MASTERMIND GT FIRMWARE 3.4.9 / EDITOR 3.4.6

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware 3.4.8 and editor 3.4.6 are now available. This is kind of a minor release; a bug fix and a couple new features:
  • Changed the way presets & banks are specified when you define a device. You now specify the maximum PC a device accepts for each bank (usually 127), and you specify the total number of presets the device has. This scheme accommodates Strymon pedals, which have one bank of 128 presets and one of 72, for a total of 200 presets. Doing this fixes how the Device PC +/- buttons behave when going down from preset 0. Please note that you should go into your Strymon devices in the GT configuration and editing the number of presets - it should be 200 for Timeline and Mobius, 300 for BigSky.
  • There's also a "Flat Numbering" setting that switches a device between using PC & bank numbers or using a single preset number. This was already a hidden feature that was used by the Axe-Fx driver - you could specify preset numbers up to 768 without having to do the math to split it into PC and bank. Now, this can be applied to any device that supports MIDI banks. NOTE: This only applies to the PC Messages section of the Presets tab. If you're changing presets using actions, you'll still need to send individual PC and bank messages.
  • A new action type: System / Setlist that allows you to switch setlists and/or between preset and setlist modes.
  • Fixed a crash that would happen when MIDI Clock is set to Slave and the incoming tempo changes rapidly.
UPDATE 10/19/16:
Version 3.4.1 fixes a bug that affected use with the Axe-Fx and Kemper - buttons that controlled effect blocks would not always work as expected.

UPDATE 12/22/16:
Version 3.4.2 has a bunch of fixes and improvements:
  • Added support for Selah and Source Audio devices
  • Added "IA" option to Preset 2nd Press. Second or subsequent presses on preset buttons toggle the button's IA settings (the same settings that would be active in IA mode). If IA On Color is set to something other than black, the preset button will change to that color when the IA is activated.
  • Updated CCs for Line 6 Helix
  • Added the ability for the GT to estimate tempo BPM from the tempo flash messages sent by Axe-Fx and Kemper. This works well with the Axe-Fx, less so with Kemper (the flashes are not super accurate). You can turn off "Show Tempo" if you can't get the tempo value to settle down.
  • Added "Show Tempo" setting to button settings. This will allow you to choose whether a tempo button also shows a BPM value. "Flash w/ Tempo" also needs to be on for this to work.
  • Added Cancel button to preset, page, etc. menus
  • Fixed Song/Setlist mode to only highlight the current preset button, even if the same preset appears multiple times in the song.
  • Fixed bugs concerning setlist and song updates using the editor
  • Added support for Kemper firmware 5.x. This won't work 100% correctly until Kemper releases firmware 5.1.0 (soon, they tell me!)
  • Fixed a bug in the editor where the setlist menu on the Globals tab didn't reflect changes made to setlist names on the Setlist tab
  • Fixed a bug that made the GT do weird things when you have no preset buttons defined
  • Fixed a bug that made the Device PC +/- buttons interact weirdly with the Send Redundant PC setting
UPDATE 12/23/16:
Version 3.4.3 fixes the Preset 2nd Press "IA" option - somehow, it got messed up in the 3.4.2 release. This is only a firmware release, no change needed in the editor.

UPDATE 1/18/17:
Version 3.4.4 includes the following:
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the local page from being selected in menus and other places.
  • Fixed a problem that made the tuner display stick around when changing presets.
  • Fixed a rounding error in tempo display
  • Fixed a problem that prevented a third press on a preset button from returning from global preset.
  • Added a setting "Calculate tempo flash" which disables or enables the calculation of tempo from tap tempo flash messages sent by Axe-Fx and Kemper. This is off by default, you will need to turn it on to re-enable this feature. Until I update the editor, this can only be edited on the device itself. If you change the parameter and read it into the editor, the editor will preserve the setting, but it won't allow you to edit it.
  • Tempo changes no longer interfere with bank select mode.
  • Fixed a bug that caused problems on hold functions that control Axe-Fx blocks
  • Preset/Song/Page,etc. menus now let the Prev and Next buttons repeat when held. When reaching the beginning or end of the list, repeat will stop, but releasing and pressing the button again will wrap around to the other end of the list.
  • Fixed a problem that happens when entering setup mode or sending settings to the device when the device is on the global preset.
  • Enabled the ability to send note messages on preset change
UPDATE 2/3/17:
Editor version 3.4.4 includes applicable changes from the above list, as well as:
  • Adds support for Source Audio programmable EQ
  • Add "Calculate tempo from flash" global setting - this controls whether the GT tries to calculate tempo from flash messages sent form Axe-Fx and KPA
  • Fixed bugs related to copying and swapping pages
  • When assigning default buttons for a KPA on GT/22, it will automatically get rid of the sixth preset button. There needs to be exactly five preset buttons in order for Performance mode to work correctly.
UPDATE 2/7/17:
Editor version 3.4.5 fixes a bug that screwed up editing hold functions on local pages.

UPDATE 3/17/17:
Firmware version 3.4.5 fixes a bug that caused a problem with preset buttons in remote mode.

