How to set up ANALOG TAP TEMPO

EVHGuy1111

Hello,

LOVING my RJM gear.

I'm using:
• Mini Effect Gizmo X
• Mastermind LT

I'm budgetting an addition to my rig and have been researching the tap tempo functions. The delay pedal I will be using:
• MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe

It's an all analog, bucket brigade pedal. It has a tap button on it but also allows for an expression pedal or external analog tap signal to be fed to it. This is perfect as I have all my pedals on the backline of my rig.

MY QUESTION:
I've been watching the Mastermind series and focussing on the "function switches" and "tap tempo" videos.

I'll be purchasing an American Loopers Aux Switch for this setup.

I am just a bit confused on the routing.

Do I rout the external aux switch to the MMLT, assign the buttons their functions then rout a TRS cable from the MEGX "FN SW" output to the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe?

Is this all I need to do (aside from LT editor programming of course)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do I rout the external aux switch to the MMLT, assign the buttons their functions then rout a TRS cable from the MEGX "FN SW" output to the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe?

Is this all I need to do (aside from LT editor programming of course)?

Thanks!

Yes, that's pretty much it.

What if I wanted to asign a button on my MMLT instead of using an external switch?

Would it be possible to set a cycle button to have:
• Menu access
• Tap Tempo

?

Or should I assign a hold secondary funtion to a button to initiate tap tempo?

Or are none of these ideas possible?

What if I wanted to asign a button on my MMLT instead of using an external switch?

Would it be possible to set a cycle button to have:
• Menu access
• Tap Tempo

?

Or should I assign a hold secondary funtion to a button to initiate tap tempo?

Or are none of these ideas possible?
You can use an internal button - they're equivalent to external buttons, except that internal buttons have multi-color LEDs.

Tap tempo can't be placed on an IA cycle button or hold function. You could have a hold function switch to a different button page that has a tap tempo button available, but that's the only way you can change the function of a button from tap tempo to something else (and vice-versa)

I'm trying to set up the TAP BUTTON to the internal switch on the MMLT to control an MXR (M292) Carbon Copy Deluxe (which has an analog tap jack) from the MMLT through the MEGX Function Jack port. It's not working.

I have:
• Set up the TAP BUTTON on the MMLT (global, flash/w tempo, Update State On Preset Change, Momentary, Action; Audio / FnSwitch #1 off:OFF, on:ON
• Set up the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe to receive external tap according to the MXR manual.
• Using a standard patch cable as the MXR calls for.

I tap on the MMLT and the tap BPM is set... but the tap LED on the MXR does not change and sync with the RJM equipment.

Have I set something up wrong?

That should be all that's required on the LT end. Does the function switch indicator on the screen show that it's changing when you tap? Do you hear a click from the relay?

That should be all that's required on the LT end. Does the function switch indicator on the screen show that it's changing when you tap? Do you hear a click from the relay?
I do not hear a click. The tap button I assigned on the MMLT does change LED tempo when I tap it… but I hear no click in the MEGX and the MMLT tap does not sync up with the MXR CCDELAY… or rather, the CCDELAY doesn’t sync its tap LED with the MMLT…

Ah, it's the MEGX's function jack. You're currently controlling the LT's function jack. You need to use this action instead:

MEGX:FnSw 1 / CC Toggle #102 off:0 on:127

OH WOW!

It's working now!

Was that info in any of the videos I watched? Did I miss it or is it something not often used so it wasn't in the videos/documentation?

It's probably never specifically mentioned, but you just have to pay attention to which device you're controlling. Both the LT and MEGX have function switches, so you need to specify which one it is you're controlling. Audio actions always affect the built-in hardware on the Mastermind and CC actions always affect devices connected to the Mastermind.

Back