Help with incorporating HX Stomp with RJM PBC 6X

Jotovibe

I've decided to incorporate an HX Stomp into my rig to use along with pedals and my 6X. I would like to use it for mostly FX ( but maybe a few amp sims as well) from the Stomp via MIDI in my 6X presets for different songs. I did do a search before posting but I'm not sure I found an easy way to do this. I see some people putting the RJM in the FX loop of the stomp. I want to use time based FX in my Amp's FX loop but also be able to use fuzzes, drives, and some amp sims with my pedals. I am sure this is a learning process that will be worth it in the end. Also what types of MIDI cable do I need for the RJM to control the HX stomp?

All you need is a standard 5-pin MIDI cable from PBC to HX Stomp.

There are a few ways you can do it, but the most versatile would be to treat the stomp as 2 pedals. Input & loop send is one pedal, loop return and output is another. Each one connects to a PBC loop. Then, the PBC's insert loop connects to the amp's input and loop send. The PBC's main output then connects to the amp's loop return. This gives you full flexibility in moving effects around and combining analog and HX effects.

There are a few ways you can do it, but the most versatile would be to treat the stomp as 2 pedals. Input & loop send is one pedal, loop return and output is another. Each one connects to a PBC loop. Then, the PBC's insert loop connects to the amp's input and loop send. The PBC's main output then connects to the amp's loop return. This gives you full flexibility in moving effects around and combining analog and HX effects.
When you say treat it as two pedals does it mean I will be able to put it in two places in the chain for amps and fx? I also have to have the midi cable in place no? I have very little experience with MIDI but I am eager to learn . Would I be controlling the unit via Midi? Once I have it hooked up is the roll of the PBC 6X just to select patches from the HX Stomp? I would do this through the MIDI page on the Computer So I would have to make up whatever patch then access that and place that in my chain via the 6X? Is there a video showing any of this? Sorry for all the questions thank you for your help!

Yes, most of the work goes on in the HX Stomp. You would create patches like you normally would. The role of the PBC/6X would be to switch the HX out of the signal path when not in use, and potentially to move it within your signal path. If I recall correctly, you can have it in two places in the signal path at the same time.

In addition to the audio connections above, you would need a MIDI connection from the PBC to the HX so that the PBC can select presets on the device.

Is this correct? I am assuming this will allow me to put the put the HX anywhere in the chain as well as putting fx pre or post as long as I have an FX loop block in my HX presets with FX assigned accordingly to where I want them?
IMG_1415.jpg

Yes, that should be correct. The FX Loop block needs to be enabled in all of your HX presets. Anything before the FX Loop block will be in loop 5, anything after will be in loop 6. The insert loop needs to be enabled in all of your PBC presets, and the insert loop represents your amp's preamp. Anything to the left of it will be in front of the amp, anything after will be in the loop.

Yes, that should be correct. The FX Loop block needs to be enabled in all of your HX presets. Anything before the FX Loop block will be in loop 5, anything after will be in loop 6. The insert loop needs to be enabled in all of your PBC presets, and the insert loop represents your amp's preamp. Anything to the left of it will be in front of the amp, anything after will be in the loop.
OK great Thank you . So to clarify if I just want to run time based fx from the HX ( dly, rvrb, chorus) in the loop of my amp I would put them after the FX block in the HX, enable the Insert loop on the PBC, and Enable loop 6 ? Loop 6 would always be at the end of the PBC chain after the Insert loop to keep the time based fx always in the amp fx loop ? Can you move the insert loop around like the other loops 1-6? Loop 5 can be drive pedals , amps etc before the pre was long as its before the insert loop ? If I want to use one of my analog pedals in the loop of my amp I would have to place that loop after the insert loop on the PBC?

Maybe it's easier to say what I would like to accomplish. 99% of the time I want all my time based FX from the HX to be in the loop of my Amp. I would also like to insert FX and amps form the HX to mix with my other pedals.

Sorry for all the questions I am new to this. Thank you for your patience!

Back