UPDATE 4/10/17:
Firmware/editor version 3.4.6 has the following changes:
  • Chase Bliss Brothers support
  • Mesa TC-50 support
  • Song Menu button now displays songs in the currently active setlist
  • Fixed IA Mode and Tuner action issues in Remote Mode
  • Fixed copy and paste of external switches in editor
  • Fixed hold button action issue in editor
UPDATE 4/12/2017:
Firmware version 3.4.7 fixes two bugs:
  • Fixes a bug in Song Menu
  • Fixes a bug that would cause a song to not load in specific cases
UPDATE 7/21/2017:
Firmware version 3.4.8 fixes a few more bugs:
  • Fixed an issue with Preset-/+ buttons and songs that have only one preset
  • Fixed an issue affecting tap tempo on external switches
  • Fixed Page Preview, which was broken in several interesting ways
  • Setlist Menu now goes to first song and preset in list
UPDATE 10/25/2017:
Firmware version 3.4.9 fixes two more bugs:
  • Fixed a potential lockup bug
  • Fixed a bug involving CC Linked buttons that are also in groups
Update Instructions:

1). BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS!!! If you have to go back to 3.3, your GT will factory reset.

2). Download and unzip the firmware file below, then copy it to a USB flash drive. Be sure to select the "Eject" option on your PC to make sure that the drive is in the right state before pulling it from your computer.

3). Power up the GT while holding the two black buttons under the screen. Wait until the "Mastermind GT Bootloader" screen shows up, then plug in the flash drive. It should run the update at that point, which takes less than a minute.

Note: the first time the GT boots up after the update, it will need to convert your settings to 3.4 format. It will take a few minutes to do this, so be patient and let it finish!

Here are the files:

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT349.zip
Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Masterm ... al-3.4.pdf
Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.4.6.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.4.6.zip

An online manual for the editor can be found here: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/
The PDF version is here: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Mastermind Editor Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Firmware 3.4.0 is now available. This is kind of a minor release; a bug fix and a couple new features:
  • Changed the way presets & banks are specified when you define a device. You now specify the maximum PC a device accepts for each bank (usually 127), and you specify the total number of presets the device has. This scheme accommodates Strymon pedals, which have one bank of 128 presets and one of 72, for a total of 200 presets. Doing this fixes how the Device PC +/- buttons behave when going down from preset 0. Please note that you should go into your Strymon devices in the GT configuration and editing the number of presets - it should be 200 for Timeline and Mobius, 300 for BigSky.
  • There's also a "Flat Numbering" setting that switches a device between using PC & bank numbers or using a single preset number. This was already a hidden feature that was used by the Axe-Fx driver - you could specify preset numbers up to 768 without having to do the math to split it into PC and bank. Now, this can be applied to any device that supports MIDI banks. NOTE: This only applies to the PC Messages section of the Presets tab. If you're changing presets using actions, you'll still need to send individual PC and bank messages.
  • A new action type: System / Setlist that allows you to switch setlists and/or between preset and setlist modes.
  • Fixed a crash that would happen when MIDI Clock is set to Slave and the incoming tempo changes rapidly.
Update Instructions:

1). BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS!!! If you have to go back to 3.3, your GT will factory reset.

2). Download and unzip the firmware file below, then copy it to a USB flash drive. Be sure to select the "Eject" option on your PC to make sure that the drive is in the right state before pulling it from your computer.

3). Power up the GT while holding the two black buttons under the screen. Wait until the "Mastermind GT Bootloader" screen shows up, then plug in the flash drive. It should run the update at that point, which takes less than a minute.

Note: the first time the GT boots up after the update, it will need to convert your settings to 3.4 format. It will take a few minutes to do this, so be patient and let it finish!

Here are the files:

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT340.zip
Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Masterm ... al-3.4.pdf (coming soon)
Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.4.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.4.0.zip

An online manual for the editor can be found here: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/
The PDF version is here: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Mastermind Editor Manual.pdf

After the update, my GT doesn't seem to be correctly reading the block statuses from my Axe FX XL+. For instance, I have a preset that contains no Rotary block, but when I load the preset, the Rotary block on the GT is lit up. This is a hold block and the main function and the hold function are both highlighted. But again, there is no Rotary block present in the preset. I'm seeing the same thing with other presets. Not all of them, but many of them.
-
Austin

I went back to 3.3.1, restored my config and everything fine. Not sure what it is about 3.4.0 that made it behave so weirdly, but it was definitely not usable for me. One other thing it was doing was changing the effects states when I hit the preset button again (I have it set to reload the preset). So, I would go to, say preset 133, and it would have a particular read-out for the effects state. Then if I hit the 133 preset button again, it stays on the preset and everything sounds the same (as it should), but now the IA buttons are showing different (incorrect) states, blocks that aren't present show as active, etc...

Very strange.
-
Austin

Can you send me your settings so I can investigate?

I went back to 3.3.1, but I'll go back up to 3.4.0 tonight and upload my config file. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot things this weekend; I should have more tonight.
-
Austin

Actually, the 3.3.1 file would be more helpful - I can see if it's a problem in the settings conversion process.

