Mastering the Mastermind Series Topic Suggestion

scratch17

I'd love to see an in depth video on how to program a complex MIDI device using the generic device template in the editor.

Thanks for considering my request Ron.

At this point, there are basically three types of devices with full RJM Mastermind support: loopers, pedals / multi-effects, and modelers. I'd like to see synths added to this list. Being able to control synth parameters with my feet would be a real boon.

If I have to choose a device, it would be the Roland VG-99. I have an FC-300 which does provide a very comprehensive control setup. However, I'd prefer to be able to use the GT10 because I can control other devices like my Kemper at the same time as the VG-99.

The VG-99 is like the KPA, FX3 and Helix in that it needs bi-directional control. So I think it is a good device to use as an example.

Now I must confess that I have a second reason that I asked for the generic device control tutorial.

I want to control software in my studio rig. I need my hands free while I record and play my guitar. So being able to control my studio software with my feet would be a Godsend. I don't just want transport control of Logic Pro. I want to be able to drop markers, set loop points, mute channels, etc. It would also be great to be able to use a continuous controller pedal to write, start, stop and loop automation. I also want to be able to control plugins with my GT10.

I have some ideas for some subject matter.

1. What can and cannot be accomplished via the generic device? The better programmers understand the scope of what you can do with a generic device, the better the results will be.

2. What features are implemented in the control setups of RJM supported devices that are unavailable to programming via a generic device? Or is it possible with some grit and hard work any device could get the same level of control by a generic device programmer?*

3. My basic understanding of the actions section on the button page is to add or remove MIDI commands. What kinds of MIDI messages can the actions encompass? Are there limitations?

It seems to me that there is a potential for far more device control templates. Potentially, the forum members could create control templates based on an in-depth generic device programming video tutorial. You could even take a user generated template and add to it to provide full device support from RJM.

Hi Ron. Two ideas for possible Mastering the Mastermind videos or at least short tutorials for the website.

1. I find the concept of local button pages to be confusing. A brief video explaining their benefits/uses would be helpful.

2. A video discussing the pros/cons of putting MIDI capable pedals in audio loops as opposed to after the PBC. Specifically pedals like Strymon Timeline and Big Sky. Is it better to have them after the PBC to free up more audio loops to be used with non-MIDI pedals?

Thanks for making such an amazing product and providing such good customer service!

Regarding the first post that I somehow missed the first time around, generic devices can do pretty much anything you want with a uni-directional MIDI device. Any MIDI messages can be sent from any button. Some of the more uncommon ones will need to use the Mastermind's Sysex support (which can actually send any message type as long as you know the hex codes for it).

However, generic devices can't do anything bidirectionally. There's no standard for bidirectional MIDI, at least not until MIDI 2.0 is finished and devices start supporting it, so I have to write specific code for each bidirectional device we support.

I'll put local button pages down on the list of potential video topics, thanks for that.

Regarding putting MIDI capable pedals in loops:

Advantages of putting them in a loop:
- Possible improvement in audio quality when the pedal is bypassed (although, probably not much of a difference in modern pedals)
- You can put the pedals in between other pedals. If the pedal is connected outside the switcher, you're limited to putting the pedals before all the pedals in the switcher or after.
- On the PBC/6X, the pedal could be moved around in the signal path if it's in a loop

Advantages of nut putting them in a loop:
- Loops are freed up for other purposes

Regarding the first post that I somehow missed the first time around, generic devices can do pretty much anything you want with a uni-directional MIDI device. Any MIDI messages can be sent from any button. Some of the more uncommon ones will need to use the Mastermind's Sysex support (which can actually send any message type as long as you know the hex codes for it).

However, generic devices can't do anything bidirectionally. There's no standard for bidirectional MIDI, at least not until MIDI 2.0 is finished and devices start supporting it, so I have to write specific code for each bidirectional device we support.

I'll put local button pages down on the list of potential video topics, thanks for that.

