HX Stomp Placement

AndyJ

Just wondering if you are using the HX Stomp for it's amp/cab modelling if it matters what loop it is put in? Is there preferential placement in Loop 7-10? I had a Mobius in loop 8 but will be replacing it with a HX Stomp soon. Currently have a Strymon Timeline in loop 9 and Strymon Big Sky in loop 10.

Thanks,
AJ

If you're going to be using its stereo output, then definitely it needs to be in loops 7-10. Otherwise, the placement should be based on how many pedals you think you'll want to have in front of it vs after it. Those are really the only two factors that matter, the loops are otherwise identical.

Definitely will be using it's stereo feature so yeah loop 7-10. I wasn't sure if I should place the HX Stomp in loop 10 (I guess I'm thinking the amp has to be at the end of the chain). But what I'm seeing you say is I could place it in loop 8 and keep my timeline in loop 9 and big sky in loop 10. In loops 1-6 I have wah, compression, OD pedals, boost.

The amp definitely doesn't need to be at the end. It's a matter of preference, but my recommendation is to put the delay and reverb after.

I was talking with a friend the other day about that pedal. Can you use the HX stomp in two loops of your PBC with its stereo send and returns? I haven't used the HX Stomp, but the Helix lets you create separate effects chains-completely isolated signal paths with separate inputs and outputs. Does the HX stomp have this same capability?

I was considering buying one if so. I would like to use the two signal paths at the front and backend of my board. Compression or pitch shifting when needed up front, and my second stereo amp out back.

I’m planning on using a stomp in 2 loops using the HXs effects loop to split my signal chain.
Please report back in your own post explaining how you do it. I'm still trying to come up with the most elegant solution to this idea. I also don't fully understand the DSP limitations of the HX Stomp. I'm wondering if I could use it as a whammy in front of my board, and then output the board in stereo into the HX Stomp's second signal chain with two stereo amp models. Will it handle that much DSP load?

I was going to put the Stomp before the PBC or in its first loop and then put the HX's effects loop into the PBS's loop 9 or 10.

After going through various routing options, I went with placing the HX Stomp in loop 7 on my PBC. Mono in, stereo out. Loops 8-10 are delay and reverb in stereo.

Using send and return on the HX Stomp seemed interesting at first, but you lose 1 of the 6 blocks. I play stereo with two amps and two IRs (highly recommend using IRs), which is already 4 blocks. Plus, the pedal needs to be on all the time, which means you cannot go true bypass if you place the HX Stomp in an insert loop or before the PBC.

I must say, I'm very happy with my setup! I change loop 7 to always on, when using the HX Stomp as amp simulator and already played a few gigs like this. Works perfectly fine with a stereo DI box after my board and got great feedback from the sound engineers. It's also great to show up at a show with public transportation and leave the stage within 5 minutes ;-) When using real amps, I use loop 7 like the other loops and mainly for modulation. I used a Mobius before with "pre" before the PBC and "post" in insert 5-6/7-10. Worked perfectly fine, but I really wanted a solution for an amp sim setup. The Mobius had a decent UniVibe sound, which I missed in the HX Stomp and I also lost the ability to place it before my drives. Enough reasons to buy me a Drybell Vibe machine and boy, this thing is the real deal :-D So much flexibility and you can truly dial in THAT Vibe sound. Works with humbuckers too and the vibrato setting is actually usable! Couldn't be happier. Only other pre effect for me is a Wah, which I use rarely and can always just bring a real Wah and place it before the board. And I'm not even mentioning the possibilities of the HX Stomp on its own...

Now I just need to figure out, how to set up my HX Stomp to change from using amp sims to only effects with keeping the same presets programmed in my PBC. My initial idea is to have snapshot 1 with amp sims and in snapshot 2 turned off. I then only need to change the snapshots on each preset used and save the preset (total up to 10 presets).
Any other ideas?

Back