Actually, the 3.3.1 file would be more helpful - I can see if it's a problem in the settings conversion process.

Ahh. In that case, here you go.
-
Austin

Attachments

• AQ Axe FX Config with Double Preset Buttons-Final.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Ok, can you give this release a try? It should fix the weirdness with the buttons.

One thing to note that the Preset 2nd Press reload thing is only half of what's needed. Also make sure "Ignore Redundant PC" is turned off in the Axe-Fx's I/O / MIDI settings page.

Attachments

• MMGT341.zip
    669 KB · Views: 3
Ok, can you give this release a try? It should fix the weirdness with the buttons.

One thing to note that the Preset 2nd Press reload thing is only half of what's needed. Also make sure "Ignore Redundant PC" is turned off in the Axe-Fx's I/O / MIDI settings page.

Yes, I do have that setting correct on the Axe. I'll give this release a shot tonight and let you know. Thanks!
-
Austin

That appears to have done the trick, thanks.
-
Austin

I just updated mine from 3.2.3 to 3.3.1 and though heck why not just update to 3.4.1. Here's a few things noticed:

Whenever I'm higher than bank 4 and hit the bank down button, it goes down to bank 4. It works fine for the first 4 banks but then anything above makes it go to bank 4 selection.

Also noticed the tempo number doesn't update on the button screen or main screen when changing tempo and the flash is jumping around. (both work fine without the midi cable in)

I've just swapped two presets (6 and 11) and now what happens is that if I select preset 6 it goes to preset 11 and vice versa. I have it set up with 5 presets along the bottom, so that makes 6 and 11 the same button. If I hit that same button (being either preset 6 or 11) it goes to the other one. (again works fine without the midi cable in)

Another thing I just noticed as I'm typing is that when canceling on the preset number page, the main screen doesn't change until hitting another preset button.

I attached my 3.4.1 and 3.3.1 files, if thats any help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• mmgt [3.4.1] 20161020.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Mastermind Setting 161016 Firmware Update.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
First thing, check your bank down button. It now has Min and Max settings - the max is probably set to 4. To return it to the old behavior, set both min and max to 1, that will remove the limits on the bank buttons.

Tempo numbers only change if you're receiving a MIDI clock signal. It doesn't try to calculate a numerical tempo from the messages from the Axe-fx because it would be pretty inaccurate. Regarding the flash, I think you're displaying two tempos - one generated by the GT and one by the Axe-Fx. Turn off the "Update on Preset Change" and "Send on Preset Change" settings on the tap tempo button and that should sort it out.

Regarding the presets, you need to edit the PC numbers - if, for example, you edit preset 6, then look at the PC number being sent, it's sending PC 11 to the Axe-Fx. Correct the PC numbers and it'll fix it for you.

I'll check the preset number menu issue.

Thanks Ron, I will try these when I get home tonight! :)

For the preset select mode are you saying that the main screen still shows "select a preset" even when you hit cancel and stays that way until you hit a preset button outside of preset mode? Because that's not happening with me at all. It's behaving just like it always does as far as I can tell.
-
Austin

For the preset select mode are you saying that the main screen still shows "select a preset" even when you hit cancel and stays that way until you hit a preset button outside of preset mode? Because that's not happening with me at all. It's behaving just like it always does as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I saw it last night as I was typing out the post and it does exactly how you described it above. It's not too bad as I've got it set on a hold button so I only hit it when I need to but it's just something I noticed.

Yeah, I saw it last night as I was typing out the post and it does exactly how you described it above. It's not too bad as I've got it set on a hold button so I only hit it when I need to but it's just something I noticed.

Ok, I think I see what you're talking about. There are 2 kinds of preset selection modes, one where all the buttons show presets and one where you can enter in the preset number. The former is working normally for me. However, the number selection one is not. I use the number selection one quite a bit, but I've actually never cancelled out of it before :D At any rate, here's what I'm noticing. Say I am not on Preset 1 and I want to select preset 001. I enter the preset number select menu...
1. If I tap in 0 0 1, the preset is selected normally
2. If I tap in 0 1 DONE, the preset is selected normally
3. If I tap in 1 DONE, the preset is selected normally
4. If I tap CANCEL, the main screen reads "Select a Preset" until I tap one of my preset buttons. IA buttons will work, but the display will still read "Select a Preset" until I tap a preset button.

Now, if I am already on preset 1 and I use the numerical screen to re-select it (yeah, I know it's stupid :D ) then all the scenarios above end up with "Select a Preset" stuck on the screen until I tap a preset button.

I use the preset number select feature fairly often but I never use it to select the same preset I'm on and I never cancel out of it, so I didn't pick up on this behavior at all.

Good catch.
-
Austin

Regarding the presets, you need to edit the PC numbers - if, for example, you edit preset 6, then look at the PC number being sent, it's sending PC 11 to the Axe-Fx. Correct the PC numbers and it'll fix it for you.

Is this something that can be incorporated into the preset list in the MMGT Editor? When dragging presets, the pc number changed to the corresponding slot that it is move to and likewise for any others that have shifted positions? Although unknown to me there could be reason it's as for how it is now.

Back