Jackson Audio Bloom PC Cycling

recordingpro

First of all, this is my first post and I’m a brand new PBC 6x owner, so apologies if my questions aren’t as informed as they could be. However, I did search for a few hours to see if my particular problem had been covered.
In any case, here goes:

I set up the Bloom on the Device page using the built-in support. I also cross referenced it to other user’s files to make sure I did it right. Everything looks good there. The problem arises when I go to a button page and set up a button to be a Dev Preset +. It appears to only cycle from 0 to 5, which leaves out the Orange setting in the Bloom (or PC 6).
The manual on the Bloom says it responds to PC 1-6, so I went and made the PC Offset to be 1, but this still did nothing to help my situation with the button. It appears to me that the Dev PC + button doesn’t take into account the pc offset setting.
Any ideas?

I was pulling my hair out for a while on this same issue on my PBC 10 last year when I first added the Bloom to my board. You can get it to include all presets just by increasing the # of Presets on the Devices tab (plus maybe a few other things, I can't remember everything I tweaked before settling for what I got - screenshot below though for how I'm using it now).

Once I solved that though, there's still another issue with cycling above the highest or below the lowest presets. I have a midi-modded POG 2 that cycles through 8 presets no problem, it starts over when you + from the highest and - from the lowest. Not so with the Bloom. When you + from Preset 6 (orange), it stays there for one more time, then + again finally goes back to Preset 1 (white), and similarly when you - from Preset 1, it stays there until you - again, then finally goes to Preset 6. I just had to accept this... and if I lay down my (I'd say reasonable) expectation of perfection for a minute, I can admit that I rarely actually USE the cycle feature in this way anyway, and NEVER use it live, so the extra press is nothing more than a minor annoyance. Most of the time I just send it a PC number per preset, which works perfectly.

In my discussions with other PBC and Bloom users, it sounds like those that claimed it "worked" for them only meant it works as I just described above, and it didn't bother them. To my knowledge no one can get it to work as you and I expect it to work (though I would love to hear if someone found a solution).

I think it comes down to Jackson's implementation of midi being slightly different. I struggled with this issue at the same time as struggling with the midi connection itself, and after some back and forth with Jackson and sending my pedal back to them, I learned that they went with the midi standard spec... apparently most pedal makers don't? So I had to make my own TRS midi cable rather than use an existing TRS midi box that I had, and then I ran across this... Definitely lost some sleep over that for a bit haha!

Anyway, here's my device page:
1616390585004.png

And my button settings:
1616390911172.png

Hope that helps!

I might also add that if I leave it at PC offset of 1 that I basically lose PC #2 because for some reason is calls up the WHITE mode (PC #1) for both PC #1 and PC #2. It does this in my presets as well as the IA button. And to add insult to injury, I'm still not able to access the ORANGE mode (PC #6). So basically I'm forced to leave the device setup at the following:

PC Offset: 0
Max PC: 6
# Presets: 6

This does allow me to directly call each mode individually from a preset, but I still lose the ORANGE mode (PC #6) if I use the Dev PC+ button.

Yeah same issue I had. Try increasing the total number of presets. It will at least solve the missing orange mode. You'll still get stuck cycling twice on Orange when using + and twice on White when using -, but at least you'll have all your presets accessible.

I had posted my reply just as you posted. You explained it a bit better than I did, but I'm definitely experiencing the same "extra button push" as you describe. I honestly just wanted to make sure it wasn't me doing something incorrectly since I'm so new. I appreciate you saving me from losing sleep over this. I'll let you know if I come up with a better solution!

Good question... I think I copied that from another device, unless it’s selected by default. I don’t think I meant to select it but it’s on and it works, so I’m hesitant to mess with it any more haha!

Well I just answered that question for myself. If you don't have that checked, it won't store your CCs to presets when setting up your presets on the PBC.

Thanks for you help!

I'm using CCs in Macro to tell presets that i need, Comp+Eq or EQ+ Boost or Eq only etc...or Bypass!, i also tell with CCs 4 and 5 how much Boost i need on each preset..

CCs are very important for my use...

