Looking for Axe-Fx III Specific Wish List

Looking at this issue specifically, I can get it to work here, and I don't think I did anything that would have fixed it. Are you actually specifying tempos on the GT with MIDI clock enabled, or are you relying on tempos set on the Axe-Fx? (it'll work on the former, but not the latter case)

Ah okay, didn't realize that. I was indeed using the Tap Tempo button on the GT to set the tempo on the Axe-Fx.

Show Tempo only works when "Update on Preset Change" is turned on on your tempo button. This admittedly very non-obvious setting works like this on a tempo button:

When turned off, the Axe-Fx has control of the button's flashing. The button flashes when the Axe-Fx tells it to. The button sends a tap message to the Axe-Fx every time the button is pressed. The Axe-Fx does all the work of calculating tempo rates.

When turned on, the GT has control of the button's flashing. It calculates tempo based on the rate at which you tap the button, and (if enabled) sends MIDI clock at that rate.

Because the GT isn't in charge of determining the actual tempo in the former case, it can't display the tempo. You could turn on Calculate Tempo From Flashes - that has the GT try to calculate the tempo from the flash requests sent from the Axe-Fx. It works pretty well, but is not perfect. There is a way to read the numeric tempo directly from the Axe-Fx. I will probably need to figure out how to add support for that - it would be the most accurate option.

Show Tempo only works when "Update on Preset Change" is turned on on your tempo button. This admittedly very non-obvious setting works like this on a tempo button:

When turned off, the Axe-Fx has control of the button's flashing. The button flashes when the Axe-Fx tells it to. The button sends a tap message to the Axe-Fx every time the button is pressed. The Axe-Fx does all the work of calculating tempo rates.

When turned on, the GT has control of the button's flashing. It calculates tempo based on the rate at which you tap the button, and (if enabled) sends MIDI clock at that rate.

Because the GT isn't in charge of determining the actual tempo in the former case, it can't display the tempo. You could turn on Calculate Tempo From Flashes - that has the GT try to calculate the tempo from the flash requests sent from the Axe-Fx. It works pretty well, but is not perfect. There is a way to read the numeric tempo directly from the Axe-Fx. I will probably need to figure out how to add support for that - it would be the most accurate option.

Thanks Ron, clear!

hi, i don't know much about sysex calculations. How can we find/program sysex messages for:

1) delay block, tempo division. i did this with axe fx 2 and my old midi controller. so lets say i could change the delay value of Delay Block 1 in Axe Fx from 1/4 notes to 1/4 triplets.

2) would it be possible to program sysex messages for delay/reverb hold buttons, amp boost button etc....so we don't use/run out of external controllers (in Axe FX 3, you can have 16 of them)

Last edited:
hi, i don't know much about sysex calculations. How can we find/program sysex messages for:

1) delay block, tempo division. i did this with axe fx 2 and my old midi controller. so lets say i could change the delay value of Delay Block 1 in Axe Fx from 1/4 notes to 1/4 triplets.

2) would it be possible to program sysex messages for delay/reverb hold buttons, amp boost button etc....so we don't use/run out of external controllers (in Axe FX 3, you can have 16 of them)

MIDI on the Axe-Fx III works completely differently than prior models. There aren't any published sysex messages for individual parameters like tempo division and things like that. People may have figured some of those out, but if they have, I'm not aware of them. The only things you can do with the published interface is turn blocks on and off, select presets, scenes and channels, and use external controllers. If Fractal adds more functionality, we can probably support it, but we're out of luck until they do.

Global Buttons for Global Blocks:
When using Global Blocks, having Global buttons would be nice.
This way you'd only have to change one button instead of going through all the presets where this button was used.

Global Buttons for Global Blocks:
When using Global Blocks, having Global buttons would be nice.
This way you'd only have to change one button instead of going through all the presets where this button was used.
Aren't all buttons global? Isn't a global button state the default? Unless you setup a local button page for a preset, it's all global always? Maybe I don't understand what you're after?

Local Page Global Buttons then.
I have several presets that use global blocks.
Let's take the delay block for instance.
I Global Block 1 set up like this for some presets:
Channel A: 1/4 - 1/8dot
Channel B: 1/2 - 1/4
Channel C: 1/8dot
Channel D: 1/4 hold

These are also the descriptions for the hold function and which are displayed on the GT22.
But if I were to change any of those channels, it would be nice if I only had to change one button instead of going through all the presets where this global block was used.

It's just to add an option: Global Block and assign a number from 1 - 10.

Local Page Global Buttons then.
I have several presets that use global blocks.
Let's take the delay block for instance.
I Global Block 1 set up like this for some presets:
Channel A: 1/4 - 1/8dot
Channel B: 1/2 - 1/4
Channel C: 1/8dot
Channel D: 1/4 hold

These are also the descriptions for the hold function and which are displayed on the GT22.
But if I were to change any of those channels, it would be nice if I only had to change one button instead of going through all the presets where this global block was used.

It's just to add an option: Global Block and assign a number from 1 - 10.
Ah. I see.

Well, if I'm expanding on this request then: I'd like to get rid fo the local page and allow any switch on any page to be overriden by a preset-local switch definition.

If we had this, you could mix global buttons and local buttons on one page which would basically solve your need and then some, right?

I agree.
That's why I liked the way the Gordius was set up.
You had a library of buttons.
You could also add as many pages to each preset as you wanted.
It also had something like inheritance.
It's like what you described.
You could base a preset page on a global page and then have s-certain buttons be overwritten by local buttons.
But if all buttons were to be stored in a central library, that would certainly simplify things

A moment ago I saw photos of an ambitious DIY foot controller. Very inspiring enthusiasm of the man, I like his determination and the result of his work so far .... OK, I write it because I found out what I missed on my MMGT 22 :)
Opportunity to select not only the button color, but also the font color. I think it would be great to have new options to differentiate the button state. Of course, if at all possible.
For better illustration I dared to use photo
Multicolor.jpeg

Back