MASTERMIND GT 4.1.0 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Email sent with before and after files.

I can do Get Preset Names / Create Songs successfully using both files. I'm not sure what the problem is. Probably the next thing to do is monitor the MIDI communication between the GT and Axe-Fx. If you have the time and inclination to dive into this, let me know!

I can do Get Preset Names / Create Songs successfully using both files. I'm not sure what the problem is. Probably the next thing to do is monitor the MIDI communication between the GT and Axe-Fx. If you have the time and inclination to dive into this, let me know!

Well, if I have the ability to monitor that, I probably should...otherwise this feature may not work properly for me.

So the progress bar never froze? Were you starting from a factory reset?

Well, if I have the ability to monitor that, I probably should...otherwise this feature may not work properly for me.

So the progress bar never froze? Were you starting from a factory reset?

The progress bar went as expected, and I started from each one of your two settings files.

Are running a Mac or PC? That will determine how to do the monitoring.

BTW, in one file I saw that both the Axe-Fx II and III were on the same MIDI channel (3). I corrected that before trying anything.

Mac for me.

Correct me if I’m wrong: two devices on the same midi channel shouldn’t matter in this regard, should it? Or is it that the process is listening for information from the second device that isn’t even hooked up?

Just a thought you could save your banks off, then put the factory preset banks back and that would answer if it’s a bad preset? Just an idea.

Mac for me.

Correct me if I’m wrong: two devices on the same midi channel shouldn’t matter in this regard, should it? Or is it that the process is listening for information from the second device that isn’t even hooked up?

I'm not certain that it would make a difference, but my concern is that it's going to be sending PCs to both devices - 2 PCs per GT preset on the same channel. If it isn't interfering with Get Preset Names, it probably would cause a problem somewhere down the line.

To monitor communication, download MIDI Monitor and MIDI Patchbay for your Mac. Temporarily set your Axe-Fx III device entry in the GT to use the USB port instead of MIDI Out. Make sure both GT and Axe-Fx are connected to your Mac using USB. In MIDI Patchbay, set up a connection from Axe-Fx III MIDI output to GT MIDI input, and another connection from GT MIDI Output to Axe-Fx III MIDI input.

Now, fire up MIDI Monitor. In the MIDI Sources section, make sure that both Mastermind GT and Axe-Fx III are selected. Now run the Get Preset names process. I'm interested to see what happens during the process, and most importantly, what's the last message that's sent before it stops.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think that having both Axe-Fx entries in one file is causing the problem. Try setting the Axe-Fx II entry to Manufacturer: None and see if the process works any better.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think that having both Axe-Fx entries in one file is causing the problem. Try setting the Axe-Fx II entry to Manufacturer: None and see if the process works any better.
I can try, but it was acting the same after a factory reset, when the AFX3 was the only device listed.

I can try, but it was acting the same after a factory reset, when the AFX3 was the only device listed.

Hmm, ok. Then using the MIDI monitor is the next step, we can see if it's the GT or the Axe-Fx that's stopping the process.

Hi Ron, First time long time...

I am having the same issue with Get Preset Names on my MMGT 16. I had no issues with either of the RJM Beta's until updating the Axe to 1.15 (final). I updated to RJM 4.1 a couple days late and still had issues. I factory reset the MMGT after 4.1 and setup a new layout to eliminate any gremlins. It will change presets on the Axe twice and stops. I have tried several ranges of 10 at a time with the same results. I also tried with create songs on and off with a freshly reset GT. I have a nasty habit of copy and paste in the GT editor which leaves CC all over the place so I am good at saving my steps to figure out where I have broken things. All the setup was done from the GT and only connected to the editor to save the files. I just replicated it with a reset GT and skipped set default buttons step and got the same result. I told Sysex Librarian to listen but she didn't hear anything.

Matt E.

p.s. I am great at UAT! I always break things!

The Gear:
MMGT 16 Ver. 4.1 Build 1222
Button Board(s) 01.04
AXE FX III Ver. 1.15 (Sept. 7 final)
2 2M 5-pin cables from BTPA
GT Editor 4.1.0
Mac Ver. 10.11.6

Attachments

• 4.1_Blank.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 4.1_Blank_AFTER.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I think I got mine, at least: make sure "PC Mapping" in your MIDI/IO settings on the Fractal is set to "off."

Hello!

I updated the GT22 tonight to 4.1 and the Axe-Fx III to 1.15 All went well without issue with default settings. Everything functioned as expected. (great job Ron!!!) Now I am in the process of customizing my IA button layout and have run into some trouble. Page 1 configures fine with whatever button config I choose however when I try and assign IA buttons on Page 2 the process works fine and completes in the editor but when the transfer completes to the hardware all changes revert back to the way Page 2 was before the edit. I've not come across this problem before and wonder if I missed something in the setup with the new FW. I had been on 3.XX prior to today. Axe-Fx III is the only device being controlled by the GT22.

