Help Setting up Kemper Profiler & Axe FX II XL with RJM Mastermind GT16

swatman

I use a Kemper Profiler as my main amp, and recently picked up an RJM Mastermind GT16 and an AXE FX II XL because I want to use the Axe in the effects loop of the Kemper as an effects processor because I prefer the Axe's effects. I want to run a setup to my RJM Mastermind GT16 to process all of that. I want to set up the Mastermind based on:

Song 1:
Mastermind Row 1 block 1: Kemper: Clean Mastermind row 2 block 1: Axe FX Preset 0 Scene 1
Mastermind Row 1 block 2: Kemper: Crunch Mastermind row 2 block 2: Axe FX Preset 0 Scene 2
Mastermind Row 1 block 3: Kemper: Rhythm Mastermind row 2 block 3: Axe FX Preset 0 Scene 3
Mastermind Row 1 block 4: Kemper: Solo Mastermind row 2 block 4: Axe FX Preset 0 Scene 4

Next Page:
Song 2:
Mastermind Row 1 block 1: Kemper: Clean Mastermind row 2 block 1: Axe FX Preset 1 Scene 1
Mastermind Row 1 block 2: Kemper: Crunch Mastermind row 2 block 2: Axe FX Preset 1 Scene 2
Mastermind Row 1 block 3: Kemper: Rhythm Mastermind row 2 block 3: Axe FX Preset 1 Scene 3
Mastermind Row 1 block 4: Kemper: Solo Mastermind row 2 block 4: Axe FX Preset 1 Scene 4

etc

How Difficult is this? I am brand new to MIDI so I am not sure what I am doing. I am currently doing: RJM Mastermind MIDI out ------ Phantom Power Adapter---- Midi out and in to kemper out and in.... Then Kemper thru ----- Axe FX II XL midi in.

Is this the proper setup for the midi out and in to Axe FX? So far I have been able to get the kemper amp to the RJM and have been able to setup my "Kemper Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, Solo", but I want it setup so that the Axe FX scenes are on the second row of screens when my bottom row shows "clean, crunch, rhythm, solo". I am not sure if the RJM is reading the AXE FX correctly because I am not sure if I have the wiring setup correctly for it. Any help would be amazing.

So I got the scenes in the second row where I wanted them, however when i click scene changes the scenes on my axe FX do not change.

Here is what my settings currently look like on MMGT

kemper.pngAxe.pngMMGT.png

I want the "Clean VH4" linked to Preset 1 Scene 1 on my Axe. I want "crunch" linked to Preset 1 Scene 2, etc. Both Clean VH4 and Crunch are connected to my Kemper Presets. Now currently, It is doing that correctly:

Clean VH 4 Kemper = Preset 1 Scene 1 Axe FX
Crunch Kemper = Preset 1 Scene 2 Axe FX
Rhythm Kemper = Preset 1 Scene 3 Axe FX

here is where it gets dicy and im not sure why or how to fix....
Lead Kemper = Preset 4 Scene 1 Axe FX
Solo Kemper = Preset 5 scene 1 Axe FX

Ok, you need some more setup.

Edit each of the Scene buttons, turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change. Also set Group to 1 for each button. Turn off any other checkboxes that might be on. These settings will allow you to select one scene at a time, and save that selection to the current preset.

First, go into the Presets tab, select your first preset, then go over to the Axe-Fx II XL box, and edit the PC number to be 1. Do this for each GT preset - edit its PC number, and set it to the number of the Axe-Fx preset you want to be selected.

Then, in the IA buttons section of the Presets tab, select the scene you want to have up for each preset. For example, select Preset 1, then click the Scene 1 button (on the editor screen) to light it up. Repeat this for each preset.

Send this file down to your GT and it should start controlling the Axe-Fx.

I followed the instructions, the scenes change with the presets within the mastermind, however they do not change in the axe fx. I must be missing a step

So if I go into my mastermind and change a preset to another axe FX program #, it changes the axe fx preset as well as the kemper preset. I just cant seem to get the scenes to change on one preset :(

Try turning on Send Redundant PCs in the Editor's Devices tab (under the Axe-Fx device).

That did not seem to fix it. Do you think it is something in the Axe units settings? I feel like we are so close.

According to your picture, the Axe-Fx is set to channel 1. Fix that and it should start working.

yeah i switched the axe unit and the midi within the RJM editor back to channel 1 because that is what the axe fx manual said to do. After doing that I changed the kemper back to channel 2. I tried that to see if it would fix the issue and it seems to still be the same issue that the scene changed in the Mastermind but it just refuses to change on the axe unit itself. im not sure what I am doing wrong and it is pretty frustrating as a first time midi user.

The strange thing about it is every other button for the axe inside the mastermind works: stomp boxes, chorus, drive, flanger, synth, scene bank up (goes from scene 1 to 8), scene bank down (goes from scene 8 to 1). The only thing that does not work at all is the scene change. My mind is boggled.

I am not home the rest of the night but tomorrow morning I will post my new settings file and maybe youll be able to see something I am doing wrong.

Another thing to check in the Axe-Fx settings is the MIDI CC number for scene change. It's supposed to be set to 34, but it's user editable. If it was changed to something other than 34, scenes would not change.

Ok, one more thing (assuming that the CC number is set correctly in the Axe-Fx per my last message).

On the Globals tab, go to the Group Settings section at the bottom. Select Group 1, and turn off "Send Off Messages".

Back