Introducing the Overture!

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very happy to announce our first effect pedal: the Overture.

Features include:
  • 100% analog signal path
  • 6 overdrive modes (Clean Boost, Classic, Boutique, Versatile, Smooth, Crunch)
  • Pre-boost circuit with up to 12dB available boost
  • 8 user-programmable presets (100 when used with a MIDI controller)
  • Comprehensive MIDI capabilities
  • 5-pin MIDI In and Output jacks
  • USB-C connector for direct connection to a computer
This has been my "quarantine project" that I've worked on for the past year. I've wanted to do something like this for a very long time, and I'm happy I waited - I can do a much better job now that I could have, say, 10 years ago.

Anyway, the intention is for this one to be the first of many, but I think we're off to a good start.

You can find more details on our main website. We're taking pre-orders now and should be shipping by March 1st.

Last edited:
This sounds fantastic Ron. I especially like the fact that you haven't gone for Midi over TRS.

Anyway, the intention is for this one to be the first of many, but I think we're off to a good start.

Awesome. I would love to see an analog 3 band Parametric EQ pedal in this format.

This sounds fantastic Ron. I especially like the fact that you haven't gone for Midi over TRS.

Awesome. I would love to see an analog 3 band Parametric EQ pedal in this format.

I really dislike MIDI over TRS. I can see why people use it, but it's not going to show up in my pedals! As we make more pedals, we will take advantage of the fact that the DIN connectors are set up to be bidirectional.

I really dislike MIDI over TRS. I can see why people use it, but it's not going to show up in my pedals! As we make more pedals, we will take advantage of the fact that the DIN connectors are set up to be bidirectional

Great to hear. I think the Midi over TRS trend in some recent pedals has a big trade off in that the player then has to get a DIN to TRS box which ends up being pretty expensive compared to just adding a simple Midi cable to the chain.

This is a really exciting overdrive, something I didn't think I'd say in 2021 with a market saturated 6 times over. The 5 pin MIDI control is awesome progress. Quick question about the pending editor software: will there be any more control over hidden parameters (ex. mid EQ, sag, blend, etc) in the editor, or will it be more for preset naming and organization?

Yeah, there are an awful lot of pedals out there, but I feel we have something different to offer. We'll see how it goes! The few who have tried one have really liked it so far.

There are some possibilities for additional parameters. Not many, but there are a few. There aren't any entirely new hidden features per se. If I had put in a specific circuit for mid EQ or blending, I definitely would not have hidden it. But, there are some other things in the circuit that can be adjusted, largely the things that differentiate one mode from another. Messing with them would allow the modes to be customized further.

Any low level tweaking probably won't be available in the early editor versions, but may well show up later.

I'm glad you left some deep parameters adjustable.
Saw the demo video and it wasn't clear to me if the pre-boost is full range flat "clean" or slightly midrange-tailored "clean", or perhaps it's tweakable via a trimpot or CC / sysex?
At any rate - Ordered mine- I'm so looking forward to incorporating it into my rig! Congrats!

ps- that unpainted silver Overture looks way too cool!!!

I just got mine yesterday and started messing around with it. The implementation of the expression volume control is brilliant!!
I registered for the forum just to say that.

I just got mine yesterday and started messing around with it. The implementation of the expression volume control is brilliant!!
I registered for the forum just to say that.

Thanks very much! We haven't talked about the expression features much yet, but I'm glad to hear they're working out for you.

I just took the plunge on a PBC 6X and will be traversing the learning curve next week! My pre-planning had me figuring out which drive pedals I could live without. The Overture just might cures some of my decision-fatigue! Will be checking the video out this afternoon.

So I've had a couple weeks with the Overture since my post above and I'm still loving it and wanted to elaborate a bit. I'm a praise & worship leader, singing and playing electric most of the time. And because I'm up in Ontario, Canada, our COVID vaccinations and situation in general aren't great (still!) and we're limited in the number of people we can have. I'll sometimes cover acoustic as well with a PRS SE Hollowbody Piezo. I'm sending the acoustic signal through an HX Stomp, and the electric signal to my "main" board which now includes the Overture. I've got both the Overture and Stomp MIDI-controlled by Ableton, and it's fantastic for that. I've got Ableton muting or unmuting the Stomp or the Overture to switch between acoustic, electric, or both, and I don't have to worry about tap-dancing and can focus on singing and leading.

I can't wait to see what else you guys do with this pedal and the editor!

Great! I like to hear how it's starting to be used out there in the real world. The editor should be available some time this summer, I've got to get the Mini Effect Gizmo X out first, but a lot of the work I'm putting into its editor will apply to the Overture editor as well, making it easier to complete (I hope!)

What kinds of things will the editor do? Copy, rearrange, and share presets? Can you share any of that info or does it have to wait for the "official" release?

It'll be pretty basic at first. Preset naming, editing, rearranging and backup. Also editing things like CC number assignments. I do want to have online preset sharing and that kind of stuff, but that will have to come later. In the initial release, there should at least be some way to save presets as files so you can send them to others.

I own a ton of Distortion/OD pedals and this is my favorite after decades of collecting. I thought I'd try it out on a small pedal board, but now I have to get a second one and redo my main rig. It's that good. Looking forward to the editor so I can copy over my presets to the additional Overture. Outstanding work, Ron.

Back