old ESI MIDImate that works fine for this. It was VERY cheap. I've not had any trouble with my Uno either, but I'd follow Ron's advice on that one. The other small MIDI interface I've used is the E-MU Xmidi 1x1, although I've not tried that with either the Mastermind or the G Major II.

Cool, thanks guys. Hey Martin, I've been playing around with my G-Major 2 and have found the tracking on the pitch block to be horrid. Especially the octaver and diatonic algorithms. Did you have any trouble with these? Is this something that might be fixed when I update the firmware? They're completely unusable at this point.

I've had the latest firmware installed from the outset, and I've not noticed any real tracking issues, although I don't use the pitch shifter a whole lot, except for octave up shimmer and detune. I couldn't say for certain that updating the firmware will solve the problem, but it's certainly worth a go. I'd also ensure your gain structure is right - too much or too little level hitting any kind of digital pitch shifter can really screw it up.

I've had a hard time setting my levels bc I'm only playing quietly in my house right now. I definitely don't have a lot of signal coming through on the input meter. It never comes close to topping out. Perhaps that's the problem. I think I still have a lot to figure out on this thing.

I have an Axe fx 2, can i use it as MIDI interface to update my mastermind? how should i connect it to the axe fx?

Back