Looking to see if the MEG can do this... Midi Order Switching via RJM PBC/10 in a particular way

neilvg

I'm thinking about getting a MEG to add to my PBC/10

HOWEVER, the need I have is to have a switcher that can dynamically reorder 2 stereo pedals. What I want to be able to do is tap a button to switch on or off each pedal, and I also want to be able to hit another button to be able to switch the order of these two pedals.

Now I want to be able to do this from the control of the PBC/10.

My question is, does the MEG have the ability to make use of the PBC/10 function switches (the ones to change channels on amps etc...) to change settings? In other words, could I rig those function switches to basically flip the order of loop 1 and 2 on the MEG and the other button to turn those loops on or off?

I want to be able to control everything from the PBC/10 or with a switch from the MEG - I can probably also try plugging in a midi button pedal to the back of the MEG as well. But I don't want it to necessarily be a program change per se... although it might have to be rigged that way.

Whatever preset I have loaded from my PBC/10 (and controlling the MEG) I also want to be able to, like the loop toggle functionality within the PBC 10, to be able to hit a button to reorder the loops.

I know there is some experimental SYSEX stuff, but I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole. I know that I can assign the global function button on the PBC/10 to go into the loops display of the MEG - this is cool. So I can toe tap to turn on and off loops. But can I rig an order switcher as well here?

Thanks - I know my writing here is a bit of a ramble...

Best,
Neil

There are only two ways to change loop order - each preset on the MEGX can have its own loop order, and selecting a preset on the MEGX will also load up any loop order stored in the preset. Or, you can send a sysex to the MEGX. One button on the PBC10 that sends two sysexes (one for button on, one for button off) would do the job and is the best way to do it in my opinion.

The MEGX can also have 2 buttons attached to it right? I could assign one of those buttons to send a SYSEX command as you have described for Button on and Button off - ie loop order 1 or loop order 2?

Also - another question - where would the best place be to patch in the MEGX on the PBC/10? It seems I would have to do it before loops7-10 right? Because otherwise I'd have to go out the main outs of the PBC/10 (post loop 10) which to me would probably not be the best option right? But maybe that would be OK?

I want my loop order switching pedals to be the two last things before hitting my amp... so I suppose it'd have to be patched in after loop 10....

Last edited:
The PBC can have 2 additional buttons connected to it. The MEGX doesn't have an input for extra switches (it's not a MIDI controller). It only has an output that can be used to control other devices that accept a basic footswitch (like amps).

If you want the MEGX to be the last thing in your signal chain, you would need to connect it after the PBC's output. Or, if you want to retain use of the PBC's output options (isolation transformer, phase switch), you could put the MEGX in loop 10 of the PBC.

Back