MASTERMIND GT 3.0 BETA 2 RELEASE

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
At long last, here's a first look at Mastermind GT 3.0. The major features are:

- Expansion to 768 presets (keeping up with the Joneses, or in this case, the Fractals. :) )
- Page up and down buttons now can have limits set on them so they only scroll through a subset of active pages
- Device PC - and PC + buttons allow you to scroll through presets on a specific device without affecting other devices
- "Start on last preset" setting makes the GT start up on the last preset that was selected before it powered down
- Display brightness and contrast are no longer part of each GT's settings file, so transferring settings between GTs doesn't screw up your contrast settings
- "CC Link" on IA buttons allows for control of IAs from incoming CC messages (from a computer or other MIDI controller)
- And some bug fixes of course

This is a beta release, so expect bugs! Don't install this right before your big tour. Please PM me or post your comments here if you find anything weird in this release.

UPDATE 8/5/2015
3.0 beta 2 is now available, which now includes:
- Song-level tempos. You can set a tempo for each song now. Preset tempos override song tempos, so be sure to set your preset tempos to 0 if you want the song tempo to operate correctly.
- Page names. You can now name each global and local button page. This name will show up when switching pages and in the page menu. There's also a setting in Display Settings that turns on the page name display in the top line of the main display.
- Reverse Menu settings. Turning this on (in Display Settings) flips the Page, Preset, Song and Setlist menus so that they start at the bottom row of the GT instead of the top.
- Added support for Mastermind PBC and Atomic Ampliifire (untested!)
- Updated support for Infinity Looper 2.0 firmware
- The vertical bar character '|' can be used in button names to add extra text to the button that is only displayed when editing the button. Anything after the bar will not be displayed in the button in normal use
- Bug fix: start on last preset doesn't work when setlist is set to All Songs
- Bug fix: a momentary button with a hold function didn't display correctly
- Bug fix: Copy and swap buttons on the GT itself didn't copy hold functions and cycle data

Update Instructions:

1). BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS!!! If you have to go back to 2.3.6 or 3.0b1, your GT will factory reset.

2). Download and unzip the firmware file below, then copy it to a USB flash drive. Be sure to select the "Eject" option on your PC to make sure that the drive is in the right state before pulling it from your computer.

3). Power up the GT while holding the two black buttons under the screen. Wait until the "Mastermind GT Bootloader" screen shows up, then plug in the flash drive. It should run the update at that point, which takes less than a minute.

Note: the first time the GT boots up after the update, it will need to convert your settings to 3.0 format. It will take a few minutes to do this, so be patient and let it finish!

Here are the files:

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT30B2.zip
Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Masterm ... al-3.0.pdf
Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.0b2.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.0b2.zip

Re: MASTERMIND GT 3.0 BETA 1 RELEASE

:cool:

This looks awesome Ron! CC Link has got me very excited as the only thing I was really hoping would be in a future update, but great to see all the other stuff too.

I'll do a proper backup first, but looking forward to having a play with this version.

Have a great holiday too, i'm sure we can all behave and not break anything for a week ;)

Thanks.

Any chance of adding the request below?

>> Hi Ron, I'd like to put in a request.

I often add some info to my preset titles. Like 'stereo only' and such.
This info doesn't need to be displayed in the GT's preset buttons.
So it'd be great if the GT could be instructed not to process the remainder of a preset title, after encountering a certain character in the name. Just like the backslash character tells the GT to wrap around to the next line.

Possible?

I also came across a bug. I had a Bank Down switch with a secondary Hold function (IA > System > Preset). Using the hardware I swapped this button with my IA Mode button, at which point the Hold function disappeared.

Regarding the feature request, is the 31 character limit on button names enough? If so, then adding a "don't display after this" character would be pretty easy.and could make it into the next release after 3.0.0

I will look into the bug as soon as I can. Please note everyone: I'll be looking at this thread first when doing bug fixes and the next release after 3.0, so put your bug reports and feature requests here, even if you've mentioned them somewhere else! The to-do list is getting kinda long, so this helps prioritize.

awesome! always exciting to see new things for the MMGT.

but please try to have a REAL vacation :) leave that phone at home (yeah right) :)

rjmmusic said:
Regarding the feature request, is the 31 character limit on button names enough? If so, then adding a "don't display after this" character would be pretty easy.and could make it into the next release after 3.0.0

I will look into the bug as soon as I can. Please note everyone: I'll be looking at this thread first when doing bug fixes and the next release after 3.0, so put your bug reports and feature requests here, even if you've mentioned them somewhere else! The to-do list is getting kinda long, so this helps prioritize.

31 char is fine by me.

Possible display bug:

I've programmed the top-left button as a Scene Up button: IA (type: "CC Momentary"), action is set to the correct CC, and Momentary is set to ON.
The button also has a HOLD function assigned.

Bug: the switch functionality works fine. But the display stays lit (to be precise: the top half, because it's a hold switch).
It should turn off, because it's a momentary switch.

No matter what I try, I can't solve this.

Tuner display suggestion for GT 3.0

When I use the tuner I have my eyes on the buttom row and not looking at the big arrows.
The bottom row get smaller and smaller and ends up into nothing when the guitar is in tune. (and the two big arrows lit up.)
For me the tuner display would be much better to use if the bottom row arrow would show a big fat ”I” when in tune , instead of disappearing.
What do others think about that ?

