Introducing the Overture!

I own a ton of Distortion/OD pedals and this is my favorite after decades of collecting. I thought I'd try it out on a small pedal board, but now I have to get a second one and redo my main rig. It's that good. Looking forward to the editor so I can copy over my presets to the additional Overture. Outstanding work, Ron.
That's great to hear!

The editor is a bit delayed, but I should be able to begin working on it in earnest in a week or two. It'll be based on the Mini Effect Gizmo X editor, so the majority of it is already completed.

Hi Ron, I'd like to learn more about using an expression pedal with Overture. I can see in the MMGT that I can choose the different parameters in Overture in the Preset Actions menu, but I can't find any info about assigning an expression pedal to a specific Heel or Toe position. I'd like to try to adjust the Drive amount on the fly. If there are any videos of documentation please let me know.

Thanks! I now have 2 of these awesome pedals. : )

If you always want to assign it to Drive, then in expression pedal settings on the GT, do the following: Set Device to Overture and CC to Drive. Set min value and max value to the range you'd like. Min value is the drive level for the heel down position, and max value is the drive level for toe down position. Set the values to a number between 0 and 127, where 0 is drive all the way down and 127 is drive all the way up.

If you always want to assign it to Drive, then in expression pedal settings on the GT, do the following: Set Device to Overture and CC to Drive. Set min value and max value to the range you'd like. Min value is the drive level for the heel down position, and max value is the drive level for toe down position. Set the values to a number between 0 and 127, where 0 is drive all the way down and 127 is drive all the way up.
Thanks Ron! I'm looking forward to trying this.

Is it possible to move the pedal in the Heel direction reducing the drive level but also ADD some volume while traveling to the Heel position?
I don't believe "Position Switch Actions" is for continuous controllers, so maybe having the minimum value higher than the maximum value would act as inverting the 2nd device parameter(?)

Also, if I adjust the drive level with an expression pedal, will "saving" save the edited drive level relative to the current pedal position?
Thanks!

Yes, you can invert the min and max values to have a parameter work backwards compared to the pedal travel. You can have the first CC control drive and the second CC control volume, no problem.

Any changes made by expression pedal are not saved when saving a preset. It saves based on knob positions only.

Yes, you can invert the min and max values to have a parameter work backwards compared to the pedal travel. You can have the first CC control drive and the second CC control volume, no problem.

Any changes made by expression pedal are not saved when saving a preset. It saves based on knob positions only.
Excellent information. (I thought for sure presets would save as edited by the pedal. I’m glad I asked).
Thanks Ron!

Can the overture be used to send midi program changes to other devices?
It's not something it does right now, but that will probably be added in a future firmware release. Especially when we have more than one pedal model, it would be cool to link them together into a minimal switching system.

It's not something it does right now, but that will probably be added in a future firmware release. Especially when we have more than one pedal model, it would be cool to link them together into a minimal switching system.
It would be great for a minimal switching system. I could link it to a midi delay on a very small and powerful programmable two pedal board.

This sounds fantastic Ron. I especially like the fact that you haven't gone for Midi over TRS.

Awesome. I would love to see an analog 3 band Parametric EQ pedal in this format.
Empress' ParaEQ has just what you are looking for, and I still am. They are no longer made so there is indeed a "void" that needs to be filled by a good MIDI EQ along those lines. I like my Free the Tone but there is something about being able to target which frequency/band to center on. However, not exactly a pedal the masses would want.

Awaiting delivery with great anticipation! I’m new to the RJM products but I now have the Effects Gizmo, Mastermind GT-10 and Overture so I guess I’m knee deep in it now. Learning midi as I go and have been successful setting up a KHE Amp Switcher with some Rocktron products so I’m hoping it gets a little more intuitive now with the RJM stuff. Thanks!

The Overture has been a real game changer on my MIDI pedalboard. Any shade of overdrive needed for a particular patch, saved, and coupled with MIDI-based EQ, modulation, delay and reverb. A bit of a learning curve getting everything to dance and sing together, but easily well worth it. And the Overture and Amps are really the heart of the tone. Many thanks for your hard work on making this happen, Ron.

The Overture has been a real game changer on my MIDI pedalboard. Any shade of overdrive needed for a particular patch, saved, and coupled with MIDI-based EQ, modulation, delay and reverb. A bit of a learning curve getting everything to dance and sing together, but easily well worth it. And the Overture and Amps are really the heart of the tone. Many thanks for your hard work on making this happen, Ron.
You're welcome! I've always wanted to do a pedal like that, I'm glad to hear that people are finding it useful.

Thanks for the purchase! I hope you love it!
Oh my! The Overture showed up today and I sit down with it to get familiar, what a great pedal! I didn’t tweak anything just enjoyed playing through a piece that you weren’t constantly looking for something else, or more of one thing. I own an insane amount of drive pedals but the Overture will be my main drive pedal going forward. I am new to midi and RJM but I am moving forward with the GT-10, Effects Gizmo and the Overture, enough to keep me busy for a while. Thanks Ron!

Oh my! The Overture showed up today and I sit down with it to get familiar, what a great pedal! I didn’t tweak anything just enjoyed playing through a piece that you weren’t constantly looking for something else, or more of one thing. I own an insane amount of drive pedals but the Overture will be my main drive pedal going forward. I am new to midi and RJM but I am moving forward with the GT-10, Effects Gizmo and the Overture, enough to keep me busy for a while. Thanks Ron!
Thank you!!!

How is the editor coming along?
About 90% done at this point. I ran into holiday related delays and now end of year stuff like inventory and taxes are competing for my time, but I do get to work on it here and there. This week is pretty much lost at this point, but I'm hoping to get it to the finish line, or at least close, next week. Mac & PC versions will come out first. iPad will be a week or two later because it requires additional work to get it converted and into the App Store.

Back