I think my brand new Mastermind LT is broken.

EVHGuy1111

I just bought a Mastermind LT. I've been having a hell of a time working with it.

I've added my MEGX and my EVH515OIII 5Ow to the LT in the software. I have mapped the amp channels to presets...
Now I'm trying to build presets and assign them to buttons. I get a preset working but others I've assigned won't work. Then after writing changes to the LT several times I might get another preset I've assigned to a button to work and then all of a sudden I lose everything and my amp goes back to the clean channel... and any button on the LT I push doesn't work and the LT only stays on the 1 button. This keeps happening.

Is my LT or MEGX or both broken? I just purchased them last month.

It's unlikely a hardware issue, but it's possible. Please send me your LT settings file so I can see if it's a settings issue or not.

Here's the file.

I'll admit I'm still learning so sure, I may have some settings wonky or wrong. But the fact that I write settings to device and it works then after hitting a few buttons it locks up on the first button and sets my amp back to channel 1 is suspect.

Also: again, I am not able to get the pedals to work in the presets. They are assigned but they don't turn on, the amp channel changes but the pedals don't turn on even though I've set PCs for MEGX presets in the LT presets... but I can get the Wah to work, except once I hit the button assigned wah it won't turn off when I click other buttons (BLUE, GREEN, RED) which are supposed to be the "clean" (no effects) presets.

Maybe I've got everything backwards?

Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• RJM Mastermind LT 1 [O2.18.2O23].rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I don't have an LT in front of me, but right away I see that preset #1 has a local button page that's causing some or all of the problems.

If you go to the presets tab and select preset #1, notice that only the leftmost 2 buttons have any names on them. The other buttons are blank. But, if you go to any other preset, they all have names. This is because preset #1 has a local button page enabled, where it has a button configuration that's separate from any other preset. I suspect local page was inadvertently turned on, and only partially edited to add one preset button to it. (Local pages start out blank and you have to add buttons yourself).

Local button pages can be useful if you want your buttons to do different things on different presets. But, I don't think you were intending that.

So, you should turn off Local Page for preset #1 and the "lock up" issue should go away. If there are issues remaining after that, please let me know and we'll continue.

Oh wow... I may have accidentally hit that when I was trying to figure out why the presets wouldn't load pedals and when the wah pedal was loaded on the 4th button it would load the wah on the "clean" amp channels as well... but I still think I'll have issues even after I fix what you suggest.

But I will keep you updated. Thank you.

Okay... so that fixed the lockup issue. THANK YOU! And for some reason the wah issue has gone away. It now is only loading when I hit the WAH button on each page... GREAT!

But I am still not getting the WAH to load on the WAH presets (GREEN + WAH, BLUE + WAH, RED + WAH) or the Phase 9O to load on the phaser page (GREEN + PHASE 9O, BLUE + PHASE 9O, RED + PHASE 9O). I have 3 more pedals to load into presets and eventually want 10 pedals (split mono on 5 channels as I'm running 4-cable method through loop 3 right now. I have to get this all working before I even think about learning and setting up the playlist mode.

Here's the new project file to look at. I appreciate you helping me out when you get the chance.

THANK YOU!

Attachments

• RJM Mastermind LT 1 [O2.18.2O23].rjs
Adding actions to Preset buttons doesn't do what you think it does - when you press a Preset button normally, it only loads a preset, it does not run any of the IA actions. It'll only do that in certain cases (IA Mode, Send on Preset Change, etc.)

There are a couple of ways to make it work, but it depends on how you want it to work. My first question is: are you ever going to want a page (or pages) of buttons that directly control MEG X loops. For example, one button that only turns loop 1 on or off, one that only turns loop 2 on or off, etc. The answer to that question will determine the route we should take.

I don’t want buttons that only turn on MEGX loops.

What I’m looking to do is have 2 modes.

PRESET MODE : each preset consists of an amplifier channel and a MEGX loop preset that has 1 or more pedals on it. I’d like some presets to have a secondary momentary switch that will add an pedal to the existing preset (like an octave or harmonized pedal to the current amp and pedals preset) then turn off when the button is let off (if that’s possible as it seems it is by my research).