Regarding putting MIDI capable pedals in loops:

Advantages of putting them in a loop:
- Possible improvement in audio quality when the pedal is bypassed (although, probably not much of a difference in modern pedals)
- You can put the pedals in between other pedals. If the pedal is connected outside the switcher, you're limited to putting the pedals before all the pedals in the switcher or after.
- On the PBC/6X, the pedal could be moved around in the signal path if it's in a loop

Advantages of nut putting them in a loop:
- Loops are freed up for other purposes
Theoretically, could you put a midi capable pedal (Chase Bliss Preamp MKII) in the "Out 1-4" and "In 5-6" so as not to use a loop and then just control it completely by Midi. That way it doesn't have to be last int he chain. Would that work?

Theoretically, could you put a midi capable pedal (Chase Bliss Preamp MKII) in the "Out 1-4" and "In 5-6" so as not to use a loop and then just control it completely by Midi. That way it doesn't have to be last int he chain. Would that work?
I do exactly that with a Jackson Audio Golden Boy — works great. I can control bypass, clipping options, and gain level all via cc messages assigned to IA buttons. And I can’t tell any difference in tone or signal quality with the pedal in the insert point vs in a loop.

Andrew, would you mind sending a screenshot or explaining how you do the programming? I can't decide how I want to set it up. All my loops 1-10 will be filled with other pedal so where do you put your IA access to your midi control gain?

Hey Jonathan -- happy to help if I can... I have the buttons controlling my Golden Boy on a separate "Gain Settings" page, which is different from the out of the box "Loops" page on a PBC10. I have some other buttons on the same page, controlling all my (current) gain pedals and suchlike, including the different channels on a BluGuitar Amp1.

On the Golden Boy, you can control bypass for the drive and boost individually, as well as 4 different clipping options on the drive and 4 different "flavours" of boost, and 4 different levels of gain. So I have two buttons which turn on or off the drive and boost (respectively), an IA cycle button that cycles through the different clipping options, another IA cycle button to go through the boost flavours, and a third IA cycle button to cycle through the different gain levels. Key thing is that all those buttons are set to "send on preset change" and "update on preset change". That way, I can store those settings (button states) for any given PBC preset. So when I change PBC presets, the Golden Boy will switch to the settings I need. Hope that makes sense...

From what I know of the CB Preamp Mark II, I suspect there's lots of different things you *could* control with different IA buttons. My sense is that the key thing would be to set up a page where you program buttons to control the things you want to control on the CB Preamp.

If you don't want to set up a whole separate page for the CB Preamp, say, to keep all the pedal/loop bypass buttons on the "Loops" page, you could combine a couple of loops into an IA cycle button. For example, the button labelled 5 could be an IA Cycle controlling loops 4 and 5, where step 1 is both loops off, step 2 is loop 4 on, step 3 is loop 5 on (and loop 4 off), and step 4 is both loops on. Then the button labelled 4 could be an IA button that turns the CB Preamp on and off via MIDI. That's just me speculating -- I'm sure you could do more, but the closest I've come to one of those CB Preamps is watching "That Pedal Show" on YouTube... :)

Hope that helps. But let me know if I've only made matters worse!

Thanks so much for your reply. Nice of you to take the time. I rebuilt my board and reprogrammed my PBC10 from scratch with CB Preamp MKII in the position discussed above. The only issue I have is that it remains in whatever state it was when turned off. In other words, the pedal remains engaged so when I turn on my rig, the pedal is automatically on. I'm, going to try to program Preset 1 (Clean) to send a message to bypass the pedal. That should work. Any other ideas?

If this is already stated in the video series I apologize, but could we see a video on setting up the mastermind to control Abelton from the mastermind (specifically starting/controlling tracks and click) and also programming midi notes to mastermind and other devices (specifically programming midi notes to the track so that patches/presets change automatically.) Now that I think about it, this sounds more like an Abelton question, but thought I would suggest it. Let me know. Thanks!

Back