Mastermind, Expression Pedal, Timefactor

cscotto

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along some information, in case it might be helpful to other users. I have a Timefactor and Modfactor. I am using an RJM Mastermind for midi control. I have been trying to assign to the CC assigned to the expression pedal to control a function in the Timefactor. I had been using an Ernie Ball volume pedal and an M-audio expression pedal into the Mastermind. With both pedals, I had problems with the Timefactor. For example, when I assign the CC assigned to the pedal in the Mastermind to the Mix knob on the Timefactor, the pedal did not sweep evenly from 0 to 127. I tried numerous times to calibrate the pedal (and yes, I had the polarity correctly set according to the manual), but it always just sweeped erratically through the range. I finally tried a Yamaha FC7. This is a winning combination. Now the sweep from 0 to 127 is even.

So, if you have an RJM Mastermind and a Timefactor, and you are having trouble with other expression/volume pedals, try the Yamaha FC7.

All the best,

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know the impedance of the two pedals? And, what version of the Mastermind firmware are you using?

I am using the 1.4 firmware. The volume pedal is the Ernie Ball junior, so I am assuming the impedance is 25k, the value of the pot. I cannot find any info on the m-audio exp. Could I measure the impedance with a multimeter set to ohms and rocking the pedal? I would be happy to do that. Also, I should say that both those pedals worked fine with my G -major 2. And both those pedals worked fine plugged directlybinto the Timefactor. It was just the combination of pedal, mastermind, and timefactor that caused a problem.

Yes, if you measure between the connector ground and the tip, you'll either get a constant value of resistance, or one that varies with the pedal position. (Depending on how the pedal is wired). Please let me know what you find!

Hi,

OK, I measured the impedance of the M-Audio EXP expression pedal. It is 60K. The pedal also has a switch to shift the polarity, so you do not have to do any rewiring to get the connections to match those in the Mastermind manual. It also has a knob on the side that adjusts the impedance of the pedal to adjust how quickly the pedal goes through its range. I measure with the impedance with the control fully open. With the knob fully closed the impedance was 11K. Hope that helps.

All the best,

and thanks for making some great products.

Back