Mastermind and axe-fx iii - Can the IA buttons follow the effect names?

carl1000

I have a mastermind GT and an Axe-FXiii using bi-directional MIDI. I probably already know the answer to this question, but my guitar player has been on me about it. From song to song he gets confused as to what drive 1,2,3,4 is, if he wants to manually turn one off and on etc.

Can the IA buttons match up to the axe-fx III's effect names? In other words, is there a way to put the actual effect name in place of, say, "Drive 1"? I guess the problem would be that each song, drive 1 could be a different drive pedal. I know that I can rename the buttons within the RJM, but that doesn't help as from one song or scene to the next, the drive pedal manufacturer could change. So I couldn't just name that IA button to "Klon"....but if on the next scene drive 1 changes to TS808, the name would still be "KLON". I didn't know if there was a way to get those names to track with each scene/song. Thanks dudes.

yes you can but you will need a page for each preset but you can share a page if effect are the same...
Im not with my gt22 now but will be during this week

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, presently you can not access the drive (or any other effect) names via midi. Fractal does not provide this functionality, so there is nothing that RJM can do to add this feature, either.

If it is that important to your guitar player, maybe find a way to incoporate the drive name into the scene name.

I have named all my drives and all my effects accordingly to the effect name on the differnt channels
this is just a example if you look at drive 1 and go to hold page then you can name it in IA cycle step
from there its just a matter of asigning your preset to the page that fits the name.. but as Heretoday says it cant follow it you have to write it in manually.

Attachments

• drive1.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
yes you can but you will need a page for each preset but you can share a page if effect are the same...
Im not with my gt22 now but will be during this week
This is what I thought. We use everything in Song Mode so I would have to use a different page for each song to be able to independently name IA buttons. But, there are only 16 pages. And I have about 25 songs lol. I think he will have to go back on the AXFX and rearrange the drive pedals from light to heavy. So "drive 1" is ALWAYS a lighter overdrive, and as you go up the drive #'s, the overdrive gets heavier.

This is what I thought. We use everything in Song Mode so I would have to use a different page for each song to be able to independently name IA buttons. But, there are only 16 pages. And I have about 25 songs lol. I think he will have to go back on the AXFX and rearrange the drive pedals from light to heavy. So "drive 1" is ALWAYS a lighter overdrive, and as you go up the drive #'s, the overdrive gets heavier.
Yeah but its unlikely to have 8 new drives for each song so maybe he can use page 1 for 10 songs

Yeah but its unlikely to have 8 new drives for each song so maybe he can use page 1 for 10 songs
That's true. The only issue he may have is he has to go from one song to the next very quickly, so he would have to remember on certain songs to use the page button instead of the up-and-down arrows to navigate songs. Thanks for the help!

A preset can call any pages so eg: he has a song = preset 1 that calls page 1 were drive 1 is on klone (chanel A) then on song 2 he calls page 1 but the drive1 is on 808 mod(Channel B)

I do have a couple other suggestions that developed from me being in a similar situation as I moved from "kitchen sink" style presets to preset per song methodology. Kinda became neccessary as our catalogue grew to 180 songs and counting.

Once I moved to preset per song, I found that the need to change drives and/or effects dropped drastically (really not at all), but I still wanted to tailor tone to fit the venue or mood of the audience, etc. So first, I normally, I set up scenes to match song sections, but within that, I will add scenes that have heavier distortion or more effects, following the general guildine, that as I move up in scene number I add more effect. e.g. scene 2 might be "verse, light distortion", scene 3, "verse w/ heavier distortion". Changing scenes is a piece of cake with the Axe/GT.

The other tradeoff, was adding some effect pedals to control gain, reverb tails. etc. So, if I am looking for more distortion, I just step on my "gain" pedal and away I go. I would think within a song, he is really looking to tweak, right? Not make wholesale changes?

I do have a couple other suggestions that developed from me being in a similar situation as I moved from "kitchen sink" style presets to preset per song methodology. Kinda became neccessary as our catalogue grew to 180 songs and counting.

Once I moved to preset per song, I found that the need to change drives and/or effects dropped drastically (really not at all), but I still wanted to tailor tone to fit the venue or mood of the audience, etc. So first, I normally, I set up scenes to match song sections, but within that, I will add scenes that have heavier distortion or more effects, following the general guildine, that as I move up in scene number I add more effect. e.g. scene 2 might be "verse, light distortion", scene 3, "verse w/ heavier distortion". Changing scenes is a piece of cake with the Axe/GT.

The other tradeoff, was adding some effect pedals to control gain, reverb tails. etc. So, if I am looking for more distortion, I just step on my "gain" pedal and away I go. I would think within a song, he is really looking to tweak, right? Not make wholesale changes?
yeah ive done the same...i run 200 cover songs on 5 presets but actually stopped running presets pr song some time ago, now
i run 5 presets on 10 pages so preset 1 uses page 1-2 preset 2 uses 3-4 and so on ... all my Pages (2) are scenes and looper with a few difference depending on preset

Thanks! Yeah, what he does is, if a song has "Drive 1" and "Drive 2" on, sometimes he likes to turn one off depending on the mood etc. The problem is we just started with these fractals six months ago. So when he programmed all of his songs and sounds, he wasn't thinking about this part yet. Now that we have really figured out the MMGT etc., he is now realizing he doesn't remember what drive is what on certain songs. So he doesn't know what to cut on/off. If he had known about this earlier, he would have did a better job setting up efx in a more organized matter throughout the song list on the AXFX III. Adding a scene or two to the existing preset could be a good idea.

yeah ive done the same...i run 200 cover songs on 5 presets but actually stopped running presets pr song some time ago, now
i run 5 presets on 10 pages so preset 1 uses page 1-2 preset 2 uses 3-4 and so on ... all my Pages (2) are scenes and looper with a few difference depending on preset

That's interesting that we headed in opposite directions. It wasn't for lack of trying. To better manage the fractal firmware universe, I really wanted to just have a handful of presets and I will certainly envy you at each firmware update!

Truth be told, I still only run one preset "template" for across all the songs, I just tailor the blocks within to accommodate each song. It took months of iterations to get there and a constant focus on "the big picture", but it helps my sanity knowing where everything is at all times and across many songs/genres. I would truly lose it if I were running that many custom presets.

Back