Here are my Edits...If you see something strange don't hesitate to share

Hervé

Attachments

• REPETE 28.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
i don't have any problem partcularly with the Bloom (all works perfectly) , i just share my edits... now if anyone see some something or have suggestion to improve my Edits, it could be helpful.
I'm French so my English is rather limited, it is sometimes difficult to understand technical notions in another language

i don't have any problem partcularly with the Bloom (all works perfectly) , i just share my edits... now if anyone see some something or have suggestion to improve my Edits, it could be helpful.
I'm French so my English is rather limited, it is sometimes difficult to understand technical notions in another language
The way you have your Bloom set up on the Devices tab is different from mine (you have the Max PC and the # of Presets opposite from my setup). But that might not matter if you're only accessing presets by sending a PC # for the Bloom on different presets. The only issue that @recordingpro and I were having is when we try to set up Device PC+ and Device PC- buttons to increment and decrement the PC. If you want to do that, you can set up a couple buttons on a button page from the Buttons tab (you can use my second screenshot above as a reference), and you'll probably have to update the settings for the Bloom on the Devices tab to have Max PC = 6 and # of Presets = 7 like in my first screenshot.

In general, it looks like you have a pretty good setup. If you're looking for a way to expand your control from the PBC, you could develop more button pages. I have it set up so that I have a couple of global buttons that will cycle through my button pages, so at any time I can page up or down to get to a button page to control a particular device with more detail. For example, I have a button page to control my Bloom, where I can turn on/off the Comp, EQ, and Boost, and I can use my expression pedal to control the boost and I can also use PC+/PC- buttons to change my preset at will. I also have button pages for my BigSky and TimeLine where I assign buttons to toggle the loop on/off, turn my dry signal on/off, toggle series/parallel, and I have a hold/freeze momentary button, as well as PC+/PC- to change presets on those devices. There's a lot that you can do with all of that to make spontaneous playing/jamming easier when you aren't just playing through a planned song/setlist.

I hope that makes sense. It is difficult to translate technical issues, but you are doing great so far and your English is far better than my French! :)

Hi Josh,
many thanks for that! :)

It will be the next step for me to develop more buttons, i will eventually have a page for Bloom , Asabi, and Hx Stomp.

On the other hand I had programmed an expression pedal for the Bloom boost, but I found it lacked progressivity ( i don't think Boss EV30, was the issue, perhaps something between Mastermind and Bloom), so I program the value by preset...It's less flexible.

;)
Hervé

Hi Josh,
many thanks for that! :)

It will be the next step for me to develop more buttons, i will eventually have a page for Bloom , Asabi, and Hx Stomp.

On the other hand I had programmed an expression pedal for the Bloom boost, but I found it lacked progressivity ( i don't think Boss EV30, was the issue, perhaps something between Mastermind and Bloom), so I program the value by preset...It's less flexible.

;)
Hervé
You’re right, it’s not a very smooth or reliable taper. I have to fuss with it a bit to get it to go all the way up, but I just don’t use the boost much anyway. Sometimes I limit the expression max so that I just push my expression pedal all the way up for only a 5-10% boost for a lead part. But if you know ahead of time how you want it, it’s much more reliable to just program the exact amount ahead of time.

Good luck!

@rjmmusic I thought this was worth bringing up since it seems to be a recurring issue for people. Not a bug with the Mastermind, seems to be more of a midi implementation incompatibility from Jackson. But a workaround would be to update the Bloom device settings on the devices page by increasing the "Max PC" and "# of Presets" values by 1 each (you can see that in my screenshot above). People that only send PC #s to the Bloom will probably never notice as it doesn't affect that functionality, but setting up PC+/PC- won't access the highest Bloom preset (PC #6) with the out-of-the-box device settings on the editor.

@rjmmusic I thought this was worth bringing up since it seems to be a recurring issue for people. Not a bug with the Mastermind, seems to be more of a midi implementation incompatibility from Jackson. But a workaround would be to update the Bloom device settings on the devices page by increasing the "Max PC" and "# of Presets" values by 1 each (you can see that in my screenshot above). People that only send PC #s to the Bloom will probably never notice as it doesn't affect that functionality, but setting up PC+/PC- won't access the highest Bloom preset (PC #6) with the out-of-the-box device settings on the editor.
Also, it's not a PC offset issue. If I remember correctly, when I tried setting PC Offset to 1, I had to increment Max PC to 7 and # of Presets to 8.

Ok I'll make a note of that for next time.

i've tried to program IA buttons on a page dedicated to Bloom to recall each presets (PCs) , effectively it skips the orange mode
meanwhile i don't have any issue when i program presets with Mastermind editor , i can access all presets of the bloom even orange mode...

Back