PLAYLIST MODE: playlists consisting of 1. Intro, 2. Verse, 3. Chorus, 4. Bridge/Solo/Outro that are made from presets used in the PRESET MODE.

I really have no need or desire to have any instant access buttons that act as single Pedal stomps from the MEGX.

I hope this answers your quest.

Based on that, what have I set up wrong? How am I thinking about this incorrectly? What is the best way to do what I want and resources to look into, or even a routing/preset example and a break down of how it works?

Thank you very much. I appreciate any advice. I love this product… I just want to learn it well and get the most out of it.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
There are a still a few ways to do it, but the easiest would be to program loops on the MEG itself. Select a preset on the LT, then use the front panel buttons to select which loops are on for that preset. Hold the Write button for 3 seconds to store. Repeat for each preset. This works fine if as long as you're not splitting loops. (There's no front panel button access for loops created by splitting loops 1-6).

If that's not sufficient, I recommend setting up instant access buttons, even if you're not going to use them for performance. You can set up a page or two of buttons for each loop on an unused page and program them to turn them on and off for each preset. In the long run, this ends up faster than adding actions to buttons or presets for every preset.

There are a still a few ways to do it, but the easiest would be to program loops on the MEG itself. Select a preset on the LT, then use the front panel buttons to select which loops are on for that preset. Hold the Write button for 3 seconds to store. Repeat for each preset. This works fine if as long as you're not splitting loops. (There's no front panel button access for loops created by splitting loops 1-6).

If that's not sufficient, I recommend setting up instant access buttons, even if you're not going to use them for performance. You can set up a page or two of buttons for each loop on an unused page and program them to turn them on and off for each preset. In the long run, this ends up faster than adding actions to buttons or presets for every preset.
Where do I turn them on and off for each preset? I’ve watched many mastermind videos and this part is confusing.

And, can the page with IA pedal buttons be in a different "mode" so I won't see them when banking through the "Preset Mode" or "Playlist Mode" and still be used to program presets?

IA Buttons are turned on and off in the Presets tab. Just select a preset on the left, and in the on-screen LT representation, click on the buttons to turn them on or off. You can have different settings for each preset.

Pages don't change by mode, but you can use use higher numbered pages that aren't accessed by any buttons you have defined.

For example, in a default LT configuration, the upper left button switches button pages. It has a Min and Max setting. If you are actually using pages 1-4, you could add your buttons to page 5. But set Max parameter on the Page Up button to 4. So, you will only be able to page up through pages 1 through 4, but page 5 will be there and will generate messages when you change presets. Be sure to set Max Page in Globals to 5 in this case. The system will completely ignore pages above that limit.

IA Buttons are turned on and off in the Presets tab. Just select a preset on the left, and in the on-screen LT representation, click on the buttons to turn them on or off. You can have different settings for each preset.
And I have to assign the button as an "IA button" on the Buttons tab I assume for both the amp channel/MEGX pedals presets I'm trying to create and the single pedal loops for creating presets? Then use those to create the presets? If that's it then I think I understand.

For example, in a default LT configuration, the upper left button switches button pages. It has a Min and Max setting. If you are actually using pages 1-4, you could add your buttons to page 5. But set Max parameter on the Page Up button to 4. So, you will only be able to page up through pages 1 through 4, but page 5 will be there and will generate messages when you change presets. Be sure to set Max Page in Globals to 5 in this case. The system will completely ignore pages above that limit.
Ah! I see. Clever on the max page trick.

The fastest way is to go to page 5 (or whatever page you want to use) in Buttons, then right-click on a button. Select Assign CC > MEG X > Loop 1. When it asks if you'd like to convert to Instant Access, answer yes. Repeat for each loop/button. You'll probably want to double click each button later so you can go in and edit colors and button names.

The fastest way is to go to page 5 (or whatever page you want to use) in Buttons, then right-click on a button. Select Assign CC > MEG X > Loop 1. When it asks if you'd like to convert to Instant Access, answer yes. Repeat for each loop/button. You'll probably want to double click each button later so you can go in and edit colors and button names.
Ah!

Lastly (since I don't have my rig and RJM software in front of me): when I go to assign those pedals from the buttons into presets on the preset tab I do that how?

