How I connect my rack effects into my RJM (full stereo model) effects gizmo?

Jakke27

Hi, this is my first rack gear connection so I don't know exactly how to do it the right way.

I try to build Landau/lukather/Huff kind of L.A sound rack rig but I only play in mono right now.

I have a Marshall JVM410H head and I think I'm gonna use it most with my rack effects. I have a Mesa JP-2C head too but just only one Mesa Recto Standard Oversized SL 4 x 12 cab so maybe I need to another guitar cab if I want to play one amp at a time (or even in stereo) but still have that capacity control and change between of those amps when I play. How's that gonna be done by the way? Do I need another cab too?

Main question is how I can do the best Landau/lukather L.A sound rack rig by using my marshall JVM410H + my rack effects and some pedals and how I connect those into my RJM Effect Gizmo properly?

Stuff and effects:

RJM Effect Gizmo Audio Loop Switcher (Full Stereo model) and
RJM Mastermind GT/22

I'm thinking about the following signal chain (if that works fine to me) and wonder how I'm gonna connect some of my effects into my JVM410H Fx loop via effects gizmo? Maybe it's smart to use a buffer in my rig too because I have so many effects on it. How do I connect that properly?

My effects that I try to use this signal chain and order is gonna be something like this:

1. Ernie Ball 6182 MVP Most Valuable Pedal
2. Dunlop John Petrucci Cry Baby Wah
3. DBX 160X Compressor
4. Fulltone That 80's Rack Chorus (TERC)
5. Tc Electronic Dreamscape pedal (My flanger & second chorus option)
6. Yamaha SPX906.
7. Eventide H3000 D/SE
8. Lexicon PCM 70 Digital Effects Processor
9. 2 x Lexicon PCM 42 Digital Delay Processors
10. Tc Electronic 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay
11. Tc Electronic Flashback x4
12. Tc electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal

or like this:

1. DBX 160X Compressor
2. Ernie Ball 6182 MVP Most Valuable Pedal
3. Dunlop John Petrucci Cry Baby Wah
4. Fulltone That 80's Rack Chorus (TERC)
5. Tc Electronic Dreamscape pedal (My flanger & second chorus option)
6. 2 x Lexicon PCM 42 Digital Delay Processors
7. Tc Electronic 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay
8. Yamaha SPX90
9. Eventide H3000 D/SE
10. Lexicon PCM 70 Digital Effects Processor
11. Tc Electronic Flashback x4
12. Tc electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal

Big topic but If you any have time and patience to give me even one advice about those connections then that's gonna help me a lot.

Regards

Jakke

Last edited:
You are definitely going to need a second cab or at least a cab wired for stereo.

If you want to do an LA style rig, you would probably want to run some of the effects in parallel. Attached is an example diagram. Unfortuantely, we're no longer making the Mini Line Mixer. You'll need some kind of line mixer to do parallel routing, with at least one input for each effect you want to connect to it and an additional input for the dry signal.

Attachments

• EG_8Pedals_2Stereo_2Amp_Parallel.pdf
    479.6 KB · Views: 72
I have an MLC MarkL Custom Dual Stereo Line Mixer Mk I now. I think I have to mix, delays and reverb to get that LA sound I guess. Maybe chorus and detune too. Anyway I will focus on that later.

So, If I want to change between those amps while I play I still need a second cab if I don't want to wire my mesa cab for stereo?

Or what if I save some space and buy Mesa Boogie Head-Track so I can select between of those two amps and employ my only mesa cab and still share all the effects. Also it comes less expensive for me.

If I is even possible to use mesa boogie head-track with effect gizmo do I still need to connect all effects straight into effect gizmo or do I connect them straight into mesa head-track fx loop and then connect mesa head-track into loop of effect gizmo?

Last edited:
If you're switching between amps like that, the Head Track would be a good solution. It's made for that purpose.

If you used the Effect Gizmo with the Head Track, you would need to put the Effect Gizmo into the Head Track's loop. If you want some effects in front of the amp(s), you can use some of the Effect Gizmo loops to go into the Head Track input, then the rest of loops in the Head Track loop.

I still have a question. Do I need rjm mini amp gizmo to control the channels of my amps? My (JP-2C) works with midi and my (marshall jvm) works with regular footswitch jack

Last edited:
You definitely don't need a Mini Amp Gizmo for the Mesa. I thought the JVM also had MIDI?

Ok, good to know. Yes marshall jvm had that midi too. I've forgotten to mention that because at first I thought I would connect marshall with footswitch jack but If I can connect both with midi that's always better. Now my little project makes some steps forward and I start making some connections. I also have to ask do I have to connect them into midi in or midi thru? I guess no special cables needed. I'm just beginner of midi connections

MIDI Out of the MIDI controller goes to the MIDI In of the first device, MIDI Thru of the first device goes to MIDI In of the second device, and so on. Some devices don't have a MIDI Thru, but typically their MIDI Outs can be connected to the next device in the chain.

It seems that I can't connect all my effects separately in loops of my effect gizmo so maybe I need mini effect gizmo or rack gizmo too. I have more effects and I want to use them too.

Last edited:
Back