Thanks. Solved, maybe. My "PC Mapping" was already set to off.

I missed the earlier post about Patchbay & Midi Monitor. I set it up and was only "hearing" the GT. Then I created a "patch" with GT Out -> Axe In and another with Axe Out -> GT In and it worked. Something was wrong with the return messages from the Axe via midi cable. I checked the cables. I unplugged the Thru from the Axe which was connected to an H9, set GT Midi port back to Midi Out and the test failed. So I reloaded the Blank file above, unplugged the midi and USB connections, and reconnected the same midi cables only and Tests were successful. Maybe 5 Write Settings to Device and Get Presets in a row without a hitch.

So, it could have been a loose connection, misaligned 5-pin conn. in the 7-pin GT Out (unlikely), or Mac USB mystery as seen elsewhere in Axe Edit and Core Audio. Now, the betting man would say it was the cable and I accept that. But, I had full 2 way communication with blocks updating and full Looper control, which is fantastic BTW, so I don't think it was a loose cable. I am usually pretty good at checking cables and all are from BTPA and in excellent condition. Once it worked I got so excited and did like 4 steps without using science so I failed you Ron. Keep working on great improvements to your best in class devices and I am glad to be a part of them!

I think I got mine, at least: make sure "PC Mapping" in your MIDI/IO settings on the Fractal is set to "off."

Aha! That explains a lot. Mapping changes the way the Axe processes MIDI PCs. If possible, avoid Mapping. With a controller like the GT, there’s no reason to use Mapping.

FWIW, a system reset of the III, followed by setting the 3 required parameters values, would have helped finding the cause faster. ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

I have another channel button question. I would like to create this scenario for a given block:

4 buttons, for let's say drive 1 (cc118):
Button 1: channel A - cc toggle #118 off:None on:1
Button 2: channel B - cc toggle #118 off:None on:1
Button 3: channel C - cc toggle #118 off:None on:1
Button 4: channel D - cc toggle #118 off:None on:1

OR even cooler, have three buttons like this:

Button 1: channel B - cc toggle #118 off:1 on:2
Button 2: channel C - cc toggle #118 off:1 on:3
Button 3: channel D - cc toggle #118 off:1 on:4

Could it be possible to have the channel buttons update status, relative to the block status on the Axe FX III? Or can this only be done in the form of IA cycle under hold functions?

Last time I asked about this I had added a block bypass action to the buttons. I figured if I'd leave that out, the buttons would sync status but they don't.

Thanks! Jop

Hi all, just found the time to upgrade my Axe to 1.15 and the GT22 to 4.1. Worked perfect!

Although Ron's explanation is correct (ofcourse it is ;-) !), for the beginner that I am it contained some steps of which I did not know from the top of my head how to perform them or of which I was uncertain.
So, I created my own step-by-step instruction, elaborating a bit on Ron's instruction.
For those of you who are also beginners this could be helpful too perhaps, so here it is.

Step 1 - Preparations
· First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! You may want to use the Editor for this.
· Download and unzip the firmware file
· Copy the downloaded file to the USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
o All RJM firmware files end in the extension “.rjf”
o If there are any other .rjf files on the flash drive, delete them
o The Mastermind GT will load the first .rjf file it finds, so keeping only one firmware file on the drive at a time will make sure that the correct firmware is loaded.​
· Once the file is loaded to the flash drive, use the “Eject” option on the computer to safely remove the drive
o On the PC, go to “Computer” or “My Computer”, right click on the flash drive’s icon and select “Eject”. Remove the flash drive from the computer.​

Step 2 – Go back to factory default settings
· Go back to the factory default SW.
o Enter Setup Mode
o Choose System Functions Menu
o Press Factory Reset – This .eErases the memory of the Mastermind GT and restores all settings to the factory defaults

Step 3 – Instal the new SW Release
· Power down the MMGT 22
· Power on the Mastermind GT while holding the 1 and 3 buttons under the main screen, and while still holding them, power up the Mastermind GT
· Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
* (Note: I did not see the message "Bootloader" but simply released the buttons after a couple of seconds anyways, and no problem occurrred)
· Now plug the flash drive into your GT’s USB A port
· The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete, then the Mastermind GT will start up.
· Once it’s in the normal operating mode (all the displays lit up and a song or preset name displayed), you can unplug the flash drive and begin using your upgraded GT.

Step 4 – Restore you backed up settings
· Re-install your customised settings using the Editor and the back up you made

Done!

FWIW, a system reset of the III, followed by setting the 3 required parameters values, would have helped finding the cause faster. ;)

Very true, but that assumes that I don’t mind losing other system parameters that I had set up back to defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back