MASTERMIND GT 4.1beta1 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the long awaited 4.1 beta for the Mastermind GT!

FEATURES
  • Axe-Fx III support!!!
  • New button options for hold functions: "IA Mode Only" makes the hold function only work when IA mode is active. It will also only be displayed when IA Mode is active. "Show Name" allows to you turn on or off the display of the hold function's name in the button display.
  • Preliminary support for volume pedals (log taper correction)
  • Support for Ramble FX Kismet pedal
  • Editor now has "Show Tool Tips" option so you can turn them off when they start annoying you
  • A couple of bug fixes that I can't remember right now. :)
KNOWN ISSUES
  • Looper Once doesn't update the state of the buttons when the loop ends
  • Sometimes, the Channel label disappears from an IA button
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

THIS IS BETA FIRMWARE AND WILL LIKELY HAVE BUGS!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 3.1 or earlier, your GT will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind GT while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your GT. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGT41B1.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGTEditor-4.1b1.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Beta/MMGTEditor-4.1b1.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Mastermind GT Manual-4.0.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

I did a quick video overview, which you can find here:

Last edited:
FYI, I'm going out of town for a couple of days and will have limited connectivity. Hopefully the beta works for you all - if not, post here and I'll start on it again on Friday.

Hi Ron,

Axe fx functionality looks great! Thanks for this. I've been using preset per scene for some time, so the way you set this up will make my life easier.

One question: I've got a cable loom running from my rack to the fromt of the stage, with a 7 pin midi cable in there. From the video I understand the axe III doesn't do two way communication via a single cable, correct? Could I combine the axe midi in and out at the rack patch bay to still use the single cable?

Cheers

Installed and working!

The 6-pin XLR cable with the phantom power box does no longer work for bidirectional stuff. Does the Axe-Fx III not support bidirectional comms over MIDI IN? (same question as Job above)

I found a solution however, by combining 6-pin XLR with the phantom power box (DIN) for the Kemper I already. Two boxes are a little bulky, but at least I can keep using a single XLR cable. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jop
Ron,

Amazing job getting this out so quickly! Really appreciate the hard work.

Where would you like us to send some feedback?

FYI, The "Preset +" mode appears to be incrementing thru all of the scenes prior to incrementing preset.

That is, when I press "Preset +" on my mmgt, the scene on my axe iii increments. After it reaches scene 6, the axe increments to the next preset.

Update: 8/7 645pm: When I import preset names without Scenes, everything seems to work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
BUG REPORT:

With Get Scenes enabled when fetching preset names, preset functionality changes into scenes functionality, systemwide.

Preset buttons become Scene buttons, the Preset Menu changes into a Scenes menu (covering scenes in multiple presets), etc.

I can't tell if this is a bug or intentional. I know that I would vote against it, as it is very confusing and totally changes the way I set up the GT.

I prefer keeping things as they were, and adding support for the new Axe-Fx III features on top of that, such as display of scene names fetched from the III, preset+scene titles in the main display, etc. Alas, these features are not available unless we perform Get Scenes with its downfalls.

Last edited:
Note: Please make sure to enable "Send Realtime Sysex" on the AXE III if you haven't already. This is probably noted somewhere, but, I forgot to do it initially.

How do I set up a single MIDI cable for 2-way communication between the GT22 and the Axed-FX III? I have the power adapter and a 7-pin MIDI cable. This was all working with my Axe-FX II, but doesn't seem to be working with the III. I can't "get preset names" either. It's probably caused by the same issue. Is the tuner supposed to be working on the pedal? I don't see that (also 2-way problem).

How do I set up a single MIDI cable for 2-way communication between the GT22 and the Axed-FX III? I have the power adapter and a 7-pin MIDI cable. This was all working with my Axe-FX II, but doesn't seem to be working with the III. I can't "get preset names" either. It's probably caused by the same issue. Is the tuner supposed to be working on the pedal? I don't see that (also 2-way problem).

I think we need 2 cables ran to the pedalboard now. :(

What are the specific settings on the Axe-FX III and the GT22, what cables to connect, power, etc. I had all this working on the Axe-FX II with a power adapter (5-pin to 7-pin) and a single 7-pin MIDI cable to power the GT22 with 2-way MIDI. I have tried two cables, plugging the power in directly, etc. I need the specifi steps to start afresh. I am not new to any of this stuff, but nothing seems to work properly, other than sending program changes one-way from the GT to the Axe-FX.

Still have to unpack my stuff from the gig this weekend... i'll give it a shot in a sec.

are you on 1.14 firmware on the axe?

Now the program change buttons don't even light up. IA Mode shows some looper buttons, but when I press it again, the program change buttons go dark and do nothing.

I spoke to Ron a couple of weeks ago and he said we need to Connect Cables to both Midi In and Midi Out for full Compatability. I ordered this and a Cable.
https://shop.rjmmusic.com/phantom-power-adapter-xlr6f-two-inputs/
I have all that. None of it works now. I updated the Fractal to 1.14 firmware, updated the GT22 firmware. It briefly worked (1-way only) with the stock preset names. Now the preset names on the first row don't even light up. There is no communication at all. The tuner doesn't work, etc. This whole thing looks like a dud at this point.

I am powering the GT22 directly to the unit and I have two MIDI cables connected. I have tried other cables. Nothing.

I have all that. None of it works now. I updated the Fractal to 1.14 firmware, updated the GT22 firmware. It briefly worked (1-way only) with the stock preset names. Now the preset names on the first row don't even light up. There is no communication at all. The tuner doesn't work, etc. This whole thing looks like a dud at this point.

I am powering the GT22 directly to the unit and I have two MIDI cables connected. I have tried other cables. Nothing.
This might sound like a dumb question but here it goes. Did you go into the MMGT22 settings and pick the AXE FX III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back