Issues with sending MIDI commands on preset changes

JES

Happy new year everyone.

I'm having some issues with the PBC6X sending MIDI commands on preset changes.

I'm controlling an Eventide H9 and a Source Audio Ventris from the PBC6X.

I have assigned a footswitch on the PBC to control the bypass on the H9, and the bypass and 2nd engine on the Ventris. (also the h9 hot switch but let's ignore that for now).

The footswitches all work fine and as expected: click once turns on a function, a second time turns it off.

But when I switch presets on the PBC 6x, the footswitch messages I've set up somehow get lost. So I can manually turn on or off the H9 and Ventris with the PBC, but I can't do it with a switch of presets, which is of course where I want to get to. Any tips? Do I need to somehow slow down the MIDI messages? I do notice that the H9 "active" button flashes, so it's hearing something, but maybe not long enough or not in the right sequence?

My settings file is attached in case it helps.

TIA!

PS -- I found an error in the setup for the Ventris on the RJM. CC #50 needs. value of 0, 1, 2, or 3 depending on what you want to happen. Not 127. I fixed it but you might want to update that in the next update. https://www.sourceaudio.net/uploads/1/1/5/1/115104065/ventris_dual_reverb_midi_implementation.pdf

Also, I learned CC #97 is hold, though it's not listed in their MIDI spec (error on their end).

Attachments

• PBC-1-Jan-2021.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
A couple things I see are that the H9 Bypass on page 3 is set to a CC Momentary action where it should be a CC Toggle, and the Ventris Bypass should not have Remote Control turned on. I don't know if this is enough to solve the problem, but those corrections should definitely be made.

Thanks for the super fast reply. I made those changes. Now, the H9 changes state on preset changes properly, but the switch I've assigned on p3 has to be pressed twice to change the state of the H9 from or to bypass. Absolutely consistent behaviour. So we solved one problem and created another.

No change on the Ventris issues.

On your H9, which function do you have assigned to CC#10? "Active" should be what's assigned to CC10, not Bypass or Toggle Between Active and Bypass.

Outstanding! That fixed the H9 problem. Thank you so much. Now, any ideas on the Ventris?

Update: this morning I found a workaround for the Ventris. I still would PREFER to be able to turn the 2nd engine on and off (I'm also having a problem with spillover, suggesting there may be a bug on their end). But in the meantime, I've assigned two foot switches on p2 for preset up and down, and if I use single engines, I can get a spillover effect close enough to turning the 2nd engine on and off reliably. This duplicates two other switches on p3, so I think I set it correctly so the selections on p2 are not saved with the preset, but the selections on p3 are.

If anyone has suggestions for getting the Ventris to work the way it's supposed to, let me know. I'm also contacting their tech support.

Attachments

• PBC-2-Jan-2021.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
In thinking about it, I think there were problems with the Source Audio pedals, where they didn't accept CCs for a short while after receiving a program change. I thought that they resolved that, but maybe not...

I don't think that's the issue, but the MIDI implementation is somewhat different from the options on the pedal itself, which is weird. Anyway, we'll see what they say when they're back in the office. The kludge works for now. Thanks for all your help, and I will update this thread when more news arrives.

Played for 3 hours in the space yesterday. The Ventris kludge works.

two other issues came up.

The PBC is sending a PC to the H9 on every preset change. Is there a way to set it to only send a PC if the PC is different on the new preset vs the old one?

Also, right now I’m using a global preset. Very handy. But I have a couple songs that will have more than 4 presets. I can see a few ways to do it but I’m not sure what is the simplest

—just hit page up and select the next preset — downside is 2 button presses and more to think about.
—switch to alt presets on a 2nd page and then I have 8 per page, which is plenty, but then I lose the global. this is how I’m leaning.
—program the 4th preset to go to the next preset page
—something I haven’t thought of

what‘s easiest?

what do you recommend?

Played for 3 hours in the space yesterday. The Ventris kludge works.

two other issues came up.

The PBC is sending a PC to the H9 on every preset change. Is there a way to set it to only send a PC if the PC is different on the new preset vs the old one?
In Devices, turn off "Send Redundant PCs" for the H9 device.

Also, right now I’m using a global preset. Very handy. But I have a couple songs that will have more than 4 presets. I can see a few ways to do it but I’m not sure what is the simplest

—just hit page up and select the next preset — downside is 2 button presses and more to think about.
—switch to alt presets on a 2nd page and then I have 8 per page, which is plenty, but then I lose the global. this is how I’m leaning.
—program the 4th preset to go to the next preset page
—something I haven’t thought of

what‘s easiest?

what do you recommend?

You could also use alternate presets, so that pressing a Preset button a second time recalls a different preset. Set "Preset 2nd Press" to Alt, then set Alternate Preset in eery preset to whichever preset you want to come up. This could be the global preset or any other preset.

Back