ReidarNikolai said:
What about those page titles?

ReidarNikolai

I'm definitely keen to see this implemented at some point. A few of my pages have similar looks, for example a page for a guitar looper, and another for the bass looper. I'm always hitting stop on the wrong one. Just having 'Guitar' or 'Bass' written at the top would make all the difference.

I know you could work around it by using a preset instead, but that wouldn't play nicely with the way I'm using local pages for individual song commands.

Thanks for the update Ron.

So I’ve had a bit of a play with the new pages functions to limit page up/down to a subset of pages. What I wanted to achieve was to have a local page on preset 1 display a fixed page that’s not part of the page up/down scrollable pages. I’ve setup Page up/down to scroll pages 1-3 and global max page to 6 (what’s the point of this setting now?). In my local page for preset 1, I set a button to go to page 5, and that works fine. But how on page 5 do I set a button that will return me to the local page? The page function will not let me set the local page and page 0 doesn’t seem to do anything (would have been good if page 0 would have meant local page if preset has local page or page 1 otherwise).

Quick question ... Does the RJM MM still retrieve the AXE FX II Presets names with this new Firmware ? I haven't updated in a while..... :D

Johan: On page 5, create a button that goes to page 16. That will bring you to the local page if there is one, or global page 16 if not.

The Max Page setting now limits which pages the GT processes. It won't try to process any buttons on any pages beyond the max page number. (The only exception being a local page, which will always be processed regardless of the Max page setting). Lowering this setting to the highest page number you're actually using may give preset changes and other operations a slight speed increase.

Rain: Yes, the Axe Fx II functionality should be unchanged from 2.3.4.

rjmmusic said:
Johan: On page 5, create a button that goes to page 16. That will bring you to the local page if there is one, or global page 16 if not.

The Max Page setting now limits which pages the GT processes. It won't try to process any buttons on any pages beyond the max page number. (The only exception being a local page, which will always be processed regardless of the Max page setting). Lowering this setting to the highest page number you're actually using may give preset changes and other operations a slight speed increase.

Ron, the highest value that the editor allows me to set is 15, next (first) value is 0 and 0 doesn’t seem to do anything.

But I’ve found a workaround - if I set a Page Up button with min 1 and max 2 (on page 5), it will actually select the local page. Not the cleanest config and it works :)

I had a similar issue with loading local pages, so my workaround was to have my main page on 15, so I could use the Page Up command to get to the local page. This does mean the shortcut only works on page 15 though.

Johan - Your workaround sounds like it would be better than mine, but I'm not quite understanding what you mean by the min 1 and max 2, I think i'm missing something obvious as usual, so would you be able to elaborate a little on what you're doing to get that to work on page 5 please?

Ron - not sure if this is a suggestion that's surfaced before, but was wondering in a future release if there was any way of introducing a delay module in the system settings? So that I could fire off commands with short delays between them (50-250ms kind of range or more)? Just like IA cycle steps, but rather than waiting for a button input to go to the next step, it just waits a defined amount of time.

Hi Ron,

Firstly, KILLER GEAR!

Just a quick bug notice for the editor. When setting up a button for device specific PC, it's sets up as first device, if you go to change the device, say from KPA to Axe FX II, it doesn't seem to update the IA action.

Really loving this addition to the software though, it has solved so many headaches with this update when using both KPA and Axe FX II in a single system and trying to manage PC's across devices (both changing at the same time)

Thanks again.

matt-phaeleh said:
Johan - Your workaround sounds like it would be better than mine, but I'm not quite understanding what you mean by the min 1 and max 2, I think i'm missing something obvious as usual, so would you be able to elaborate a little on what you're doing to get that to work on page 5 please?

Have a look at the attached screenshot. This is a new setting in 3.0 beta 1 where you can make a Page Up/Down button only select between a range of pages and I just make sure that the Max page is less than the page I’m on and then the next Page will be the first or local page.

Attachments

• MMGTEditor_v3_0b1_min_max_page.png
    MMGTEditor_v3_0b1_min_max_page.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 1

Johan Allard said:
Have a look at the attached screenshot. This is a new setting in 3.0 beta 1 where you can make a Page Up/Down button only select between a range of pages and I just make sure that the Max page is less than the page I’m on and then the next Page will be the first or local page.

:lol: I'm such an idiot!

Thanks for pointing that out Johan. I installed the beta release to check out some new functions when Ron posted it, but rolled back to 2.3.6 to continue working on my live setup. That would explain why I couldn't figure out where you were setting those values. :)

Hi Ron,

Seems to be a bug in the device specific PC+/PC- for the KPA.

Each step moves to the next slot, then once you've hit slot 5, it rolls over to the next rig.

I'd assumed that these commands on the Kemper should only bump rigs, as a normal PC would do, and not slots.

Works great on the Axe FX II, and is a killer new feature for those of us running both KPA and Axe FX in our rigs.

Thanks again.

On the Kemper, PC messages select slots and not performances. To get performance up and down buttons, have them send CC48, value 0 for performance up and CC49, value 0 for performance down. Or, turn on Auto Names in the GT and use the Bank Up and Bank Down buttons.

Back