Idea: save settings differently on computer than device

tandrewnichols

This is sort of related to my previous post (https://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/possible-feature-preset-aliases.5243/) in that it could be a way to address memory constraints but still provide more presets (I almost put this in that thread, but I figured it's technically a separate request/idea). I wondered if it would be possible to store more presets/songs/setlists locally (on your computer) than on the device itself. I admit there's a lot to figure out here, but if you could have, say 5000 presets (which would be roughly 5 per song), but only the first 768 got written on the device, you could keep more presets available than the device holds, and just shift them around as you need them (this is the part that's tricky cause what if a song on the device references a preset not on the device). So essentially, I think of it like a "library" feature. You've got a library of presets, and a certain number of them are actually on the device. I think the best solution would be working backward. You've got presets associated with songs and songs associated with setlists, so you start by building a setlist, and as you add songs, the presets for those songs are automatically pulled in to the list of on board presets.

The broader suggestion here though is to save the settings differently on the computer than on the device. Right now I believe the settings file that is generated by changes and written to your computer is identical to what's written to the device, but if the application itself had different settings and the device settings were derived from that (either as changes were made or right before performing a write), that would let you make the editor much more flexible. Off the top of my head, some things that could let you do:

1) Highlight presets in the list in different colors (maybe based on the type of effects), which would make certain sounds easier to find quickly.

2) Add tags or other "search criteria" so that if searching ever becomes a thing (please), you could add the songs it's used in or the devices active and search by those in addition to the name. It would be amazing to be able to search "My Song" and see just the presets used in "My Song" (yes, I know you can see them on the Songs page, but then if you want to see what each preset does, you have to go manually search them out in a potentially very long list) or to search by pedal name and see all presets using that pedal (or even a very specific setting on the pedal, like "Golden Boy King of Tone").

3) Add additional information to songs, things like speed (slow, fast), volume (loud, soft), style (ballad, rock), mood (sad, angry), etc. etc.

4) Use longer names than currently allowed. I have some songs with titles longer than allowed. I realize on the fly truncating could be . . . involved, but it would be nice to be able to use the full names of things.

Obviously in all those examples, that additional information doesn't need to be written to the device itself as it's not particularly useful outside of the editor.

Last edited:
Back