I think this is going to solve my issues and get me learning this fantastic system!

Ah!

Lastly (since I don't have my rig and RJM software in front of me): when I go to assign those pedals from the buttons into presets on the preset tab I do that how?

I think this is going to solve my issues and get me learning this fantastic system!

Go to the Presets tab, select a preset on the left, then click the buttons on the "virtual LT" on the right to turn them on or off as desired. They'll change color to indicate whether they're on or off.

Go to the Presets tab, select a preset on the left, then click the buttons on the "virtual LT" on the right to turn them on or off as desired. They'll change color to indicate whether they're on or off.
OH!

My... I feel stupid. I think I saw something about that in one of the videos but I must have confused it with the Buttons tab.

I appreciate all your help. I'll report back once I've had a chance to sit down with this.

THANK YOU!

I set everything up and started building presets as I believe you described:

• MEGX: Loop 3 is amp Effects Loop routing. All pedals before Loop 3 are in front of the amp, alll pedals after Loop 3 are in the Amp Effects Loop.
• Global Max Page is set to 16.
• Set up IA loops on Page 15 (1. DUNLOP CryBaby | 2. MXR Phase 9O | 4. MXR Analog Chorus (Split Mono) | 5. MXR Reverb | 1O. EXH PitchFork)
• Page Down (Function, Top Left) has max pages set to 2 on both pages so I can't access the IA loops page on the LT hardware (only software).
• Created presets on the presets tab using amp channel MIDI commands and Page 15 IA buttons the pedal loops are assigned to.
• Created PRESET BUTTONS on page 1, 2, 3 then double-clicked each button, assigned colors and presets 1-12 (AMP, WAH, PHASE 9O, CHORUS respectively.

It is only half working.

I get amp channel changes as desired
I get the WAH on both pages. But the second page only has WAH on the channel I assigned it to, the Phase 9O (MEGX loop 2) is supposed to be on buttons 1,2,3 but nothing... just amp changes. Same for the Chorus page, amp changes and WAH added to the 4th button with amp change but nothing for the other buttons intended to have an amp change and Chorus effect (loop 4 of the MEGX).

I must be doing something wrong.

My current project files (I had to zip the MEGX project file).

Attachments

• MMLT Test.rjs
  • MEGX Test.zip
    3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Preset buttons are based on banks, not pages. If you're on the bank that includes presets 1-4, your preset buttons will access presets 1-4 no matter what page you're on. Only Bank Up and Bank Down buttons will change which presets your buttons access.

You can use IA buttons as fixed preset buttons, though. This is probably what you need.

This video goes over how presets and banks work together:
MIDI Controller Basics

This video shows how to create fixed preset buttons:
Fixed Preset Buttons

If you replace your preset buttons with this fixed preset IA buttons, it should start working more like you expect it to.

Preset buttons are based on banks, not pages. If you're on the bank that includes presets 1-4, your preset buttons will access presets 1-4 no matter what page you're on. Only Bank Up and Bank Down buttons will change which presets your buttons access.

You can use IA buttons as fixed preset buttons, though. This is probably what you need.

This video goes over how presets and banks work together:
MIDI Controller Basics

This video shows how to create fixed preset buttons:
Fixed Preset Buttons

If you replace your preset buttons with this fixed preset IA buttons, it should start working more like you expect it to.
Alright.

I have been looking to find what is the difference between banks and pages. Am I to understand the "BANK buttons shift presets?
Example: I have 4 preset buttons on the LT, BANK 1 will map the first 4 presets in the preset tab (1-4) to to the 4 preset buttons in the order they are labled, then hitting bank down will change the 4 buttons to the next 4 presets in the preset tab (5-6)? So those presets 5-8 may already be working and mapping the desired actions and loops... I'm just not accessing them properly by pushing page dow... I need to be using the banl buttons to navigate and call up the next set of presets to the buttons? If that's it I understand it now where I didn't before.

And I will check those videos out. Thank you.

Last edited:
I got it working properly! And now that I understand the difference between banks and pages and their relative uses I’m flying through learning this system.

Thank you for those relevant videos and all your help!

Back